• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Smelling things

I love the smell of just-blown-out candles, breathing in all the smoke. It's an instant reminder of happy times at Christmas with my Grandpa (who I miss dearly) and the rest of the family when I was a kid.

I smell lots of things most people don't perceive. Sometimes one of my female classmates comes in and I say: 'You smell nice today, what is it?' And she says to her friends sth like: he said he liked it... And her friends reply: I smell nothing. Hahah it's funny.

Same here there's a guy that volunteers where I work and I can always tell if he's been working on machinery because I can smell the oil the day after

Smells that I find alluring: rain, dust, paper, glue, clean laundry, campfire, chlorine, rust, and grass
Smells that I find repulsive: excessive perfume/cologne, tobacco smoke, unhygienic breath, belching/flatulence of others (yet not mine for some reason, hmm...), fingernail polish, and gasoline.

Smells that I find alluring: rain, dust, paper, glue, clean laundry, campfire, chlorine, rust, and grass
Smells that I find repulsive: excessive perfume/cologne, tobacco smoke, unhygienic breath, belching/flatulence of others (yet not mine for some reason, hmm...), fingernail polish, and gasoline.
I really want a perfume that captures beeswax, wet cave, and old books

Josh That list has the things I would have written down; it surprised me. I also like Gain detergent smell, but can't use it because it gave my kiddo a rash. I smell/sniff things too. I have trained myself not to do it in public as have been told, "it looks weird". Here are a few more wonderful smells: garlic, celery and parsley sautéing in butter, certain paints in my watercolors collections, puppies' fur, my clean laundry just after it comes in off the clothesline, the wet clean, leafy, piney smell of a rainy day in the mountains, the vanilla smell in the bark of ponderosa trees.

For some reason I get a letter through the post and the first thing I do after I take the letter out of the envelope is smell the paper. Haven't got a clue why, its like an automatic response.

I enjoy the smell of

the air after it has rained, particulary where there is alot of concrete

the air in my back yard, early in the morning due to the fragrances involved in the nighbours morning routines escaping into the atmosphere.

the air in summer

fresh mown grass

Fresh sweat

The aftershave of anyone I've fancied

Woodland

Peoples meals, especially sunday roast

the tumble dryer when it's on

peoples houses that I went to as a child - some still smell the same and it brings back strong memories

churches with wooden pews

books

babies (without soiled nappies)

I'm intrigued by the smell

-of my fingers
-that my pierced ears leave on my earring (not sure that i would want to smell anyone elses tho)
-of my scalp - i rub my fingers on it and smell them to know when I need to wash my hair, when there is a hint of 'homeless person' I know I need to wash it
-of the dead skin that gathers under my toenails
-of my own sweat - it smells different when I'm stressed

Things that I don't like the smell of

-overly synthetic smelling fragrances
-sharp floral fragrances
-mens public toilets (womens too, but mens seem worse)
-hamster wee
-swimming baths toilets

I like the smell of lavender, old books (I'm sure there is a bit of mold there, haha) when I turn the pages, dirt, trees after the rain, the skins of citrus fruits, coffee (black), mint, and cucumbers.

I hate the smell of gasoline. Hate, hate, hate it! It makes me sick. My mom thought I was incredibly dramatic as a kid when we would stop at the gas station, but really, it makes me feel like I am about to vomit. I hate the smell. For non-North Americans, by gasoline, I mean petrol.

I have a weird obsession with brand new plastic, elderly people(when I was working I would lean over and actually smell them lol), fresh cut grass, when it just rains, and recently dried clothes.

New Threads

Top Bottom