• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Special needs mom

Greta

Hey my name is Greta and i have 2 and possibly a 3rd child on the spectrum. I was googling Autism and Chlorine pools and came across this site. Would really like to get some information on the effects of chlorine pools. Thanks!

Well there's one obvious thing that chlorine can do for some autistic people. Chlorine tends to smell when mixed with certain...unpleasant substances so if a person is hypersensitive to their olfactory sense then this might give them a hard time.

Of course there's more than just chlorine to take into consideration at a swimming pool. It can be a very noisey place with children and adults shouting and that reverberates all around the building. Other children being violent in the water could upset autistic children, I hated that. That upsets allistic children too.

And also whilst chlorine doesn't cause this I can't imagine it helps, I for one find getting water in my eyes to be very painful. It happens in the shower and it's horrible. At the swimming pool it's no better. I wasn't able to learn how to swim properly until I got hold of snorkel goggles because unlike every other pair of goggle I ever used these ones actually worked!

That's my input here. Hope that helps.

Chlorine hurts my eyes, but other than that it has no bad effects, but I wear goggles in the Pool.

Chlorine hurts my eyes, but other than that it has no bad effects, but I wear goggles in the Pool.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's not pleasant in my eyes, but I just wear goggles. My main problem in a swimming pool is not having my glasses :p

Thank you i appreciate the responses. My daughter is 10. Was not diagnosed autistic due to no verbal delays. She has a long list of diagnosis though and the few main ones are Sensory Processing Disorder. OCD/Anxiety and Tics. She has severe sensory issues. OT has worked some (she hasnt worn underware or socks since she was 6) She has never had any problems swimming until Friday. After swimming she kept coughing (out of water) and then vomited blood. She went to conmunity indoor pool which was packed due to Springbreak. Her along with 3 others. ALL 100% healthy. She apparently was walking and started coughing. She then vomited up blood. I was not there and when she called me from medical she did not mention thr blood! I went to get the kids and they all had sore throats and were coughing. None threw up. I had to sign papers and nothing mentioned blood. She was showering. When done we left and that was when she told me about tge blood and the others mentioned it as well. She told me she did swallow a lot of water. She doesnt understand that that is not good she doesnt fear things at all. Could that cause her to throw up blood?

welcome.png

At first I was thinking it could be dry drowning (wich is having too much water in the lungs) but this is not supposed to cause blood vomiting. And that all three of your kids have that makes it even less likely. It' definetly not related to autism and they should go to the hospital immediately!

New Threads

Top Bottom