• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Really? So feel the need to explain and then: oh I get that, but I am not this aspergic thing!

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Despite not officially with "professionals", I know that I am an aspie, for there are some who do recognise the traits, but of course, that is due to actually knowing me and thus, things come out. Anyway, this is leading me to be a bit open, but when I feel that it is necessary and that is what I did to one of our guests yesterday, but she looked at me quizzically ( I can sometimes read emotions accurately) and so I felt the need to explain myself and then got: oh but I get that lol and I am not aspergic :( Ok so this tends to make me feel stupid and try to change the subject. She did however agree that she had not found me too much etc (blasted paranoia).

I do sometimes feel like saying: what the heck do you want? A letter of confirmation?

As I say, it seems that I come across as pretty normal, but happens when I feel comfortable with ones and whoa to have them laughing with me, is something else lol

If it were me and it was really bothering me that certain people weren't believing me, I would do what I needed to do to get officially diagnosed just for my own piece of mind. That way if you do choose to tell someone you can actually say it as a statement of fact. Honestly, I found out from another Aspie on this site that even being officially diagnosed didn't help in his situation. It's kinda like a person who says they are overweight because of a thyroid problem and not because they eat all of the wrong things and don't exercise. I, as a nurse, don't usually believe this unless I see a TSH (thyroid) test. It just seems that things aren't true unless they are in black and white on paper.

If it were me and it was really bothering me that certain people weren't believing me, I would do what I needed to do to get officially diagnosed just for my own piece of mind. That way if you do choose to tell someone you can actually say it as a statement of fact. Honestly, I found out from another Aspie on this site that even being officially diagnosed didn't help in his situation. It's kinda like a person who says they are overweight because of a thyroid problem and not because they eat all of the wrong things and don't exercise. I, as a nurse, don't usually believe this unless I see a TSH (thyroid) test. It just seems that things aren't true unless they are in black and white on paper.

That is what I plan on doing in the new year!

I was the one who brought it to my Dad and his girlfriend's attention that her daughter might be Autistic, so if you feel that your an Aspie, I'm open minded to consider it.

Well I'll have to really know you but I'm not part of the internet groups who likes to say "Oh your not an Aspie if you do so and so" which gets on my nerves :/

Actually, I sometimes doubt my diagnosis but then I have to remember that there are some things I got sort used to that used to bother me in the past and some social anxiety I can deal with.

People shouldn't judge strictly by the books of what their idea of Autism is, instead they should keep an opened mind and consider the impossible in my opinion.

Besides, I like weird and crazy people :D

I was the one who brought it to my Dad and his girlfriend's attention that her daughter might be Autistic, so if you feel that your an Aspie, I'm open minded to consider it.

Well I'll have to really know you but I'm not part of the internet groups who likes to say "Oh your not an Aspie if you do so and so" which gets on my nerves :/

Actually, I sometimes doubt my diagnosis but then I have to remember that there are some things I got sort used to that used to bother me in the past and some social anxiety I can deal with.

People shouldn't judge strictly by the books of what their idea of Autism is, instead they should keep an opened mind and consider the impossible in my opinion.

Besides, I like weird and crazy people :D

I should say to be fair to her, she had not heard of the word aspergers, and so when I explained that it is on the spectrum of Autism, well yes of course, logically, she is going to look at me in surprise, because I look normal!

I believe it's good to seek validation of one's own autism in whatever ways you choose for yourself. However I wouldn't expect or assume validation from others whether one is formally diagnosed or not. No matter what, you're always going to run into the same three variables when attempting to explain yourself:

1) Those who either already know, or will try to understand and succeed in doing so.
2) Those who might want to understand but will fail.
3) Those who don't want to bother, defaulting to expecting you to simply conform to the dominant neurology.

Personally I find it a VERY "touchy" issue to discuss with much of anyone outside the autistic community. With a "one in three" chance of making your point to much of anyone whether they're inside or outside your own personal orbit.

