• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Singing Happy birthday

ZebraAutismo

V.I.P Member
Oh I hate singing this being sang too. I never understood why people who barely know me want to sing happy birthday since frankly I didn't want to do it for them.

For some reason (I think because the head won't in to let me leave) I had to sing happy birthday to an aquntiance. This is horrible thing for me because crowds, sounds, clapping etc.

I don't get how most people like this.

I get why people do it. It's the whole communal connected experience thing. It's a tribal ritual that acknowledges both the person having the birthday and the people singing to them are connected by the same social convention. The same as why people wish each other a Merry Christmas, etc.

But I too hate singing it and being sung to. Singing it is never pleasant or tuneful. I'm always self conscious that I sound awful and am out of time with everyone else.

Being sung to is even worse. Anything that makes me the centre of attention is cringe inducing and I don't know what to do, how to act, etc.

Yeah the happy birthday song ranks among the most awkward experiences there is. I mean, when else does a group of people burst into song, outside the world of musicals? At least everyone looks equally ridiculous doing it.

I don't have problems with the happy birthday song -- I'm happy to sing it to others (if they want -- it's different if the person doesn't want to be sung to) and also happy to have it sung to me.

I suppose because I like singing, and I like the simpicity and familiarity of the happy birthday song ritual -- it's a social thing I can easily participate in and follow along with, without needing to do or understand much.

I mean, when else does a group of people burst into song, outside the world of musicals?

Every morning in several of the elementary schools I went to, every student was expected to sing the national anthem.

The crowd may sing along to the national anthem before hockey games.

At my first ever school, during the assemblies at Christmas, almost everyone sang a long list of carols -- including family members who were there to watch Christmas performances.

At parties, when everyone is drunk and a popular song is played, sometimes everyone (or nearly everyone) will sing it together.

Also, with some people, in a car on road trips when a good song is playing on the radio/stereo and everyone in the car likes it, they will all sing along together.

I love singing, but I dislike singing "happy birthday" because it feels forced. I very much dislike being sung to as well. Most of my friends respect this, some don't. They fall into one of two categories:
1) "I like it, therefore everyone must like it, even if they say they don't"
or
2) "Everyone has to endure this embarassment once a year, and so do you"

While I very much dislike it, I don't usually make a big fuss over it (other than shooting a few deadly looks at the one that initiates the singing) because it's over rather quickly, it only occurs once a year and it seems to make the others happy.

Happily, I do not celebrate birthday's anyway and so, it is not an issue for me, but yes, when I did, I hated it too. I mean: what is the big deal over it? It is just one more year added on and as we age, who really wants to be reminded that they are getting old?

I don't particularly like it, I would never initiate it and I don't like the way is is forced, but I rarely have it sung to me because I'm always at home on my birthday and if people want to wish me a happy birthday, they can do so over the phone or via Facebook or Skype.

Actually, it drives me mad how every year a whole bunch of people who otherwise never talk to me send me happy birthday messages, usually only because Facebook or whatever reminds them of it, I mean, what is the point? Why bother? I'd much rather they didn't. I want to keep my interactions with people meaningful.

I don't particularly like it, I would never initiate it and I don't like the way is is forced, but I rarely have it sung to me because I'm always at home on my birthday and if people want to wish me a happy birthday, they can do so over the phone or via Facebook or Skype.
I agree with this.
Lately, I tried not to let people know my birthday in the first place in real life. For example, no one at the vocational school knew my birthday, so there was no risk for me even at my birthday.
I don't have facebook, so they couldn't find out via facebook either.
This way I can go out on my birthday without this being forced on me.

In general I dislike the whole wishing me a happy birthday, including hand shakes or even hugs with some people even more than one short simple song that is over quickly like @Bolletje said:
While I very much dislike it, I don't usually make a big fuss over it (other than shooting a few deadly looks at the one that initiates the singing) because it's over rather quickly, it only occurs once a year and it seems to make the others happy.

There is one birthday singing ritual I really enjoy though:
Whenever it's a choir member's birthday the person can choose one song from the choir repertoire to be sung for her. We never sing "Happy Birthday", but only the one song this person particulary likes and chooses to be sung.
I am always looking forward to this on my birthday and once the choir people understood that I don't want to be hugged when someone wishes me happy birthday, it's easier to "pay the price" in form of being congratulated by several people in a row, so I can enjoy my individual birthday song.

Last edited:
There is one birthday singing ritual I really enjoy though:
Whenever it's a choir member's birthday the person can choose one song from the choir repertoire to be sung for her. We never sing "Happy Birthday", but only the one song this person particulary likes and chooses to be sung.

That is such a cool ritual! I think I should introduce this with my friends, and I get to pick whichever song I feel like. Ha, brilliant!

New Threads

Top Bottom