• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some doubts about aspergers and anxiety

Nanda

Last week i went to the doctor who works on my college because of an pet allergy (such a shame having that, since i love my red haired buddy Dachshund). In the main time, i asked him about some help on my anxiety issues. I asked the doctor also if he was familiar with Aspergers on adults and said that i think i have it, he said that it was not possible, that my issues was caused by my anxiety and that was it. It makes me feel in doubt with myself, its the second time this happens and i'm not so sure about what i have so i can call it and work with to be better. Can someone mistake aspergers and anxiety?
Beside the awkwardness in public ( i cover it up with some kind of humor, but not aways work so well), and the others aspects that makes me think i belong on the spectrum, the one it's bothering me the most is that i have some difficulty making eye contact, mainly with my male teachers and i have to meet one of them every week because paperwork for my graduation). I barely looked at the doctors face, feels so uncomfortable... it's very frustrating because latter on i was felling like i was acting, like i could do that, just did make enough effort to, but i wasn't! (Sorry if i can't make myself clear enough).
Have said that, i would like you thoughts and opionions.

Desde já, obrigada :)

Can someone mistake aspergers and anxiety?

Given that AS can often lead to crippling anxiety (I know it has and still does for me), I'd say it's pretty darned easy to assume the simplest explanation, which is to say, just the anxiety. AS of course goes well beyond social anxiety, and if it's just a GP that you saw (correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you say that's what it sounds like), it's entirely likely that he doesn't have the expertise to spot Aspergers...or, for that matter, many other psychiatric and neurological issues. And that's not something you can expect of a GP, either. It takes someone with more specific training to make any sort of diagnosis like that, be it mental illness, Aspergers...you name it.

Given that AS can often lead to crippling anxiety (I know it has and still does for me), I'd say it's pretty darned easy to assume the simplest explanation, which is to say, just the anxiety. AS of course goes well beyond social anxiety, and if it's just a GP that you saw (correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you say that's what it sounds like), it's entirely likely that he doesn't have the expertise to spot Aspergers...or, for that matter, many other psychiatric and neurological issues. And that's not something you can expect of a GP, either. It takes someone with more specific training to make any sort of diagnosis like that, be it mental illness, Aspergers...you name it.

Yes, was a GP, i talked once with an psychologist, thats why i know about my anxiety issue (although i don't know specifically). Find someone with the proper expertise on autism or Aspergers its no easy work, in fact i dont think there is such thing where i live. You have to be very stereotypical to start with, and i'm not, i think.

Yes, was a GP, i talked once with an psychologist, thats why i know about my anxiety issue (although i don't know specifically). Find someone with the proper expertise on autism or Aspergers its no easy work, in fact i dont think there is such thing where i live. You have to be very stereotypical to start with, and i'm not, i think.
It's been said before elsewhere on the forum, but my understanding (and I am reticent to dive too deeply into gender issues here) is that female Aspies tend to be much under diagnosed, as the symptoms can be expressed quite differently, and sometimes it's hard to distinguish between "simple nerd" and "Aspie." I've been with plenty of therapists, and really, you have to be able to find one who has a particular specialty in the field of neurological conditions (I almost said "disorders," but that is downright disrespectful to those who don't fall into the NT category). My personality is very feminine, so I'm amazed that they were able to spot my Aspergers and NLD so easily. It takes a true expert in the field to not only recognize the condition, but also to know how to deal with it and treat it. Lord knows, I've run into a number of therapists who, though they may have had the best intentions, and might even be very good at their job, are just not equipped to deal with the specifics of autism.

That is what I fear, because, despite people only taking the word of a doctor or psychologist they go by the book and if we do not fit the criteria, we pushed aside! Also, aspergers is not fully recognised in females.

I too, suffer terrible anxiety, and eye contact is very difficult for me! I can find myself not being able to look my husband in the eyes and he will often say. Look at me please.

There could, naturally be other reasons for your issues. Like for example, you mention not being able to look at men in the eyes and so, I wonder if you have been abused? For I find this often, but it was worse. However, it is both sexes, I struggle with.

Do online tests and see how you fair.

Typically your councilor is the one who put's in the request to have you assessed (sometimes starting with their preferred aspie questionnaire) as a lot of them won't directly diagnose you during the sessions. Your anxiety is the key to getting that help so see where it goes. There are loads of online tests (typically referenced in our signatures below our posts) so give them a go as Suzanne suggested.

It sounds like you are going through the same sort of thing that happened to me.