Last edited:
I think that sometimes people tell a person that an issue they say they have isn't so bad just to be polite. For example, when I first talked about the possibility of my having AS, I told my mum, who then told my sister. I then asked my mum whether my sister thought I may have AS or not, and my mum answered yes. Then, I met up with my sister, and she kept telling me not to worry, she has a friend with a little boy with AS and I'm not at all like him, so I can't have it... that confused me at first because I know that she told my mum that she thought I had it. I now realise that she was probably trying to make me feel better, and that it had never occurred to her that I was seeking validation. Polite and helpful are two entirely different things.

I believe it's good to seek validation of one's own autism in whatever ways you choose for yourself. However I wouldn't expect or assume validation from others whether one is formally diagnosed or not. No matter what, you're always going to run into the same three variables when attempting to explain yourself:

1) Those who either already know, or will try to understand and succeed in doing so.
2) Those who might want to understand but will fail.
3) Those who don't want to bother, defaulting to expecting you to simply conform to the dominant neurology.

Personally I find it a VERY "touchy" issue to discuss with much of anyone outside the autistic community. With a "one in three" chance of making your point to much of anyone whether they're inside or outside your own personal orbit.
Judge, you hit the nail right on the head! This is why I have only told my family and those here about my diagnosis. Very few others know about my AS and those who do, do not understand. I sought out and paid for the diagnosis myself just for my own information. Maybe I'm just being old & grumpy, but if someone doesn't like me being different, I just don't care.

I really hate that dismissive "oh, I feel that way too", and it's often promptly followed by "well, I deal with it without complaining, so you should too". Here's a better idea, (in example) if it also bothers you so much too, then let's stop buying bras that only close in the back and demand that the designers think things through a little more! If they agree with me, then it does bother them as much as me. If it doesn't, well obviously I have more nerve-endings and common sense than the person I'm talking to, so their opinion really doesn't count. Expecting me to "just deal with it" is on par with me expecting everybody to start using their toes to pick fallen items up off the floor just because I have the coordination for it, even though a lot of them obviously don't.

On an amusing note, the majority of my family does "go through that too" with a bunch of my symptoms. I'm just lucky enough to get the combined symptoms and a few extra to make me the official autistic one. :yum:

It can be that way on many topics. There some people assume a blind person is also death. Kinda odd way of that person assuming that as being death and blind is two completely different things. I think people needs to be more educated on topics. This is what I do when something I don't fully understand. I'm bloody sick of people when they talk Aspergers, they reference Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. Not everyone who haves Aspergers would behave in the same way as Sheldon. Then again, using a comedy show to get educated on a topic is normally a very bad idea.

I'm still making phone calls to locate someone who will evaluate me. So far, three people have indicated it's just not something they'll consider.

I'm still making phone calls to locate someone who will evaluate me. So far, three people have indicated it's just not something they'll consider.

Well I got my diagnosis accidently by going to human services for help on jobs. Didn't get any help other than my job lady maybe wanting to date me. But I did get to find out I was a H/f auspie could get tested more but the symptoms are fairly obvious. The funny thing is mom pushed me to do it for disability for a job, she absolutely hates it when I start telling people about my auspie thing. I said I didn't choose my DNA and I'd rather be a auspie than just plain weird. She's still waiting on the the stork refund, some people just can't face reality.

When my brother was diagnosed, a lot of our family started with "well, I have that issue, too!" It made me want to point out that we all share the same genes and they probably have many of the same tendencies and maybe even fall on the higher functioning end of the spectrum. But I kept my mouth shut. Only my parents, my best friend, and you guys know my suspicions about myself. ;) I figure most people either will discount it because it's not official (oh, how I wish I could afford to make it so) or won't understand. My friends have just figured out that I'm quirky and they don't have a problem with it. People who do aren't my friends. Most are either oblivious to my constant stimming and quirks or just plain don't care. I'm ok with keeping it that way.

I should say to be fair to her, she had not heard of the word aspergers, and so when I explained that it is on the spectrum of Autism, well yes of course, logically, she is going to look at me in surprise, because I look normal!

Its that "But you look normal" or "but i don't see you rocking/stimming" thing that really bothers me.

Other people being dismissive is sadly par for the course. I was particularly riled recently when a friend (to whom I am 'out') described the ongoing problems their son's girlfriend is having, whom they know well. To me it sounded strongly like ASD should at least enter into consideration, so I asked if they were in a position to bring this up to their son's girlfriend in a constructive and positive way. They said perhaps.

It seems I was taken seriously enough for them to read up on ASD a little, but still, my friend told me a few days later that they didn't think ASD had anything to do with it, based on what they had read. I was dumbfounded. Granted, I don't know the young woman in question, but if what I was told about her (in some detail, too) was accurate - and I'm obviously intimately acquainted with what HFA/AS can be, and this friend knows that - then I don't know how the possibility could be dismissed so completely on the basis on an unnamed source on the internet. The opinion of the living, breathing person they know who lives with HFA/AS has less weight than their second-hand opinion based on (likely also second-hand) information on the internet! And their research likely didn't consume hours, let alone continued reading over months and years, coupled with first-hand experience, like it did in my case. So, yeah, I was pretty miffed at the categorical dismissal of ASD as a possibility for what the young woman in question might be dealing with. I also thought it was a shame for her not give her the option of deciding for herself, in case she's not familar with ASD.

I suspect it's kind of like the OP mentioned - it seems people want to tick the boxes to all possible associated (derivative) symptoms before they take ASD seriously (or have that official 'letter of approval'), ignoring that almost no one has every possible problem and comorbidity associated with ASD. As a random example, I have a mild degree of prosopagnosia, others on the spectrum don't. But I can read other people's emotions/body language quite well while some others can't. On that basis alone I've been told by random people - not medical, psychological or mental health professionals even - that no, I am not autistic. And they were dead certain! Although I have two qualified diagnoses, decades apart, one of them fairly recent. The ignorance out there is really quite breathtaking.

Keeping your own council, as was suggested upthread, is a good idea. Personally, I think that people want to diagnose autism the way they diagnose the common cold. If you have a cold, you have the sniffles. If you are autistic, you must be Rainman. Obviously that's nonsense. Even within the so-called triad of impairments, there's lots of room for variation within and between the categories: you may cope well with friendships (perhaps you have learned over time whom to befriend and whom not to), but not with work (less choice re who, how, what) (social/social). You may not use language as a social tool, but understand sarcasm (language & communication/language & communication). You may need routine, but may be able to display empathy closely enough for NT society to understand (social/imagination). (I say display empathy because that's really what should be said when people refer to the supposed 'lack of empathy' among autistics. Otherwise, we'd be sociopaths. It's unfortunate that, in the case of empathy, the word is used for the presentation and not the emotional capacity. We don't lack empathy in the least just because we're not all cuddly. Plus, the display is all too easy to fake, especially for many NTs, who are relatively untaxed by the social side of it.)

With everything I've read and experienced over the course of my life so far, I put a lot of stock in the Intense World Theory. It has the added upside of bypassing the deficit model, which I personally don't subscribe to, but the triad of impairments inherently does.

But just for argument's sake, let's say no one ever diagnoses you as autistic. Do you, as the only person who lives your life, find the model of autism relevant to you? Then it's relevant to you and you should use it! In the end, if it is not assistance from a government/official body that you are seeking, the only thing that matters is the information that you, and only you, find relevant to your life and your experience, regardless of categories, labels and diagnoses. I don't think categories, labels and diagnoses are useless or detrimental in this case, but they're not the be-all and end-all, and if getting the official stamp of approval for them should turn into a problem, it doesn't invalidate your aggregate life experience and should not keep you from using less formal help (as opposed to the help from government/official bodies only available on diagnosis) that is available to the group with which you identify, nor should it keep you from using the name of the condition.

Last edited:
Holy cow! This is what comes from psychologists essentially "making up" disorders. No, I'm not saying that people are imagining or pretending to be different. What I'm saying is that the medical community has gone way beyond the scientific study of real physical brain types or differences - they may as well be diagnosing "Witches" - that's how bad the crazy list of symptoms has become. Self-diagnosing ASD has become a "fad" among many self-centered young people, and it is a bad thing to do, because it confuses the difficulties that are very real for Autistic and Asperger individuals with typical narcissistic adolescent behavior, which it is NOT. Yes I am an officially diagnosed Asperger: if you seriously think you may be ASD, then please be evaluated. If you don't want to or can't find out, then don't go around claiming to be ASD. It makes it harder for those who are diagnosed, because it makes a joke out of real problems that we live with!

This is not a game!

Holy cow! This is what comes from psychologists essentially "making up" disorders. No, I'm not saying that people are imagining or pretending to be different. What I'm saying is that the medical community has gone way beyond the scientific study of real physical brain types or differences - they may as well be diagnosing "Witches" - that's how bad the crazy list of symptoms has become. Self-diagnosing ASD has become a "fad" among many self-centered young people, and it is a bad thing to do, because it confuses the difficulties that are very real for Autistic and Asperger individuals with typical narcissistic adolescent behavior, which it is NOT. Yes I am an officially diagnosed Asperger: if you seriously think you may be ASD, then please be evaluated. If you don't want to or can't find out, then don't go around claiming to be ASD. It makes it harder for those who are diagnosed, because it makes a joke out of real problems that we live with!

This is not a game!

I am also officially diagnosed (twice actually) and I used to frown upon people who self diagnose but after giving it some thought, I've come to change my views on it.

Take, for example, a healthy, well adjusted person. They're not suffering from any of the 'symptoms' that go with having Asperger's so they wouldn't even think to look them up. They wouldn't even know they existed, let alone pretend to have them.

I think most people who self-diagnose had a reason in the first place to go looking for answers. Because they had the problems in the first place.

I do think some people may think it's cool to be weird, different (and it is) but it's only real if it's real. I couldn't see the point in pretending to be something you're not. Maybe attention seeking? But on the whole, I think those who self-diagnose have a reason for believing that they have it.

When I got diagnosed the first time, I refused to believe it but then again, I didn't know anything about it apart from the fact that it was a form of Autism.

After being diagnosed the second time, I started to think "There must be something in this!" Then I started to research it and could see why 2 independent psychiatrists 5 years apart could 'see' it in me.

There's my point. Once I started to learn what it meant to have Asperger's Syndrome, I could see the symptoms in me. It just happened to be after I was diagnosed but if I'd have read it even before being diagnosed, I'd have still seen that I'm a classic example of an Aspie. I probably would have self-diagnosed as well!

Last edited:
People take these things personally, but don't see the wider effects. Let's say some self-diagnosed person, who isn't Asperger, just wants attention, so they bring a gun to school and it accidentally goes off. (This happens: I was a teacher.) Everyone thinks that this person is Asperger and concludes that Aspergers are dangerous and potentially violent. There's a report on TV news that says just this. He "did it" because he's Asperger. People believe what they hear. The next time those people are told that there's an Asperger child in their kid's class they go crazy and demand that the kid is removed to a different school. The school refuses, but now the kid has been labeled and is treated very badly by both teachers and students.

The myths around Asperger are already crazy - we don't need "fake" Aspergers.

Last edited:
I think getting test is good maybe not perfect tho, I have mixed feelings about people running around claiming to have this or that confusing condition, confusing others, with out checking properly if they can, there are ways to do it for free. (No insult intended) But more importantly a more serious underlying condition could be missed as often there are more than one conditions involved. And the purpose is to know and understand who you are, so you and those you love can find better ways of dealing with things, and increase the quality of life for everyone. :) a soon full of sugar makes the medicine go down...La la la!

New Threads

Top Bottom