• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

[/QUOTE]
"I'm not high society high fork..."
I am not high society one fork:p...sometimes just a spoon

HAhaha! That's not what I meant at all! I hate setting the table, actually. I meant that each fork had to had the same amount of lettuce, tomatoes and carrots, for example :D.

HAhaha! That's not what I meant at all! I hate setting the table, actually. I meant that each fork had to had the same amount of lettuce, tomatoes and carrots, for example :D.[/QUOTE]
I do that sometimes...like when I eat cucumber tomato salad or asparagus salad I like one bit of everything on each fork full...so it tastes perfect...is that what you meant Sabrina?
I was sort of being funny in the last post..:innocent:..?:rolleyes:

HAhaha! That's not what I meant at all! I hate setting the table, actually. I meant that each fork had to had the same amount of lettuce, tomatoes and carrots, for example :D.
I do that sometimes...like when I eat cucumber tomato salad or asparagus salad I like one bit of everything on each fork full...so it tastes perfect...is that what you meant Sabrina?
I was sort of being funny in the last post..:innocent:..?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
:DIt is funny ...

Not really about food but drinking something while eating. My daughter ate some 'temperature hot' on a few occasions and we're telling her to drink something - water, soda, milk - to cool down her mouth but she refused to do it. She's always had this thing about eating her meal first before drinking anything.

If something had a certain kind of texture, I wouldn't eat it as a refrigerated leftover. The drying effect of the fridge skeezed me out.

I've gotten better about that, but still try avoid refrigerated foods that have already been prepared once. In other words, I cook for the portion I need at that meal and try not to throw the rest in the fridge. Strangely enough though, I don't care about freezing food!

It's interesting that the incident "cured" you though. Did you stop feeling the impulse too, or did you just stop doing it?

Today I realized that I changed, as an adult, my kid rules for other more socially appropriate ones. But, what happened in the middle, when I was a teen?

After that episode, when I was horribly embarrassed, and also other similar events, I tried very hard to be the perfect girl and I became very popular (ages 12 to 15).

Then, at 16, I started binge eating and fell into depression until I was 20. I don't think that "curing" me temporarely (not only the food issues, but also being shy, etc) was good in the long run. I just got better at acting cool until I couldn't do it any more and sort of collapsed.

Afterwards, in my 20's, I lost all the weight, and it was going back to rules, (but new ones), like not eating anything at night, and not eating red meat, that I lost weight.
Thank you for making me think about that, I've never realized this before.

Just an observation that keeps appearing in front of me:

It is fascinating that when we try to hide our traits, things go down hill horribly. When we acknowledge and grant the trait existence, then sometimes we can influence the amplitude of impact that the trait has upon us.

My food can't touch. When I was a kid, ketchup wasn't allowed near my food. I was a horrible eater, I'd be at the dinner table for 3 hours because I had an array of food issues.

I would go through phases from possibly three years onwards?
I didn't worry about foods touching because I insisted there was only ever one type of foodstuff on there.
just potatoes or just pasta or just meat. Just one thing
At one point I would only eat Quavers.
I'd obsess on just one thing until I ate myself sick of it then obsess about a different type of food and only eat that.

I grew out of it eventually.

When I was a young kid I was a picky eater and much like folks describe on here, food can't touch etc. I would only eat one item of food at a time, all rice till it's done then all meat till it's done or whatever. However this is an aspire trait I've entirely outgrown. I am very much the opposite of a picky eater now and love new combinations.

The eating one food at a time bit still haunts me a little though. I'll switch it up, but it feels like it's just for show. If I take a bite of rice and aim to bite something else next, I don't have any logical way of choosing what's next. I choose at random then.

I did, and I still do. I'm pretty much the king of picky eaters. Here are some examples:

• I never buy generic brand foods because I feel like they're inferior to brand name foods.
  • I only eat pasta with Barilla sauce, and no other kind.
  • With the exception of pizza, I always eat cheese by itself - not with macaroni, not with burgers, etc. - basically the cheese stands alone.
  • I eat meats like beef and chicken without side dishes - and if I do eat sides, it's only once I'm done with the meats.
  • I only eat specific types of fish - sole, salmon and tuna.
  • I always eat subs with the bread extra-toasted, to the point of it being almost burnt.
  • Sometimes I eat cookies before the main meal.
  • The only type of sandwiches I eat are subs and chicken sandwiches from burger joints.
  • Meats like salami and pastrami - just like cheese, they stand alone (unless they're part of the aforementioned sub).
Might be some more examples I forgot about, but this is an ample list. I don't eat a lot of fruits and veggies either.

I also have two odd things about eating I haven't seen on this thread and wonder if anyone can shed light on them or have the same traits....
I can't seem to make myself eat the tips of things like french fries or the sandwich edge where I held it.
French fries end up a pile of little ends left. Sandwiches, cookies, etc. I leave the part I held in my fingers.
I don't think of germs either, not consciously anyway. Just always did this. Don't know why. But, people notice. Same with the last sip of a drink. I've been told to drink the last drop. And there's always a few pieces of anything I eat even with utensils left. I see people scraping the plate clean. I just can't do it. It makes me feel sick to try. Anyone else like this?
I have something similar with the tips, but it only applies to meat and meat by-products: I can't eat the tip of sausage, no matter what kind. I love hotdogs, but you can be sure before I bite into said hotdog, I will claw at the tip with my nail or whatever is hard enough to do the job, in order to remove it on both sides. If I'm served sausage in a dish, I will cut those tips and leave them on the side of the plate, even at restaurants --and I will order the sausage thing if I feel like it, don't care what the waiter thinks when he picks up a plate full of tiny sausage tips. Well, there was that one time where someone at the table asked jokingly if I was practicing circumcision. I was not amused.

i have a strong dislike of warm milk, too slimy. i like cold milk. i've heard that some people won't drink milk because they say it's like drinking blood, anyone else heard about this?

i've always had a problem fishing because i felt really bad about hurting the fish with the hook, i even felt bad about hurting the worm.:(
I've never drank blood (the sight of blood on a steak or plate is another problem), but I definitely can't drink plain milk. Can't stand the smell to begin with, and the taste is nasty to me. Chocolate milk is OK, though.

