• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I try Counselling - not what you think!

texkag

V.I.P Member
This is the question - should I try counselling training? UP until a couple of years ago I was volunteering as a support worker for people who were victims of crime and felt that I had good interpersonal skills, at least in the structured confines of a support interview. Since I stopped volunteering I feel that my communication skills have deteriorated to near lethal levels.
When I was volunteering I had lots of good feedback from clients about how I helped them emotionally and did an introduction to counselling certificate. I realise that if I don't do something soon I may lose what skills I have left. I have applied for a voluntary caseworker role to help me re-establish good one-to-one interpersonal skills which I think would help. I would dearly love to study for the intermediate (level three) certificate in counselling skills but my confidence has taken a massive hit since I left my last voluntary role.

Being a carer often adds to my social isolation. I guess that I have simply lost my confidence as well as my skills. I have wracked my brain thinking of a way forward but this is all I have. As scary as the prospect seems, I think that sometimes the only thing for it is to take a deep breath and plunge in. Working, even part-time, is stressful when your a carer; but the depression I've endured since I stopped volunteering has brought me to the edge many times.
What do you think? Would you take the lunge?

Yes, why not get your degree in social work and become a therapist for aspies? Social work is such a broad field that if you ever got tired of one type of work there are others to choose from.

Yes, why not get your degree in social work and become a therapist for aspies? Social work is such a broad field that if you ever got tired of one type of work there are others to choose from.
Thanks for your reply Lucy. There was a time when I was considering doing just that. Just starting the certificate seems daunting right now. Still I've got to start somewhere I suppose.

Definitely go for it, sounds like you have already found you are capable in this area, you're just a bit out of practice. This would also be an interesting activity with people who may have similar interests and goals.

Perhaps you haven’t lost the skills, just haven’t been in the type of situation where they’re required so, haven’t needed to practice them?

Confidence can be an easy thing to lose if you talk yourself out of your capabilities with lots of negative self chatter.
You can start to believe what you tell yourself.

Disbelieve it, question yourself, if the isolation and negative self chatter has you convinced of something,
always know that the opposite can also be true.

If you need evidence of your abilities, look at the work you did as a support worker for victims of crime and build on that.

If you would dearly love to obtain your intermediate level in counselling skills, apply for it, now, once you’ve finished reading this.

You’re worth it :)

Perhaps you haven’t lost the skills, just haven’t been in the type of situation where they’re required so, haven’t needed to practice them?

Confidence can be an easy thing to lose if you talk yourself out of your capabilities with lots of negative self chatter.
You can start to believe what you tell yourself.

Disbelieve it, question yourself, if the isolation and negative self chatter has you convinced of something,
always know that the opposite can also be true.

If you need evidence of your abilities, look at the work you did as a support worker for victims of crime and build on that.

If you would dearly love to obtain your intermediate level in counselling skills, apply for it, now, once you’ve finished reading this.

You’re worth it :)
Hi Grace, thanks for your reply. You'r right about the negative self talk. Sometimes, there's nothing to it but to do it! At the end of the day I can't move forward by standing still.

Definitely go for it, sounds like you have already found you are capable in this area, you're just a bit out of practice. This would also be an interesting activity with people who may have similar interests and goals.

Your right. I think just making the effort to be around people more will set me on the right path.

New Threads

Top Bottom