• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stimming frequencies

JoyChaos

Well either i've stopped paying attention or something but it seems like the frequency in which is stim is doing down. i dont catch myself anymore and i hardly fidget with any of my fidgets i keep in my smock at work. i chalked it up to being TOO focused on worked cuz the holiday season is super busy, but now i'm not sure. i have always use delayed echolalia and that has gone up in place of chewing. now im biting my lips more often. but flapping and finger movements have become seldom or only happen at home. anyone else experience stimming at different frequencies?

Oh, I thought from the title you meant stimming at different frequencies like 60 motions a minute (which would be 1 Hertz btw... 120 motions would be 2 Hertz). :) But anyway, I think I do it now more often then when I was younger. I didn't really keep track (or know) along the way.

I've experienced differing frequencies, yes. It depends on stress. When I worked a super-stressful job, I would covertly stim all day. With a non-stressful job, I hardly have the urge to stim at all. My thoroughly-chewed lips are thanking me.

thinking of getting a job change. i just dont know when or what, but i need a less stressful job thats for sure. *bites lips while typing*

I think I stim less than when I was a child or teenager.
But, it does seem to depend on the stress of the situation at the time.

The one big stim for me has always been the need to rock. And I couldn't live without a rocking chair/chairs.
Now I can. And I don't need rocking motions in a regular chair even if I feel stressed. I did as a child.

What's odd to me is when I do watch a little TV at night
and I should be in a relaxed mood, I fidget.
I can't sit still. I have the urge to move my feet and legs around. Same with my hands. Like I can't find a comfortable position.
Maybe I just need a rocking chair for watching TV again?

I have the lip biting habit too. That can be anytime.

Mine are mostly stress related.

If I'm depressing one, another will take over.

I can't remember the last time I was completely still, centred and relaxed.

i find that I need to always be doing or fiddling with something, but what I do varies - sometimes I play with my hair more, at other times I pick my lips more, I go through phases. If I'm really focused on something I go motionless.
Maybe I just need a rocking chair for watching TV again?

I have a rocking chair and I don't stop rocking when I'm in it, when I'm on a normal chair I don't rock so much.

I can tell when I'm getting overloaded; my knee bounces like a superball in a paint shaker.

I have a tendency to flap my hands when I get excited or if im really stressed, I also grimace and have facial ticks when Im distressed. I have a tendency to pick at my face and any scabs I might have, also the skin around my nails (theyre always sore as a result), play with my hair and facial hair (I mean pick dandruff out and I guess dried soap?) Yes quite an exciting past time, what an eventful life.

I have a tendency to flap my hands when I get excited or if im really stressed, I also grimace and have facial ticks when Im distressed. I have a tendency to pick at my face and any scabs I might have, also the skin around my nails (theyre always sore as a result), play with my hair and facial hair (I mean pick dandruff out and I guess dried soap?) Yes quite an exciting past time, what an eventful life.
i too like to pick my dandruff lol.

Little pieces of lint or those little round balls of material where there is a lot of use on the fabric.

Guess that's called 'knit picking!'

Frequencies? I stim at 60hz if that answers the question...

No, but seriously, if things like picking at lips, fidgeting and cracking fingers count I find myself doing it often. Probably stress related, and trying to be aware of it and suppress it doesn't always work out as planned.

i remember a time i was what i know now as stimming and my friend told me to stop being neurotic. i was just rubbing my jacket over and over and adjusting the buttons repetitively. i didnt even really notice it till she brought attention to it. i have a long history of suppressing my stims to the point where i didnt even know what my stims were in my journey of self discovery. any of my overt ones were packed away as a child and replaced with ones that were more subtle. like excessive blinking, biting my lips, picking my cuticles. i kept some because they didnt seem to bother people like sucking the sleeves of my shirt or the string of a sweater.

idk i guess i was feeling like maybe i'm making all this up and i'm super NT and just weird. i dont feel that way anymore, but i have noticed that i'm not stimming again. and i wonder why that might be

I just wanted to ask if anyone has found a way to reduce stimming? I flap my arms/hands/fingers so much I have tendonitis. My arms and shoulders are hurting me so badly. Even though I'm trying not to do it, I still am. I'm in my early thirties and doing this my whole life is ruining the joints in my arms. The only other stim I've found I can replace it with and still be socially acceptable is smoking. But I dont want to smoke this much, I'm literally getting sick from it. I like smoking because my hands are busy and I hold each drag a little bit until my heart beats in my ears. Urgh, I wish I didn't have to stop sucking my thumb. That's the one I changed from originally but nothings quite as satisfying. I got caught once sucking my thumb to stop flapping, I was in too much pain. Now that person teases me relentlessly, secretly I hate them. Helppppp

New Threads

Top Bottom