(warning; life story!!) I've been treated on and off for anxiety and depression for about 10 years with no luck. At the beginning of this year I asked my GP to refer me to a psychiatrist so I could finally figure out what is going on. But he said I would have to do CBT first and if that didn't work then I could see a psychiatrist, so I did CBT and I was told I have low self-esteem. I kept doing those test for anxiety and depression and they always came back with low scores (which means I had only very mild symptoms). When I said what things I really struggled with I was told things like 'you are good at those things but you can't see it because of your low self-esteem' and 'everyone struggles sometimes'. I was discharged in the end because they said they couldn't help me, and I was referred somewhere else, and they couldn't help me either. So I gave up asking and didn't bother trying again until I had a massive meltdown on Halloween and got taken to A&E because my husband was really worried and didn't know what was going on, and I couldn't speak or remember what had happened. I had read a bit about Aspergers and the more I read, the more I thought 'maybe that is it'. So we found a charity nearby and they assessed me and agreed that I have Aspergers. I have read a lot of stories about women being told they have anxiety and depression, or borderline personality disorder (which a psych nurse had tried to tell me was a possibility) only for them to finally discover it is Aspergers. Sorry, I tried to keep that as short as I could!

Anyway, what helped me was reading a lot about Aspergers in women. I read the book Aspergirls and also found this blog post really good- Aspienwomen: Adult Women with Asperger Syndrome. Moving towards a female profile of Asperger Syndrome | Tania Marshall (hope it's OK to post that link on here). I also did some online tests.

If you feel like anxiety doesn't explain everything then there's probably more to find. Wyverary is right, you need to find someone who knows about Aspergers in women or at least in adults. I know how frustrating it is to try and described how you are feeling only to be told you are wrong or to have people guess wrong when you are struggling to put it into words.

Hope that helps a bit, good luck in finding someone to help :)

It sounds like you are going through the same sort of thing that happened to me.

(warning; life story!!) I've been treated on and off for anxiety and depression for about 10 years with no luck. At the beginning of this year I asked my GP to refer me to a psychiatrist so I could finally figure out what is going on. But he said I would have to do CBT first and if that didn't work then I could see a psychiatrist, so I did CBT and I was told I have low self-esteem. I kept doing those test for anxiety and depression and they always came back with low scores (which means I had only very mild symptoms). When I said what things I really struggled with I was told things like 'you are good at those things but you can't see it because of your low self-esteem' and 'everyone struggles sometimes'. I was discharged in the end because they said they couldn't help me, and I was referred somewhere else, and they couldn't help me either. So I gave up asking and didn't bother trying again until I had a massive meltdown on Halloween and got taken to A&E because my husband was really worried and didn't know what was going on, and I couldn't speak or remember what had happened. I had read a bit about Aspergers and the more I read, the more I thought 'maybe that is it'. So we found a charity nearby and they assessed me and agreed that I have Aspergers. I have read a lot of stories about women being told they have anxiety and depression, or borderline personality disorder (which a psych nurse had tried to tell me was a possibility) only for them to finally discover it is Aspergers. Sorry, I tried to keep that as short as I could!

Anyway, what helped me was reading a lot about Aspergers in women. I read the book Aspergirls and also found this blog post really good- Aspienwomen: Adult Women with Asperger Syndrome. Moving towards a female profile of Asperger Syndrome | Tania Marshall (hope it's OK to post that link on here). I also did some online tests.

If you feel like anxiety doesn't explain everything then there's probably more to find. Wyverary is right, you need to find someone who knows about Aspergers in women or at least in adults. I know how frustrating it is to try and described how you are feeling only to be told you are wrong or to have people guess wrong when you are struggling to put it into words.

Wow, you sound like me who is always worried about boring people with our history, when actually, I found reading your little bit of history, to be very interesting ☺

I used to be in therapy and my severe anxiety, social phobia and chronically low self esteem, was put down to my childhood of molestation, neglect and emotional abuse, but not once did anyone suggest aspergers!

I am only going to try for a professional diagnosis, in the new year, because NT are so brainwashed into believing someone with a name behind them, is worthy. There are a few people in my life, that I look forward to "slamming down" on the table, in front of their eyes, my "professional" diagnosis, because it is demoralising to not have my word taken and yet, get bombarded with quizzical looks ie what is going on with her? But they never ask and I am not about to volunteer!

On a superficial level or to an nonexpert eye, Asperger's can look like social anxiety and vice versa, but there is a major difference. Social anxiety is defined as irrational fear of social situations, public exposure or being judged by others. The kind of anxiety a person with AS feels in social situations is far from irrational. There is a good reason behind it; the insecurity which comes from not being able to read social situations or not knowing to how to react to others or having difficulty following a conversation and being judged or rejected for it. In the case of a person with AS, it's a neurological difference and the person usually senses this difference early on and knows that it's not just a matter of anxiety, there's something more. I was diagnosed with social phobia when I was a lot younger, and have been sinced diagnosed with AS. I watched a documentary about social anxiety a while ago, and I've read about it, and while I can relate to it, it still doesn't fit and explain everything: Intense interests or obsessions, disliking change, insisting on sameness and not being open to new suggestions. Sensory issues. Aloofness and reluctance to share with others. I would look beyond the anxiety issues, and look at other AS symptoms too - does social or general anxiety explain all the symptoms? Do you have other significant AS symptoms apart from anxiety? If so, then I would suggest that AS is more likely.

