• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I seek diagnosis?

soph1000

Hi, I have not officially been diagnosed with Asperger's but have been reading a lot about it recently. Think I experience many of the symptoms and meet the criteria to be diagnosed.

I have done 3 online tests and scored:

46/50 on AQ test
181 on RAADS-R test
134/200 Neurodiverse on RDOS test

Not really sure what to do about it. Should I talk to somebody about it? Have been struggling loads with people at school as I am socially awkward and very odd and unusual...

If you're still at school, how old are you? You may need to get your parents' permission, and if you are referred, they may want your mum to go with you so she can answer questions on your early life. If you do get a diagnosis, at least you'll know and can get some counselling, support, careers advice etc. If not, it might be something else, such as "teenageitis" or, if you're having problems at home and/or school, anxiety/depression due to that. If your parents aren't interested, have a chat with a teacher or school nurse and see what they have to say. If nobody will listen to you and you're too young to be referred without their consent, just do the best you can for now, and try again when you're old enough to go on your own. Find somebody to talk to anyway, a sympathetic relative, for example.

Hi Soph1000, welcome to AC!
I think Katherine has given you some good advice, I don't feel I could add much to it. I just want to say good luck in pursuing whichever decision/choice you make.

My eldest daughter is 13 and has recently had meetings with a clinical psychologist who has referred her for possible ADHD/ASD assessment. Katherine is right that they would like to meet you with a parent or both if possible, my wife and I both accompanied my daughter separately as the psychologist wanted to see how we interacted. The school was also involved in the process as they wrote reports on certain behavioural issues my daughter had for the last few years which were causing problems. The school reports and Doctors letters have no doubt had an influence on the psychologist referring my daughter for an assessment. Perhaps you could visit your GP and talk to them about it? I would advise you to make that the sole reason for a visit if you decided to do that, don't mention it in passing while there for another reason.

New Threads

Top Bottom