• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question re: electrician for aspie son

Sharonl25

My Aspie son is entering vocational school next year and is interested in Electrical Trade but could also go into Computer Tech or Building Trades. He is currently deciding between computer and electrical. My son has been wiring since he was 9 yrs. old. He also has ADHD not the hyper kind, but the kind that doesn't like repetition. Is it safe for him to go into Electrical? The school is saying its a class of 20 kids to 1 teacher and my son will need an aide because the teacher can't watch him all the time and for safety. The school wants to lock him out of electrical and building trades because of aspergers/adhd and I have a meeting getting planned because they are discriminating since they found out about his aspergers. So, do any of you do electrical? Is computer or electrical better? Does he need an aide? He's been wiring since 9. Lights, fans, switches.

Hi,
Repairing and operating electronic systems was my specialty in the military for 27 years. We also did basic electrical. I was also required to do a lot of mechanical and computer repairs. Pretty much fix anything that wasn't alive or a rock.

I would say its not a bad choice at all for an Aspie. It's very detailed, challenging and often requires a lot of solo work. The only qualifier I would place on it is that the person is safety concious. I was very interested in the safety aspect and so had no problems.

As far as choice between computers and electrical I don't know. To me the job market would be the deciding factor. In which field at this time is employment more likely.

I went to a vocational high school and learned electrical trades. I have worked in the electrical trade off and on for almost 15 years now, and Joined the IBEW electricians Union. If he can hang, and focus enough to learn, it can be an excellent and financially rewarding career path.
I have used my electrician skills to work on military aircraft and navigation systems, passenger vehicles, oil fields, hospitals, factories, houses, commercial buildings, security, fire alarm and surveillance. I used my electrical knowledge and have worked around the world, up and down the eastern seaboard and California.
I live with diagnosed Aspergers, add, and anxiety.

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and I have spent the last 45+ years working on electric vehicles, batteries and battery chargers. It is interesting, challenging and, best of all, I worked alone most of the time. I think that electronics is a good choice for a Aspie.

New Threads

Top Bottom