• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Seeking diagnosis in middle age

Bhattags

Hello

I am 48 and have had lots of difficulties arising from social interactions - but never been diagnosed. My sister (ten years younger) is convinced that I and our father have aspergers - and I have come round to her way of thinking (although difficult because she has a lot of anger about the issue).

I have boy children and want to make sure that things that I don't get will not impact on their ability to do things and get along with people. I also need to stop getting into problems at work - so far I have managed to get other jobs when things get too awkward and I need to run away (or am being pushed out of a job by colleagues), but getting a bit old for all of that.

I had not thought I was sensitive to particular things - but actually some bright electric light can make me feel ill/sick and I cannot have some shapes/textures of cutlery in my mouth or wear lots of types of shoes and mainly need to take my shoes off as soon as possible, and sometimes other clothing hurts me. I had assumed that this was because women's clothing is so poorly designed.

I had always thought that I was good with humour - in fact lots of my problems can start with finding things funny and others getting uncomfortable (or thinking I am laughing at them). But people have pointed out a kind of mania when I am interested in things - being 'high'. But I am mainly finding the parts in between these moments when I am 'on' as boring or uncomfortable, sometimes so uncomfortable that I become unwell, when i was younger to the point of vomiting.

I have been treated for anxiety and depression in the past, but without much success.

Can't think what else to say for now - do these traits sound familiar to anyone?

Hello

I am 48 and have had lots of difficulties arising from social interactions - but never been diagnosed. My sister (ten years younger) is convinced that I and our father have aspergers - and I have come round to her way of thinking (although difficult because she has a lot of anger about the issue).

I have boy children and want to make sure that things that I don't get will not impact on their ability to do things and get along with people. I also need to stop getting into problems at work - so far I have managed to get other jobs when things get too awkward and I need to run away (or am being pushed out of a job by colleagues), but getting a bit old for all of that.

I had not thought I was sensitive to particular things - but actually some bright electric light can make me feel ill/sick and I cannot have some shapes/textures of cutlery in my mouth or wear lots of types of shoes and mainly need to take my shoes off as soon as possible, and sometimes other clothing hurts me. I had assumed that this was because women's clothing is so poorly designed.

I had always thought that I was good with humour - in fact lots of my problems can start with finding things funny and others getting uncomfortable (or thinking I am laughing at them). But people have pointed out a kind of mania when I am interested in things - being 'high'. But I am mainly finding the parts in between these moments when I am 'on' as boring or uncomfortable, sometimes so uncomfortable that I become unwell, when i was younger to the point of vomiting.

I have been treated for anxiety and depression in the past, but without much success.

Can't think what else to say for now - do these traits sound familiar to anyone?

Hello and welcome :)

I have put in bold what I feel resonates with me. I am not diagnosed, but I am waiting for assessment. I am in my late twenties.

Hi! It's good to see yet another person in their 40's show up here.

Women's clothes are poorly designed for the most part but I don't see that stopping most women from wearing them (weird, isn't it?). I wear my pants at least two sizes too big so they will be comfy, rarely, rarely wear a bra, get boys clothing quite often, can't stand most women's t-shirts because they are so filled with some sort of elastic. I could write a book on the problems with shoes and I own nothing that doesn't resemble a sneaker.

Two of the libraries where I live have bluish florescent lights that make me sick. I feel sorta head-achy, weakness, and a bit of nausea if I stay very long. I have a pair of pink tinted sunglasses that could get me through an hour and a half and that was helpful but I'm glad I no longer have to go either one of those.

af60e910a0e0af00e454516db1e9feb6.png

Oh, I totally have sensory issues with clothes, shoes, even how I wear my hair. I was always "The Princess and the Pea" from the fairy story.

Welcome to Aspies Central!
A lot of people are diagnosed with Aspergers later in life. It's not uncommon. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 27. Don't worry about it. Asperger traits aren't very noticeable until later in life, unlike less higher-functioning forms of autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom