• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sleep and Coping Ability

cherryq

Does anyone else find they either get too much sleep or too little sleep on a regular basis? If so, does this cause you to have more difficulty when dealing with life?

For instance, when I get less than eight hours of sleep, I have trouble focusing on my work at my job, I feel more at a loss socially than usual, and I'm more sensitive to external stimuli than usual. When I've had less than six hours of sleep, I have an even harder job getting work completed, talking to my coworkers (even if only discussing work related matters for two or three minutes at a time), and am very sensitive to noise, lights, etc. Similarly, if I get more than nine hours or nine and a half hours of sleep, I have problems.

Anyone else find this to be true (that the amount of sleep you get affects how well you can cope with life)?

I do prefer around 8 hours sleep although I can manage on 6 without too many problems. Oversleeping is definitly an issue though as it can leave me groggy all day. I work shift patterns that rotate weekely so I never get chance to develope a proper rhythm.

I never sleep more than 7 hours, and I'm fine with that. Last night I slept 6 and a half hours, and this is normal. I start having problems when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep again, or when I have to set an alarm clock and don't wake up naturally.

I need 7-8 hours or I get tired very quickly during the day, I will be more easily pushed into a meltdown and will generaly not be a nice person to be around. Right now I am dealing with not being able to get a full nights sleep. Since I took the winter blankets off the bed, I have slept like crap, up and down several times a night. I should have my new weighted blanket that I can use year round in the next week. Mike

I need 7-9 hours of sleep or else i just cannot function and stay sane that day. I'll be sleepy, fatigued, easily upset or annoyed, prone to meltdowns or shut downs or sensory overload, unable to focus, etc. Its a mess. Unfortunately i've become a bit of an insomniac so this is a regular occurrence.

My norm is 4-5 hours of sleep. At six I'm still okay but, if I sleep 7-8 hours, I'm groggy, zoned out for the whole day. 2-3 I can do if I need to now and then but, more than 6 hours and I might as well just go flop down on the pool lounger because I'm not going to be able to get anything accomplished that day anyway.

I have a demanding job and have to get up early. I work closely with a half-dozen people all day. I go through periods when I worry and dwell on negative things constantly. During these periods, I don't sleep well. Working "socially" as I do, is not my thing, but it's a good job. During my insomniac periods, I can barely keep it together during the day. I can do my job, which is difficult and specialized, but act really weird and irritated all day. I'm not sure where I stand with these people or how long I have a job. It sucks. I don't remember signing up for being this way.

Aside from the usual side-effects of poor sleep, my sensory issues are much worse when I haven't had enough sleep. When I'm over-rested, I'm just groggy, sluggish, and tired.

At the moment, I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 hours. My home situation has changed enormously in the last 3 months, I now have 2 teenage kids whose mother could no longer look after them, so I'm in a place of permanent overload and hiding my idiosyncrasies as much as possible so that they can have a normal - ish environment. This leaves me no time to shut everything out and major meltdown is beckoning. Still, it's what you do for (someone else's ) kids!!!

I need 7-9 hours of sleep or else i just cannot function and stay sane that day. I'll be sleepy, fatigued, easily upset or annoyed, prone to meltdowns or shut downs or sensory overload, unable to focus, etc. Its a mess. Unfortunately i've become a bit of an insomniac so this is a regular occurrence.
Hi Kari. I have been experiencing these same issues due to a consistent lack of sleep. I'm glad to know that I am not alone in this!

I have a demanding job and have to get up early. I work closely with a half-dozen people all day. I go through periods when I worry and dwell on negative things constantly. During these periods, I don't sleep well. Working "socially" as I do, is not my thing, but it's a good job. During my insomniac periods, I can barely keep it together during the day. I can do my job, which is difficult and specialized, but act really weird and irritated all day. I'm not sure where I stand with these people or how long I have a job. It sucks. I don't remember signing up for being this way.
Hi nowwhat. I also have a fairly social job, and I rarely get a full night's rest. I usually end up counting the hours until I can leave and decompress from the day in the comfort of my home. Hopefully things will start working out better for both of us!

New Threads

Top Bottom