• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

service dogs

My dog is so important to me that I generally don't go anywhere she can't go. She is an enormous comfort to me and I do wish she were actually a service dog. She is a Lab, but unusually small and only 41 pounds. I would pay to have her trained to behave quietly at all times if she could be certified. She is a wonderful dog but very high spirited and absolutely LOVES all humans and other dogs. I have taken her to obedience and she is plenty smart. However, I am not a good alpha to a dog even though I do everything I have been told to make the dog see me as an alpha. I think I just love dogs too much and don't convey the appropriate strength to them. If I thought I could get her declared a service dog I would pay a lot of money for the two of us to learn how to work together better. She does everything the trainer tells her so I know it is my behavior that requires changing. Is there some guideline I can find as to what I have to do to be allowed to have a service dog as an Aspie? If so, maybe she and I could be trained so that she would be appropriately calm around other people and dogs and not try to play with them without my permission. If I were accompanied by a dog in a service harness I believe I would be treated less judgmentally by the public and feel more confident. It is my understanding that people can't ask someone with a certified service dog why they need the dog. Not being physically handicapped, blind or deaf tends to make people think you don't have just cause for a therapy dog. Actually, I am so dedicated to educating the public regarding AS that I wouldn't mind answering such a question. Everything about living for me is easier when my dog is with me.

For all those in the US, the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) states that no one can ask you for proof that your dog is a service dog unless (s)he is causing trouble. Also, I know that in California it's pretty easy to get a service tag for your dog. I'm pretty sure it's similar in New York. Here all you need is a dog license and a service dog prescription from a medical doctor.

Actually pit bulls are very sweet dogs. They'd be very good at what's called passive protection.
I like the idea that if I have a pitbull, people might not mess with me because of their fear of the dog. As much as I dislike anti-pitbull sentiment, there are some times when it can work to one's advantage.

Although it should be mentioned that a pitbull with a lousy owner can become a nasty dog. This isn't necessarily the result even of abuse, but sometimes of either neglect or ignorance. (lots of dogs have behavior problems because their owners just don't understand animals in general or dogs in particular).

I like the idea that if I have a pitbull, people might not mess with me because of their fear of the dog. As much as I dislike anti-pitbull sentiment, there are some times when it can work to one's advantage.

Although it should be mentioned that a pitbull with a lousy owner can become a nasty dog. This isn't necessarily the result even of abuse, but sometimes of either neglect or ignorance. (lots of dogs have behavior problems because their owners just don't understand animals in general or dogs in particular).

Ahhhhh..... that's the curse of the breed isn't it? People get them because they think other people are afraid of the dog. Poor dog! It's not the dog, it's the human on the other end of the leash!!

I think all dogs would protect their owners, but pit bulls might be more of a deterrent than, say, a chihuahua!

Ahhhhh..... that's the curse of the breed isn't it? People get them because they think other people are afraid of the dog. Poor dog! It's not the dog, it's the human on the other end of the leash!!

I think all dogs would protect their owners, but pit bulls might be more of a deterrent than, say, a chihuahua!
In my case, I would actually care about any dog I got, and try to be a good owner, but I can easily imagine that maybe some people who want a dog because people are afraid of it, might not be the best owners.

In my case, I would actually care about any dog I got, and try to be a good owner, but I can easily imagine that maybe some people who want a dog because people are afraid of it, might not be the best owners.

Yes, it breaks my heart when people use a pet as something else other than as a companion to love. They have so much to offer in this regard.

I've been looking into the possibility of getting an emotional support dog. It would help my anxiety and social problems, and being able to override the "no-pets" policy that so many apartments have, or potential restrictions to size and/or breed, would be great for me. I'm sure Canada must have an equivalent to the ADA, but I haven't been able to find any legislation about emotional support animals at all, and the stuff I've found on therapy dogs requires them to be specifically trained by an approved agency.
I don't suppose anyone here knows anything about Canadian disability laws in this regard? :p

I've been looking into the possibility of getting an emotional support dog. It would help my anxiety and social problems, and being able to override the "no-pets" policy that so many apartments have, or potential restrictions to size and/or breed, would be great for me. I'm sure Canada must have an equivalent to the ADA, but I haven't been able to find any legislation about emotional support animals at all, and the stuff I've found on therapy dogs requires them to be specifically trained by an approved agency.
I don't suppose anyone here knows anything about Canadian disability laws in this regard? :p

Looks like such legislation is relative to what province you live in from what this particular link implies:

Proposed AODA changes may impact Ontarians with emotional support animals: CMHA Ontario | Canadian Mental Health Association, Ontario Division

We are in the very early steps of getting a service dog for our son. We looked into simply certifying our own dog as a therapy dog, but it didn't seem logical when he needs help out in public -- at stores, in school, museums, etc. -- places therapy dogs are not covered under ADA.