You could simply have anxiety, or you could have anxiety and Aspergers. I'd recommend double checking yourself against all the other AS symptoms like sensory issues and pleasures, stimming, and so forth.

Dear Nanda. This is a very familiar scenario. In general, GPs, mental health nurses and psychologists do not recognise or understand HFA or Aspergers properly, except in a very superficial way. It is very complex and beyond their understanding because they are neurotypicals. On the other hand Aspies tend to immediately tune into each other, and offer mutual understanding of their thought patterns and anxieties. If you want a diagnosis - the best bet is to find a local support group and spend time with people with Aspergers. They will quickly sense if you are on the spectrum. We are setting up a support group(s) in our local area for teens, young adults and adults. As a. There is no provision for Aspies beyond a superficial diagnosis b. The condition (or way of thinking) is very much misundersood by many health professionals. It's not their fault they don't understand, their brains just aren't wired the same way :) Also there are a number of non-judgemenal pivate groups on Facebook (and forums, such as Aspies Central,) where you can share you thoughts with other Aspies. Ignore anyone that offers to charge for their services - the best advice you can get is freely available from other Aspies.

You are right, it's very hard to get a Diagnosis. I recently had a 'meltdown' & after 7 days in hospital was told my problem was having had a grandfather who was an alcoholic, making my Dad & hence ME an ACA- Adult Child of an Alcoholic! But what about all the other Symptoms I have?? My Clinical Therapist says they don't diagnose Aspergers because they don't PROFIT from diagnosing it!! Maybe that's the real Answer????

Aspergers and anxiety go hand in hand - to the point where I once realised the last time I woke up and felt "OK" (i.e. not stressed to hell) was TWO YEARS previous, and it lasted around 15 minutes until I was back to "my" normal anxious state.

My "normal" anxious state would range from stressed and struggling to cope, to total panic attacks - which could often last 2 weeks or more.

If you're in the UK, ask your GP about the diagnostic pathway for adults - it's now a legal requirement for your health authority to have one (a diagnostic pathway) - although many GPs don't know about it. If that's the case, contact your local PALS team.

I am curious about all of you anxious Aspies, when did you first start feeling anxiety? I mean the twisting gut, loosing sleep, can't think of much else kind of anxiety?

I first sought help for my anxiety three years before being diagnosed with Aspergers, and have just been getting the proper help for the anxiety in the last 6 months, after trying different anti anxiety meds.

It came out through this that I have lived in a high state of anxiety on and off since I was about 11. There were times when it was low, and I felt somewhat comfortable and at ease, but it could all come crashing down, or the anxiety would worm its way in somehow.

At first, my original therapist thought that I had moderate general anxiety, with high social anxiety.

Hi Digger, first of all, thank you for replaying, i like to read about people's life history on AC.
Has been one year since i start to read about Aspergers, i read almost anything i could find about this topic, articles, blogs and sites, and even watch all kinds of youtube videos with people talking about their histories on find they path on life after know they are aspies, and i must say i identified more than i can possible explain.
Sadly, i can't recall all the blogs and articles that i read and loved, but this one you've point at me its realy amazing. I have it on my computer so i can read again and again, in fact, i highlight all parts that i identify with.
No, i don't think anxiety explain all of it, specially after all the reserach i have been doing. I think that became worse since teenangers years and adult life (i'm in my 20s).
In Brazil the knowledge about Aspergers is little, focused on children's only, Aspergers on women its not even thinked about. Its sad that such impactive thing on a person's life its barely known, so i dont really expect to get a formal diagnose (it would be really helpfull on explaining things without having people looking at you and thinking unpleasent thinks about you, i know i have been on that kind of situations).
Since there's not much information about it on my native language, i read what i find on english, in fact, if some of you have some interesting article or similar information i'll be really glad to read.

Typically your councilor is the one who put's in the request to have you assessed (sometimes starting with their preferred aspie questionnaire) as a lot of them won't directly diagnose you during the sessions. Your anxiety is the key to getting that help so see where it goes. There are loads of online tests (typically referenced in our signatures below our posts) so give them a go as Suzanne suggested.

I really wish my councilor was capable of such thing, but it doesn't work like that here, at least i don't think so. My councilor its a very kind and pacient person, but he never said anithing about the particular issues i had speaked about here, i only explained to him about the dificulty on making eye contact because when we meet to work on my paperwork (its caller TCC, its an "Course conclusion paperwork" ) i hardly look him on the eyes and i don't want him to think i dislike him.

I will look into this online tests, thank you.

I am curious about all of you anxious Aspies, when did you first start feeling anxiety? I mean the twisting gut, loosing sleep, can't think of much else kind of anxiety?

I was a anxious kid, hated to go on birthday parties and be with the other childrens, never going to far from my mother, never liked to be introduced to my parents friends. The first years from school was a nightmare, i would never leave the classrom unless it was time to go home. Until this days i only feel safe at home.

New Threads

Top Bottom