• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stand Up Comedy

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
:lol:
Can you watch somebody on DVD for an hour or two, telling jokes? What do you like about it?
Who are some of your favorites? What makes you like that particular person/ character most?

Yes, I can watch that, and usually I'm bummed out that it doesn't last another 12 hours or so, lol.

One of my favorites is Louis CK, as well as George Carlin... why? Observational humor is great. It's pretty much the same way I spend my day looking at things... each day, every day.

Oh, and then there's Anthony Jeselnik. I'm kinda excited for his next album. But yeah, it's only on cd, not dvd (yet).

I also like Whitney Cummings quite a lot, as well as Lisa Lampanelli, just for the sake of being, just like Jeselnik, quite "offensive". On that same line Daniel Tosh.

Oh, and Emo Phillips, he's awesome. Such great non-sequitur delivery and great play on words.

Dimitri Martin is great, I'm not to keen on his musical musings during shows though. Though I do like the musical ramblings of Tim Minchin.

Let's see... Carrottop, because... prop comedy. Yeah, I know Gallagher does it as well, but I haven't seen a lot of him though. But it's funny cause you actually have to watch those, instead of doing it on album.

Sam Kinison was awesome because... intensity! But likewise, I did like the stand-up stuff Henry Rollins did.

And let's not forget Ricky Gervais. But also, observational. Just like the late Bill Hicks. Oh, and then there's Artie Lange who had some funny things.

Recently I'm listening, not so much watching, parts of Kumail Nanjiani, and I kinda identify with a lot of his stuff cause it's videogame related and he's about my age if I'm correct, thus it goes back to childhood gaming and a lot of 8 and 16-bit stuff. Lots of gaming references in his material I found.

And while it's not really that he has a lot of stand-up shows going on, I'm quite fond of Craig Ferguson. So sometimes I watch his talkshow. But still, as someone who does/did stand-up he qualifies as a stand-up.

Oh, aaaaaaaaaaaand... Pablo Francisco because he can do voices so well, and make things totally absurd. The "Little Tortillia Boy" skit still gets me laughing. Perfect Don LaFontaine (the movie preview guy) and Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonations all will providing sound effects and all for a fictional movie.

But that's just the US or in general English speaking comedians.

There's a few dutch ones as well, as well as one from Belgium.

Theo Maassen; observational
Jochem Meyer; absurd who suffers from ADHD, and exploits that on his shows very well, lol.
Alex Agnew (from Belgium); absurdist, offensive and observational and includes a lot of over the top heavy metal related stuff in his acts as well.

So yeah, I do like stand-up.

In general I like those roasts comedy central does yearly or so. Those kind of jokes are kinda up my alley.

Last edited:
Jeff Foxworthy and Adam Sandler respectively used to leave me in stitches. Dane Cook also had that effect on me once after I watched the extended version of his Comedy Central debut.

It's very rare that a comedian gets me to the state where I wonder if I might need a change of clothes afterwards but it does happen now and again.

I'm a bit of a stand-up junkie. Like King said, Louis CK is one of my favorites. I love the way he can tell a joke, then go back and tear apart the joke in a brutal fashion of observational insults and hate.

Christopher Titus is another favorite, mainly is "Love is Evol". Its basically a vulgar hour long hate-fest directed towards his ex-wife and love in general. Anybody that's been in a miserable relationship will understand and find all the humor in his jokes. The contrast towards the end where he throws in optimism about finding new love gives it a bit of a "happily ever after" feel.

Lewis Black was the one that got me into comedy. He tends to base his humor off of the stupidity of the world and everyone around him. After you watch some of his stuff, you'll start to feel smart compared to everyone else haha one of my favorite jokes of his goes (vaguely) like:

"There's so many kinds of milk these days. Too many kinds. Whole milk, skim milk, soy milk, 2% milk, lactose intolerant milk. Lactose intolerant milk! I was raised to believe that lactose intolerant people can't have milk... so what the **** is in the carton?!?!?!?!"

All that "goofy" comedy doesnt really make me laugh. I love comedy thats filled with hate, anger and insults :lol:

I like so many that I cant pick a particular favorite, the reason why I love stand up comedy is because I don?t reckon I would be good at it because people don?t realize how much work is involved to keep other people laughing constantly for a half hour, hour or two hour show, that takes skill and dedication. My hats off to these people and the joy they bring by being humorous!

Here's a few of my faves for you then:

Lee Evans
Bill Cosby
Jimeoin
Al Murray "The Pub Landlord"
Jimmy Carr
Adam Hills
Larry The Cable Guy
Steven Lynch
Richard Pryor
Maria Bamford
Arj Barker
Gabriel Iglesias
Tammy Pescatelli
Eddie Murphy
Bill Bailey

Last edited:
I haven't watched stand up for years, I remember I obsessively watched a billy connoly video my mum had when I was about 12ish. There were certain jokes I would rewind and watch over and over again because the way in which he told them amused me more then the joke itself. I can still clearly remember 2 of them, the words he said, the way he expressed each part with his hands / body etc, the way his face screwed up, his hair flapping about.

I did catch a few minutes of a ricky gervais routine a few months back, that was okay. I prefer comedy shows/sketch shows like darkplace, IT crowd, brasseye, league of gentlemen....oh and stuff like family guy/american dad, I like to see the joke otherwise I might not get it (and even then I sometimes ask my husband to explain the joke).

One of my favourite stand up comedians is the late Bill Hicks. I love the way he ridiculed the things in life that in my opinion deserved to be ridiculed like extremist politicians and absurd religious beliefs. Another favourite is Billy Connolly with his sharp humour about the everyday things in life.

my current favorite comedian is dylan moran, because he is blunt and honest.

'look at silvio berlusconi, a man so crooked he SLEEPS on a spiral staircase, so corrupt everytime he smiles an angel gets gonorrhea! He's had so many facelifts his face has moved to the top of his head- you have to get on a STEPLADDER to WATCH him lie'

Last edited:
Where as nearly every BBC show consisting of comedians twitting each other for half an hour is great, it's more rare for me to enjoy stand up. For me jokes need to be delicately constructed. Brutal honesty is great, but there needs to be a reason for every quirk. I always liked George Carlin. And for me it's easy to identify to Simon Amstell, ref.

I love stand up comedy, but I'm really picky with it. My favorites are the likes of George Carlin's observational humor, Steven Wright and Zach Galifinakis with their ironic and observational humor. I really liked Gallagher when I was a kid, especially the food smashing with his big hammer. Lisa Lampanelli is hillarious. Chris Rock is another. I really like Henry Cho as well, and Ralphie May's early stand up but not his later work. There's a few more but those are the ones who really stand out to me.

I LOVE stand-up comedians! I watch them on Comedy Cenrtal often. I once wanted to be a comedian (I still do a little bit, but it's just one of those childish dreams), because I like to make people laugh. I share jokes all the time. Some of my favorite comedians are Daniel Tosh, Bob Marley, Gabriel "Fluffy" Eglesias, Ron White, Larry The Cable Guy, Jeff Foxworthy, and Bill Engvall. They never fail to make me laugh.

I love standup! It's yet another obsession of mine. My favorites are Patton Oswalt, Louis CK, Jim Gaffigan, Mike Birbiglia, Greg Giraldo (RIP) Nick Swardson. I also love Craig Ferguson, George Carlin (RIP) and Jon Stewart.

New Threads

Top Bottom