• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Show the world we're valuable, author with Asperger's says

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

AR-160309653.jpg&MaxW=650

With one of his photographs projected in the background, author John Elder Robison speaks at Worcester State University on Thursday. Mr. Robinson wrote the memoir "Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's." T&G Staff/Paul Kapteyn

WORCESTER – It’s time for people on the autism spectrum to say “that’s enough,” and let the world know they are no better or worse than anyone else, according to John Elder Robison.

The author emphasized that point - and many others - during a lecture Thursday afternoon at Worcester State University. Mr. Robison, who grew up with Asperger’s syndrome but was not diagnosed until he was 40, recounted his life in a best-selling memoir titled “Look Me in the Eye.”

Mr. Robison noted that he grew up in an era before autism was recognized in people who could speak. He recalled knowing that he was different, and feeling as though he was “less” than other people. He also recalled being ridiculed by other kids and being labeled as “stupid, retarded, lazy, a sociopath” and more, both by his peers and in the educational system.

When a diagnosis was finally made decades later, it provided an explanation for a lot of his behavior, he said, such as having trouble with eye contact, and an inability to recognize what to say to others and to respect personal space.“

I said, I’m going to change myself and learn about what is appropriate in order to transform the way I deal with people,” Mr. Robison noted. “It was magical. It showed my earlier isolation was of my own making.”

Mr. Robison emphasized that his autistic “differences” are the key to the successes he’s experienced.

Because of his inability to connect with others, he had a lot of spare time that he used to pursue his interest in electronics.

“The truth is, because I couldn’t make friends, I turned to technology, math, science … They were my friends. They didn’t pick on me,” he said.

Mr. Robison described how he was able to teach himself about circuits and sound waves in his head, and physically transform those ideas - creating sound effects for bands and gaming devices, designing guitars for the rock band Kiss, and toys for Milton Bradley.

He went on to run a successful car specialty shop, and to raise a son, who also has autism.

Mr. Robison said four generations of his family included individuals with autism, some of whom achieved great things - including early leadership of William and Mary College in Virginia, where he now teaches and is scholar-in-residence.

He said people in the autism community should not “hide away in shame,” but instead embrace that they are here for a purpose. Autism, he argued, is part of "neuro-diversity."

Not having an autism culture, nor having leadership like other groups such as African-Americans or Jews, “facilitates oppression,” Mr. Robison said. That can be rectified by turning to those groups for advice.“

It’s up to us to turn to them and say, 'Teach us how to fight for our rights.’ No one is going to help us if we don’t help ourselves,” Mr. Robison said.

Mr. Robison’s books about life with Asperger’s - “Look Me in the Eye,” “Be Different,” and “Raising Cubby” - have been translated into 15 languages and are sold in more than 60 countries. His next work, “Switched On,” goes on sale March 22.His brother, author Augusten Burroughs, featured characters in his books that are inspired by him. The movie version of “Running with Scissors,” for example, was based on his family.

He said that his books about autism are “triumphant tales,” telling how a sad, isolated kid became the successful man he is today.

Mr. Robison urged those in the audience with autism, “Go out and tell the world we’re valuable.”

SOURCE: http://www.telegram.com/article/20160303/NEWS/160309653

He said people in the autism community should not “hide away in shame,” but instead embrace that they are here for a purpose. Autism, he argued, is part of "neuro-diversity."

Not having an autism culture, nor having leadership like other groups such as African-Americans or Jews, “facilitates oppression,” Mr. Robison said. That can be rectified by turning to those groups for advice.“

It’s up to us to turn to them and say, 'Teach us how to fight for our rights.’ No one is going to help us if we don’t help ourselves,” Mr. Robison said.

I could not disagree more. First of all, I don't (and never have) hidden away "in shame", and I don't know anyone else who has either. He wants us to "embrace that we are here for a purpose". Okay, and what would that purpose be? He doesn't say. Why not? Could it be because he is just making this up, and doesn't believe it himself? If there is a 'purpose' for being this way, I would really, really like to know what it is. Perhaps I should email him.

Neurodiversity - does it include acceptance of schizophrenia, sociopathy and psychopathy, among many other deviations from the norm, or does it depend upon how badly others are impacted by those who have these conditions? Sociopaths and psychopaths see no need to change their ways, believing the problem to be with society and its rules, not themselves, just like many "on the spectrum" believe. Here is someone who doesn't believe that schizophrenia is such a problem:

http://www.theschizophreniamyth.com/

I have to say, I don't know what an "autism culture" is supposed to be. He mentions Africans and Jews, but they really do have what could be called a culture, because (among other things) they have a history they can point to, a shared ancestry, common origin, and land of birth. Autistics are all over the place, with differing values, interests, history... I don't understand how anyone can make such a comparison. It's like saying that neurotypicals have a culture; it doesn't make sense, precisely because one cannot make such generalisations about such a group of people.

So we need someone to "teach us how to fight for our rights", as though we could not do this ourselves. Why not? If any of our "rights" (whatever they may be) are being denied to us, then it won't do us any good to demonstrate to those who are trying to take away those rights that they were right to take those rights away in the first place, and we would be doing precisely this if we were to do as he suggests here.

His views here just do not add up, they make no sense at all.

He wants us to "embrace that we are here for a purpose". Okay, and what would that purpose be? He doesn't say. Why not?
In Biblical Christianity, there is a discernible purpose, but it doesn't become clear until some considerable groundwork has been laid.

In Biblical Christianity, there is a discernible purpose, but it doesn't become clear until some considerable groundwork has been laid.

So what's the purpose? Do we all have the same purpose (and if we do, I would like to know what it is), or is it different for each and every one of us?

Short answer: our traits match the prophetic temperament mentioned in Romans 12:4-8. Some people consider this passage to be the Biblical equivalent to Myers-Briggs categorization. Recognizing these temperaments doesn't take away from one's individuality any more than being recognized as INTP or INTJ (my usual results) does.

Prophesying, in particular, doesn't hold any relevance outside of a Christian context. That is the groundwork that I was referring to.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom