• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Site down a lot?

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
Has this site's server(s) been down a lot lately, or is it just my account not being able to login as much?
Thank you.

I think the quality of your connection depends on what part of the world you live in. Most internet connections travel through undersea cables and they can be a bit dodgy at times.

For me in Australia this site locks up for a few minutes every hour or so. When it's open to me it's fast and responsive, but for a few minutes every hour it will completely freeze.

I know this happens to quite a few people because you see some posts submitted twice. That's because they hit the Post Reply button and nothing happens, so they click it again, then all of a sudden the site becomes active again and they've posted twice.

Has this site's server(s) been down a lot lately, or is it just my account not being able to login as much?
Thank you.
Can you please take a screenshot of when you're seeing it "down"? I have monitoring on the site to get alerted if it unavailable and I've not had any alerts for months

Can you please take a screenshot of when you're seeing it "down"? I have monitoring on the site to get alerted if it unavailable and I've not had any alerts for months

Satal - I got an error message a couple of weeks ago when the website was down for about 24 hours. I think it was a "404" error code but am not sure about the specific number - but it stated that your server was down. I'll screenshot it the next time it happens. Is it possible that there are relay servers that go down even though this website's server does not?

For me in Australia this site locks up for a few minutes every hour or so. When it's open to me it's fast and responsive, but for a few minutes every hour it will completely freeze.

Probably some Australian wildlife gnawing on the cables, trying to kill it. ;)

Can anyone provide a tighter timeline of such an occurrence? I know a while back we were all warned that the site was being migrated to a new server, involving a certain amount of downtime that didn't last more than perhaps a day or so. Otherwise I can't say I have experienced any 404 errors.

Last edited:
Here's an example of something I get when the site is down for me. It has happened for me quite frequently for the past 2 weeks or so.

Attachments

• 5_6_24 Site Down msg.png
    5_6_24 Site Down msg.png
    80 KB · Views: 12
Here's an example of something I get when the site is down for me. It has happened for me quite frequently for the past 2 weeks or so.

Error 520. Interesting. Ever since or before the server migration?

"No error 520 is not a permanent error. It is a temporary server-side error caused by a connection issue between the web server and the origin server. Refreshing the page, clearing your browser cache and cookies, or contacting your hosting provider or website administrator can often resolve the issue."

Perhaps I don't see such an error is because I have my browser set up to purge my cache each time I shut down my browsers. Of course it's also why the annoying request to enable push notifications never goes away.

One thing for sure, it's always good maintenance on the client side for users to purge their cache and cookies periodically. Having a huge hard drive helps, but even then the accumulation of data in a browser cache can become so big that your system may begin to slow down.

Given the recent server migration of this website, it would make sense for users to have purged their browser cache, otherwise it's possible that the migration relative to old configurations and data may create such errors.

Last edited:
I think it would likely be an issue between Cloudflare and the hosting service. I'm raising it with the hosting support.

I get this message a few times a day - typically in the USA east coast evening time. When it occurs, I still have a strong internet connection (and can access any other site) and I don't use any extensions in my Firefox browser.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 5.52.56 PM.png

I get this message a few times a day - typically in the USA east coast evening time. When it occurs, I still have a strong internet connection (and can access any other site) and I don't use any extensions in my Firefox browser.

View attachment 129603

Clear your browser's cookies and browser cache...and see if you don't get such a warning again.

I also use Firefox, with a consistent ethernet connection of 566mbps.

View attachment 129603
I get that one too, when the site's in it's frozen state for me. That usually only lasts for 1 to 2 minutes though, and then everything's back to normal again. And it's only this site that does that to me, I can still open anything else while this site isn't responding.

I connect through optic fibre, only a cheapy plan but still 50 mbps.

Thank you.
I can't remember the last time this site had connection issues.
I have been here virtually every day for the last month and haven't had any problem if I don't use my VPN.
Do you use a VPN?

Clear your browser's cookies and browser cache...and see if you don't get such a warning again.

I also use Firefox, with a consistent ethernet connection of 566mbps.
Perhaps it is a browser thing.
I use Firefox and don't have any problem.

Perhaps it is a traffic issue?
Being in Australia, I am usually online when lesser (numbers of ppl :p), or few ppl are online

Perhaps it is a browser thing.
I use Firefox and don't have any problem.

Perhaps it is a traffic issue?
Being in Australia, I am usually online when lesser (numbers of ppl :p), or few ppl are online

I'm just thinking it may reflect a few users who for whatever reason may have never purged their browser's cache and cookies when the server was migrated to a new address. And that in such an instance it's caching outdated information creating minor errors.

Though I'd also think more people would be having such an issue, as usually only us geeks are so conscientious about routinely purging their browser cache. An "old-school" practice that isn't so necessary these days.

Making me wonder that it might be something else. Then again the OP was quite specific about the 520 error code. So we shall see...

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom