• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self diagnosed at 22, and no idea how to move on

Hi and welcome from one new member to another. This bit of my post jogged me memory of myself at a young age. Most other boys played with action figures (It was Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers back in those days) or sports. I however couldn't even force myself to take interest in that. I was obsessed with hotwheels cars, Lego (In which I would usually build vehicles) and model trains.

You may be missing out on some vital human experience, but it sounds like are doing much better than many. I wish I had some good advice. Maybe anxiety medication would go a long way for you.
Exactly! I never got into those toys either, or any action figures or "imaginative" toys. Instead I also preferred hot wheels and legos. I always loved building things, but they were either vehicles, by the book, or perfectly symmetrical buildings haha. Damn I actually really miss that time in my life.

As for the anxiety, I'm skeptical on many medications due to my holistic upbringing, but I suppose I could do a little research. I guess I'm kinda to the point that I've felt this anxiety my whole life, and it may not be comfortable, but it's familiar, and I'm accustomed to it. I use the word accustomed loosely, as it still sucks, it can still cripple me, but I know the routine now and know what to expect, at least.

Exactly! I never got into those toys either, or any action figures or "imaginative" toys. Instead I also preferred hot wheels and legos. I always loved building things, but they were either vehicles, by the book, or perfectly symmetrical buildings haha. Damn I actually really miss that time in my life.

As for the anxiety, I'm skeptical on many medications due to my holistic upbringing, but I suppose I could do a little research. I guess I'm kinda to the point that I've felt this anxiety my whole life, and it may not be comfortable, but it's familiar, and I'm accustomed to it. I use the word accustomed loosely, as it still sucks, it can still cripple me, but I know the routine now and know what to expect, at least.

The symmetry! I also had that obsession. I would be irritated if my little brother built a asymmetric lego creation and insist he fixes it. I remember one time I built a 4 axle missile carrying truck (think like the sort of thing Kim Jong Un would proudly parade down the street.) I built it with the cab offset to the left because the engine space would presumably be in the middle. I thought it a radical idea in my own mind but mechanically logical and it brought about some change to my ideas of symmetry.

The symmetry! I also had that obsession. I would be irritated if my little brother built a asymmetric lego creation and insist he fixes it. I remember one time I built a 4 axle missile carrying truck (think like the sort of thing Kim Jong Un would proudly parade down the street.) I built it with the cab offset to the left because the engine space would presumably be in the middle. I thought it a radical idea in my own mind but mechanically logical and it brought about some change to my ideas of symmetry.

Exactly! As I aged, I also noticed my idea of symmetry changing. I have a bunch of unwritten rules to something being acceptable, and being "mechanically logical," as you put it, is absolutely near the top of that list now.

New Threads

Top Bottom