• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Saturday morning...

lark265

Suicidal Thoughts 10 Times More Likely in Adults With Asperger’s | Psych Central News

Hello: As I was reading the above article, I began to think like this: "OK, people have this thing (and I am one of them). We didn't choose it. It's not a great situation. But what can be done? What can be done to address issues like depression and suicide among us diagnosed as adults?" The quick answer was "coming together." A hundred years ago alcoholics were pretty much screwed. There was no effective treatment (other than a lengthy jail sentence), no social acceptance and no strength-in-numbers. Today, there is all that and many many alcoholics lead decent lives. Again, it sucks to be an alcoholic but today there's an escape route. I need that for my Aspergers. Now. Coming together socially like you guys do is great. Thanks. But as an Aspie, I need some way to officially come out of the closet. As it is right now I feel sorry for myself on a daily/hourly basis. Why me?. I can barely hold a job because of my communication difficulties. I need it to be decriminalized to have Aspergers Syndrome. I guess 25 years ago I just dealt with stuff. I knew I was "quirky" but it was no real big deal. I was able to roll with the punches. Unfortunately (and fortunately), today I am aware of my AS. And knowing I have this condition that makes it hard to be in longterm relationships, do small-talk at parties and rise high in a job situation, the darkness of depression comes in. Yes, I guess it is some self-pity, but so what? I'm human. I need there to be a meeting I can go to on this Saturday (like the hundreds of AA meetings around here today) where I WILL SEE PEOPLE WHO ARE IN OR WERE IN THE SAME PIT OF DEPRESSION AS ME. Support. Hope. Social acceptance. Out-of-the-closet-ness. Feelings of pride. Legitimacy. Phone numbers of co-Aspies I can call anytime and get calls. If/when this happens, I think I will stop blaming the universe and God for this syndrome. I think this could become my antidote for my depression. Sometimes now the only "cure" for this depression is not to live anymore.

I can only say that you aren't alone in such thoughts and concerns. Unfortunately IMO the notion of "coming out of the closet" remains one with many unpredictable variables.

I can only say that you aren't alone in such thoughts and concerns. Unfortunately IMO the notion of "coming out of the closet" remains one with many unpredictable variables.

I understand what you mean by, "Many unpredictable variables"........my "vision" is a gathering of us wherein we don't have to be concerned about who knows........it's not a public coming out.......kind of like the second "A" in AA.......we would all commiserate about how there are so many unpredictable values attached to coming out (at work, family, etc.)

Of the things that depress me, autism is not one of it. I am still too relieved to know my sensory problems aren't something more serious!

Have you done a search for your state or area to see if there is an Aspies Anonymous? There are a few support groups near me that's sporadic at best. Haven't been though, I'm too cheap to make the drive.

If you can't find a group in your area, what would be wrong with forming one yourself? Of course, it's no cakewalk to put one together, but someone has to do the work. I'd start by contacting one of the national AS groups to see if they have a protocol for beginning an "anonymous" group for adult Aspies.

New Threads

Top Bottom