• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014

The news outlets reporting on Robin's death reminded me a lot of when Michael Jackson died. Personally, my emotions were very similar in both instances; I really felt like I'd lost a friend, even though I hadn't met either of them.

Whenever someone who gives the world laughter or joy passes away, its a shock to many people, especially in popular culture. I loved Robin's films much more than his standup comedy, but I will miss him nevertheless. I sincerely hope he's in Heaven with Jesus now, finally free from the pain he fought against here.

When Robin Williams first burst onto the scene as Mork in Mork and Mindy, I wasn't a big fan of his. I didn't much care for the show, it just wasn't my thing, I guess. But as he matured as an actor, he became one of my favorites.

No one knows what dark night of the soul another person is going through, but his suicide gave me quite a jolt. I struggle with depression and low self-esteem and the ongoing stresses of life in general, and my reaction was, if he found life intolerable, then what about the rest of us? I mean, he had it made in many ways. I just want to ask, Why, Robin, Why? Why did you give up?

The other night I watched "Hook". Early on Robin, as Peter Pan, says, "Death is the ultimate adventure;" Later in the movie, he amends it to "Life is the ultimate adventure." Apparently he forgot this line, or life was no longer the ultimate adventure for Robin Williams. It is so sad, so terribly, terribly sad.

I just want to ask, Why, Robin, Why? Why did you give up?
I object very strongly to your choice of words. Saying he "gave up" implies that he was a weak man (he wasn't), that depression is controllable through sheer force of will (it's not) and that suicide is giving up (it's not).

He didn't give up. The chorus of his inner demons simply became too loud for him to bear.

Last edited:
When i heard about his death I often think about when people who call those who commit suicide cowards. But ultimately they just don't understand those with depression ( i myself have it but i mostly get angry not depressed) or what a person goes through. Much like those of us with aspergers. It is now 1 - 68. How long til it is 1 out of 2?

Robin Williams took his life on my birthday.

...at the time I was a very desperately and actively depressed individual. That is? I was likely struggling with many of the feelings that overcame him. What made it worse is that, apparently like him, these feelings have been frequent in my life- not a one time occurrence.

I couldn't do much of anything for my birthday, I wasn't able to see anyone much last summer because of constant illness. No on really remembered my birthday and I wasn't about to remind them. This was really really hard. not because no one remembered my birthday- that's not really a big issue.

The bigger issue was that... normally I at least sit around with friends and watch a movie or play a board game or something stupid, but i couldn't even do that. I was desperately depressed- I couldn't tell anyone because it would be seen as some sort of horrible "attention seeking behavior", and all over the place, everyone was making judgments about how this selfish terrible person "simply gave up".

I think this is the second time I've written about it at all. I've only talked to one person about it at all.
I'm not looking forward to my birthday this year at all, because it's going to provoke that entire conversation again- and the reality is that there are a bunch of people walking around feeling pretty constantly suicidal, more than half their energy and personal resources taken up by just existing. People don't understand how continually painful that can b, so call it selfish when ultimately an end is sought to the pain.

Understandably, people who don't experience those desperate depressions don't think it selfish to guilt these individuals about wanting to escape this continuous pain.

That's what my birthday was about last year, but i couldn't talk to anyone about it. I could only walk around and not at all participate in conversations about robin williams and how he was likely in pain for a really really long time- but that's no excuse[?].

Made me sad for everything. But especially for this man who probably just constantly put his pain aside and processed everything through laughter, because that's what you do to survive. There are people who now choose to simply see him as some horribly selfish individual instead of the fighter he likely was for decades. I know we really can't entirely understand what we don't experience though- just like I can't understand that point of view entirely. I try, but it's still really upsetting.

[eta: clarification]

He was my brother's favorite comedian. I heard that he had been depressed in his life before, but never knew he would do this. Aladdin is one of my favorite movies. I know it's been a long time, but RIP.

Interesting, but still tragic to learn Robin Williams suffered from Diffuse Lewy Body Dementia, and was only weeks from being admitted to inpatient care for it. With a prognosis of about three years to live. Apparently his wife only recently acknowledged this.

"The illness causes hallucinations, motor skills issues, a fluctuating mental state and contributed to the depression he was suffering."

http://www.mynews4.com/news/story/R...ve-inpatient-care/dhBgsbBV2k-EAH21w7-uMQ.cspx

The article basically says he has to commit himself to an institution for the rest of his life.

I've considered voluntarily committing myself for my own safety in the past - I'm no danger to anyone else, even at my worst. I'm aware, through various avenues, that were I to do so, I may very well spend the rest of my life incarcerated and under sedation.

I prefer the option of freedom to find my own answers.

You are my inspiration Dude!

...I rather thought, regarding his death, if U matvsay this...that he would probably be the last baby-boomer ooo culture celebrity whose death might be seen as " unexpected " or coming at a " youthful " age - that after him all such prominent persons' deaths of people if that age, no matter how bad the circumstances or how much you might miss them, would hardly be " unexpected ". He still had a fairly youthful image, I suppose, even just his look, so no matter what his actual age was, he still seemed fairly young.

New Threads

Top Bottom