Here's a UK organisation based in Sheffield. I am utterly convinced of the power of having a dog in your life can help make life better.

Autism Assistance Programme

in all seriousness, so autism messes up our ability to do human interaction well. Doesn't stop animal communication thank goodness! I know which I prefer :)

I'm more of a cat person … I love dogs, but they take more care, and I have to leave the house to walk them … but this is starting to sound like a good idea. As a person who's been a constant target of bullying, it would be easier to go out in public with a LARGE dog. Not mean, not aggressive, just big. It would have to be well-trained (as service dogs are), nice to the cats, and loyal to me. In return I would give it all the love in the world & lots of belly rubs!!

I'm more of a cat person … I love dogs, but they take more care, and I have to leave the house to walk them … but this is starting to sound like a good idea. As a person who's been a constant target of bullying, it would be easier to go out in public with a LARGE dog. Not mean, not aggressive, just big. It would have to be well-trained (as service dogs are), nice to the cats, and loyal to me. In return I would give it all the love in the world & lots of belly rubs!!
One has to remember that in order for a dog to be well behaved, it must be provided with (credit to Cesar Millan) exercise, discipline, and affection, in that order.
My preference is for a dog with a low energy level (energy level has to do with the individual dog more than with the breed) so that it's easier to meet his/her exercise requirement. Such a dog will also prove to be a little more like a cat. (not in your face all the time.)

One has to remember that in order for a dog to be well behaved, it must be provided with (credit to Cesar Millan) exercise, discipline, and affection, in that order.
My preference is for a dog with a low energy level (energy level has to do with the individual dog more than with the breed) so that it's easier to meet his/her exercise requirement. Such a dog will also prove to be a little more like a cat. (not in your face all the time.)

Agreed, and completely understood. My home really wouldn't be the best for a large dog, but it's kinda nice to dream. I'd be more than willing to do whatever I needed, if I could bring the dog everywhere & it would keep the bullies out of my face. And honestly, I like the companionship at home too. My cats are snugglers, and it warms my heart ... I love it when they follow me from room to room ... I wouldn't mind it with a dog, either.

I found a group in my country Australia which trains dogs specifically for aspies and auties ... so that takes away the ethical thing. I dunno bout other countries but here in Australia you can have your dog certified as an emotionally supportive dog so that its harder for someone to deny you housing under discrimination acts.

There are actually quite a number of these groups in Australia it seems, I'm actually quite surprised.
Its completely awesome. I reckon its things like this our community needs, not supposed "cures", artificial fixes or what not. :)

For anyone in the US who's thinking of getting and training an aspie / autie service dog, once you've found a trainer you can just register them with the United States Service Dog Registry (The United States Service Dog Registry ). Once they've been registered, they're a service dog or a service dog in training.

Agreed, and completely understood. My home really wouldn't be the best for a large dog, but it's kinda nice to dream. I'd be more than willing to do whatever I needed, if I could bring the dog everywhere & it would keep the bullies out of my face. And honestly, I like the companionship at home too. My cats are snugglers, and it warms my heart ... I love it when they follow me from room to room ... I wouldn't mind it with a dog, either.
My dog follows me from room to room. I love it too. She's almost never more than 10 feet from me. If you have the room for a small dog (20 lbs or so) I highly recommend adopting one. Having a service dog has made all the difference for me.

I can't agree more with the view that having animals in your life improves it immeasurably. What is life without animals???

ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1403967123.397992.jpg

Ok, not a service dog, but a wild rabbit which has taken up residence in my garden - along with the stray racing pigeon which trusts me enough to eat out of my hand! Oh, and 20+ ducks which come by for a snack every day!

I would love a dog, and it's going to happen one day :)

Sooooo exciting! My dog is officially in service dog training. I now have a trainer working with me to teach Billie her tasks. Her ID and vest/uniform are on their way. I can barely contain my excitement!

New Threads

Top Bottom