• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self-Actualisation and Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Lee954

I hope this isn't getting too technical, but I'm sure there are a lot of points that are relevant to autism. I know that I'm convinced that the simplest and most concise way of putting things is for me to state that because of my Asperger's syndrome and my circumstances I'm unable to self-actualise and achieve all of my levels of my hierarchy of needs.

How would you sum up your own situation or circumstances?

Self-actualization - Wikipedia
Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia

Interesting post. I suppose for me such a thing has two considerations going in opposite directions.

1. Has ASD damaged my overall potential in this life to make the most of it?

- Absolutely. :(

2. What would I consider the most spiritually enlightening aspect of my entire life to this point in time?

- Being able to realize that I was on the spectrum of autism. :)

Perhaps just figuring out the hows and whys of this existence may be the most important thing in my own spiritual evolution and development. That's a very good thing IMO. ;)

When it comes to this existence, I sometimes am reminded of some lyrics of an old song.

- "I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden."

You see, from my own cosmic perspective, I truly believe that most of us souls are here to struggle- not to skate along in this existence. And that we all just have different types of struggles. Some easier to discern than others. And the greater the struggle, the greater possibility that in reality you are that much more of an "evolved soul".

Last edited:
self actualisation, while at the top of the pyramid, is also the least important/fundamental need, coming in after the need for esteem, love/belonging, safety and the basic physiological need.

self actualisation refers to living up to your potential, nowhere does it say that everyone's potential should be identical, nor does it say that one persons view of self actualisation is superior to another because of the nature of what is being optimised

so as an AS i realise that my potential is different than that of NT's, but that in no way means that is not just as valid or is inferior. embracing and exploring what i am good at is my self realisation, what other people do is their business, and no concern of mine, i do not believe that there is any need to compare. NT's may miss out in areas where logic and structure are an asset. no one is whole, everyone has some trait that gives them an advantage in one area while being a disadvantage in another area. what makes a meaningful life, happiness and self realisation is ours to define for ourselves without needing to benchmark or compare to others.

Last edited:
I think that I've been able to achieve it all to a certain extent, in a way that makes me happy.
Didn't know about autism until I was in my fifties, by then much had already been accomplished. So there was no influence in knowing about autism, and realizing that it had somehow or in some way limited my life. It has not, in any real sense taken anything from me, only made me more aware.

I think we could get more of our needs met if they devoted as much time to figuring out where we could contribute and how we could make a living instead of making us fake being NTs.

Maslow's Hierarchy has received fairly wide criticism, summarized in the wiki link.

Here is my own contribution to that criticism:
1) There is not a "right" place to be on that pyramid. The place you are is based on what circumstances you are in at the moment. Which means we all move up and down the scale every day and multiple times a day.
2) The theory is far more complex than the summaries typically present and should more appropriately be blended shades in 2D. It would be better presented in 3 or 4 dimensions.
3) Self-Actualization is a vast over-simplification of Maslow's meaning and intent. There is no "right" answer, it varies from person to person and even for the same person at different times in their life.

I read Maslow's insight as being an acknowledgement that we can't fulfill our true potential if we are constantly scrambling for food and shelter.

For myself personally, I feel that I'm not able to self-actualise, not just because I've been unable to fulfil my potential but also because there's no place for me in the world. I've never had a job or a relationship and am very lonely and unhappy. An unfulfilling job and/or a crap relationship would be preferable to what I've got.

Interesting question.

I would say am in self actualities mode I think.

I would also agree with maslow, that self actualisation is possible once the previous stages are met, but that doesn't mean it is automatic or comes easily.

For myself I intend to change parts of the world I don't like.

I know what I am spiritually, and live that a lot of the time.

I can see that the non duality of the universe is true from an experiential perspective. Eg, I can look at a tree, or another person and see its also me, and all strangers seem familiar to me now. When that started I kept asking people where I knew them from!

I needed to find out about autism for all that to finish though. I'd done the hard work over many years, but I was overloaded everyday, and unable to live it day to day.

Now I handle my overload as I know what it is, and the worlds true nature is clearer.

I think that's all open to everyone at every point in time, it just need realising. You aren't your body or your mind.

Robert Pirsig said "the only Zen at the top of a mountain is the Zen you bring with you", and while he's right, it's also easier to see the light from a mountain top than when your are fighting in the trenches.

I brought my Zen to my new home on a mountain, and it's definitely easier to live it day to day :)

I think we could get more of our needs met if they devoted as much time to figuring out where we could contribute and how we could make a living instead of making us fake being NTs.

Yes, but some of that is for us to figure out, and make changes the way we want things.

New Threads

Top Bottom