Also, I hate eggs, in any form. People keep on telling me eggs don't have a taste, but they do have a taste, don't they? Especially the yolks? Especially in Europe? (Scrambled eggs in the US, I can do if I'm in a setting where I can't get away from eating them, as long as there are enough potatoes to cancel the taste and texture)

Kids in my family have always been very picky eaters, many have outgrown it, but some have not. I'm the only Autistic in the family, so I'm one of the pickiest, but not the worst! We always knew where the Peanut Butter and Jelly was kept and we could make it ourselves!

If I don't like the smell of it, I'm not about to Eat It!!

Casseroles are out, I don't like surprises, I need to know exactly what I'm eating!

Very little sauce on spaghetti, just a coating because I don't care for tomato's, I'll eat ketchup but not a lot and preferably Organic because regular gives me a headache.

I rarely eat leftovers because if I didn't like it enough the first time, it's not worth a second time. Thanksgiving Leftovers are the exception!

Growing up my brother and I were very very thin, and very picky

Cooked Green Beans! I'll eat them off the vine, please don't cook them!!

Just about any vegetable in a tin can is a No Go for me! "Something" happens to vegetables in a can and it's not pretty! only exception is creamed corn for Corn Chowder!

I'd rather serve my own plate, I can get easily overwhelmed and turned off if my plate has too much food on it!

I have something similar with the tips, but it only applies to meat and meat by-products: I can't eat the tip of sausage, no matter what kind. I love hotdogs, but you can be sure before I bite into said hotdog, I will claw at the tip with my nail or whatever is hard enough to do the job, in order to remove it on both sides. If I'm served sausage in a dish, I will cut those tips and leave them on the side of the plate, even at restaurants --and I will order the sausage thing if I feel like it, don't care what the waiter thinks when he picks up a plate full of tiny sausage tips
That is the same with me. It fits right in with my not eating the tips of fries. Can't stand the ends of sausages and hotdogs.
Also I see a thing about certain colours in the food too. Forgot to mention that one. For me it is anything red.
Little bits of red pepper they put in for looks or seasoning or small pieces of tomatoe. I can eat a slice of tomatoe just fine. But, the little chopped pieces of red, I will pick out with my fork.
Also there are two foods I don't like due to the texture. Yogurt. It feels slimey and sticky. And peanut butter. It feels sticky yet dry.
OH, and learning to brush my teeth was a horror. I got sick at the feel of the foamy toothpaste. That was a real nightmare for my Mom. :eek:

I never minded mayo or things touching or anything like that, though it was hard to get me to try new foods (as with most kids, I suppose).
The 'weird' food habit that I had that lasted me until I was at least 15 or so was that I would 'dissect' all of my food.

For instance? McDonald's chicken nuggets. I would tear off all of the skin, eat the skin, and only then would I eat the 'middle'. I did this with anything with a skin, including grapes (I'd peel off the skin with my teeth like you would a banana, starting at the little hole where the stem came from, for every individual grape), and even for some things without one. I'd just eat the outside first. Like with Twinkies or Oreos, I would eat the 'cake' or 'cookie' parts of all of them and then leave myself with a big dollop of icing.

I'm not an Aspie but don't you dare give me a tomato whole or sliced. I will use ketchup for fries or hot dogs. I'll eat tomato soup from the can. I'll eat spaghetti sauce but the tomato is liquid by that point. If a sit-down restaurant was to put a slice of tomato on my sandwich (or on the side) it's going in the trash.

And another thing ... I'm sure a lot of people eat fresh corn (on the cob or cut off) but only give me the yellow corn. I don't know why but I won't eat white corn. Same with cabbage - give me green or give me nothing. I'm sure they all taste the same but that's just me.

Variety in the simplest sense really isn't part of my food regimen and never is. I tend to buy the same groceries all the time. And yet it's nearly a catastrophe when after so many years, I discover that I'm tired of one particular food, and yet have no substitutes to think of. Go figure. I'm nuts. :eek:

[QUOTE="Karen S., post: 404463,Casseroles are out, I don't like surprises, I need to know exactly what I'm eating!

Cooked Green Beans! I'll eat them off the vine, please don't cook them!!

Just about any vegetable in a tin can is a No Go for me! "Something" happens to vegetables in a can and it's not pretty! only exception is creamed corn for Corn Chowder!
[/QUOTE]
yes Casseroles and green beans are evil I can not even stand the smell of green beans cooking.
cooked broccoli is bad too!
Cooked onions make me want to throwup!

things like canned peas really are not edible!

if there was sauce from one food and it spilled onto another, I would try to avoid the food the sauce got spilled on. nothing spicy, and I didn't like oils. I would usually try to eat what was least favourable first.

New Threads

Top Bottom