• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Singing And Songwriting (2)

I used sing Annie's song as part of a busking set years ago. I very much am influenced by Neil Young and after going mad playing with all the things you can do with midi files...I've realized that one has to form ones' own style. I've stopped trying to do everything from disco to New Age and just focus on a folk rock kinda sound. Its hard without any other musicians. I can play acoustic guitar and I'm fairly experienced percussionist. Started playing keys a couple of years ago but as I'm obsessive, I won't be satisfied until I understand every aspect of music including how to play bass and just about every other instrument. Heres my latest if you care to listen
Don't have sound here but will find a way to check it out soon. Funny you mentioned style as I recently came to see the music I do is varied (Hard Rock, Funk, Slow melodic) and I've no idea why that is. I try to put hard work into ballads because I feel ballads force you to write much more meaningful lyrics and create slow, melodic chord changes. However, I'm happiest doing funky, fast moving melodies where the lyrics can be simple and upbeat.
One problem I had with a ballad I wrote ( been working on it for months in fits and starts) is it was a love song but, to be honest, it's like writing in the third person as an observer. I figured lots of people would relate to something so basic as a slow love song but struggled to apply it to myself in any way. So, I sometimes get bored doing the lyrics.
I have actually started throwing in aspergers messages in my songs that are too hidden to be noticed. The other day I was walking my German Shep and gradually got this: "If I could have known that my path ahead was so uncertain and yet so defined. If we could have shared a dream for a different future you might not have left my side." Later I got back home and sang it to my keyboard chord sequences and figure I now nearly have the whole song done. I also radically changed it by transposing to another key to try and make my singing sound better and a touch higher.
Final problem was to the decision to add bass or not and I was thinking about how many songs leave off bass altogether as well as any drumbeat. So, for now, my love song is going to be just soft chords on keyboard and singing with no bass.

Don't have sound here but will find a way to check it out soon. Funny you mentioned style as I recently came to see the music I do is varied (Hard Rock, Funk, Slow melodic) and I've no idea why that is. I try to put hard work into ballads because I feel ballads force you to write much more meaningful lyrics and create slow, melodic chord changes. However, I'm happiest doing funky, fast moving melodies where the lyrics can be simple and upbeat.
One problem I had with a ballad I wrote ( been working on it for months in fits and starts) is it was a love song but, to be honest, it's like writing in the third person as an observer. I figured lots of people would relate to something so basic as a slow love song but struggled to apply it to myself in any way. So, I sometimes get bored doing the lyrics.
I have actually started throwing in aspergers messages in my songs that are too hidden to be noticed. The other day I was walking my German Shep and gradually got this: "If I could have known that my path ahead was so uncertain and yet so defined. If we could have shared a dream for a different future you might not have left my side." Later I got back home and sang it to my keyboard chord sequences and figure I now nearly have the whole song done. I also radically changed it by transposing to another key to try and make my singing sound better and a touch higher.
Final problem was to the decision to add bass or not and I was thinking about how many songs leave off bass altogether as well as any drumbeat. So, for now, my love song is going to be just soft chords on keyboard and singing with no bass.
Hello, Ive not been on here for awhile because I found a new obsession! Wikiloops.com here. I have found musicians to jam with...its so cool now i have lead electric guitar parts on my songs etc!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom