• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Real Beauty Vs. Physical Beauty

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
First, it is nessecary for me to state this is an entirely hypothetical situation, just so everybody knows, I make this thread to encourage discussion and answer questions.

--------

Guys do this all the time, they rabbit on about how personality matters more to them than looks, women do it too but its more believable when they say it, but that's not at debate here.

We have probably all heard a similar story of a person falling in love with a voice on the telephone, well now the internet is here to provide us with much the same oppurtunity to prove that looks dont matter.

It would be so easy to fall under the spell of a wonderful personality as interpreted via the things they write, but there is where it loses its romance, because it is the internet so it could be anybody.

What I am saying is this, physical beauty is the foot in the door, your personality is what makes you attractive or not, so take away the physical aspect and personality becomes the focus, right.

Therefore the phone idea is still a physical realm, almost ideal in that you can verify in 90% of cases that the person is the sex they claim to be and you have their personality to boot.
But the internet is a different kettle of fish, you cant trust that the lovely personality you have affection for is coming from who it says it is, this is where video chat comes in, the closest thing to meeting in real life.

But that just brings us back to physical appearance being more inportant than personality, right?

What I am saying is this, physical beauty is the foot in the door, your personality is what makes you attractive or not, so take away the physical aspect and personality becomes the focus, right.

We do have to remember that what is beautiful or handsome to one person may not be so to another. I am not attracted to the classic "handsome" type, but to someone tall, heavier set and much more rugged looking. I'm sure men have as many different types they are attracted to as well. We lose out if we let society dictate who we should be attracted to.

I have always believed in the inner beauty (personality) of a person, and not the outer beauty (outward appearance), because even if a person is really beautiful on the outside, they can be extremely 'ugly' on the inside, where-as someone who appears to be 'ugly' on the outside, can be very beautiful, personality wise. However there are times where a person can be beautiful on both the outside and the inside. But in other words, I believe in never 'judging a book by it's cover'. :)

But I guess that comes from the fact that I'm bucking ugly myself.

First, it is nessecary for me to state this is an entirely hypothetical situation, just so everybody knows, I make this thread to encourage discussion and answer questions.

--------

Guys do this all the time, they rabbit on about how personality matters more to them than looks, women do it too but its more believable when they say it, but that's not at debate here.

We have probably all heard a similar story of a person falling in love with a voice on the telephone, well now the internet is here to provide us with much the same oppurtunity to prove that looks dont matter.

It would be so easy to fall under the spell of a wonderful personality as interpreted via the things they write, but there is where it loses its romance, because it is the internet so it could be anybody.

Therefore the phone idea is still a physical realm, almost ideal in that you can verify in 90% of cases that the person is the sex they claim to be and you have their personality to boot.
But the internet is a different kettle of fish, you cant trust that the lovely personality you have affection for is coming from who it says it is, this is where video chat comes in, the closest thing to meeting in real life.

But that just brings us back to physical appearance being more inportant than personality, right?
Well for me life experience has taught me the so called very attractive type (Model,hollywood) has always been a self-centered,superficial person never anyone I would want to be with. I prefer tom boy qualities much more but inner beauty is everything!

There are advantages and disadvantages of the different communication types you need to factor in. You can't really compare face to face or video chat with the phone as a phone call relies on a persons ability to interpret audible cues, but either of the other two allow interpretation of visual cues as well. As an aspie who struggles with communication (particularly audible cues), I will take video chat or face to face any day over a phone call.

So when you say you can verify more through a phone call without physical appearance influencing you, that is true but it has other implications.

Real beauty can enhance my thoughts on someone's physical beauty at times. Sorry if this is random.

New Threads

Top Bottom