• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Puberty is happening. Im freaking out! I have questions!!

Hi all. My 11 year old has been going through puberty and I know sometime in our near future she will become a young lady. My daughter has autism (high functioning) nut constantly needs reminders or cues to help her remember. I just have a very bad feeling once her menstrual cycle comes she is going to have a difficult time with it.

I need tips.... How did all you parents handle it? I have been very informative with her about it so she knows its going to happen I just don't think kshe understands the responsibility of how it all works. Keeping herself clean and when to change and all that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristy

Hi Kristy!
What a parenting club to unwittingly join! I am lucky enough to have 3 super cool kids. All exceptional and all female. My 12 year old has HF ASD. I was internally freaking out when she piped up one afternoon-- "Ah mom, I think I have my first period." She was 11 then, and I had hoped to get by with maybe another year, but life marches on. Her older sister had been menstruating for a couple of years, so at least the idea was not totally foreign.

Ever since my girls were showing physical signs of puberty, I had packed a clean pair of underwear with a maxi pad already applied, folded and stored in a small Ziploc bag and hidden in a school backpack pocket. The girls knew what it was for, and also had it with them on any sleep overs, camps, etc. They were told that if they got their 1st period when away from home, not to panic, just to change into the clean pair of panties with pad, and put the soiled pair into the Ziploc to bring home. That act saved my eldest dtr from an embarrassing day at school. I also have had maxi pads ready and waiting in the house since the girls were younger, and they knew where they were stored.

My 12 yo dtr. is the "absent-minded professor" to use a stereotype. She will hyperfocus, but then completely miss much of what's going on around her. She is extremely sensitive emotionally, but doesn't notice physical discomfort until it's extreme. I was really worried about how she would manage the hygiene aspect of periods-- esp. at school or away from home. She loves to read, so I had given her a few books about puberty (Care and Keeping of Girls... etc.) and had answered questions as she had them-- prior to her getting her 1st period. I found it way more comfortable for both of us, to let her read then ask questions, rather than me giving 'the talk'. When she got her the first time, I gave her hugs and congrats, but didn't make a huge deal about it otherwise. We went right to the practical side of things. Figured thru trial and error what kind of pads worked best for her. For school, packed her a little 'pencil case' pouch containing flushable wet-wipes and maxi pads. Put a discrete reminder in her daytimer to change her pad at lunch break. Picked low-risk outfits (no tight white shorts) and included a hoodie or long sleeved shirt which she could wear around her waist if a leak happened. It's really unpredictable for most girls starting out with periods, as to how they will present, and when. After sitting in a school chair for hour(s), then getting up, there is often a sudden flow moment which only good maxi-pads will handle.

Personal hygiene like hand/ body washing is an ongoing work in progress. Reminders are good. Household 'protocol' for washing soiled panties/ sheets was introduced right away. My girls know how to initially deal with those items, and where to put them so I can help finish any clean ups. Still, my middle dtr. tends to not notice on occasion, so I help her out. I get the girls to be specific about which products they like or don't like. They know to remind me if we need to add products to the grocery list. We don't hide our discussions (poor Dad) in our house.

The best strategies have been: be prepared, and treat nothing menstruation-related as shameful or embarrassing. Periods are just a normal part of life, and get easier to manage the older you get and more practice you have. My parents were very conservative and said nothing to me, so dealing with periods was fraught with anxiety. We have gone the other direction with our girls. Mistakes will happen, and learning right along with them. 8 periods since her 1st one, and my 12 yo is handling things more capably each time.
I will stop there. Many more 'private issues' left on the table tho! Swim parties, for eg:eek:

I am sadly not a mother, but based on my own puberty and being an aspie ( albeit not know that at the time), I instinctly knew that it was pretty nasty and smelly and thus, it also gets very uncomfortable if not changing for ages and so, I soon understood what I must do.

It did not take that much time, other, to figure out that sanatary protection, although not incredably hygienic as it goes, was much safer than tampons and besides it felt uncomfortable putting a tampon into me.

I also cottoned on that it is best to shower when on a period and to have a clean pair of knickers at hand with sanatary towel attached and a piece of toilet paper and would grap the toilet paper and place, so that any escaped blood would not ruin the clean body.

I do not enjoy washing, but I like to be clean and so go through the torture of it all.

It was only when I stopped bleeding that I realised the importance to the female having periods was. So make sure you explain and she should grasp it and especially if she is good with numbers. The cycle still gets me.

One thing you will have to be wary of is once she gets Boobs, the lads will start noticing her more, as a Parent you need to be on top of that.

We don't hide our discussions (poor Dad) in our house.
Of my three daughters, only my 23yo LFA daughter is still at home. My wife and I are both caregivers, but I'm her only legal guardian, so I am involved in helping her to manage her her periods, as needed. It isn't so bad after you get past the initial embarrassment. There are a few other gynecological duties that my wife prefers me to do as part of care-giving, but I've gotten used to them.

Being LFA, I wouldn't have any applicable advice. SJ is uncomfortable with pads. She takes them out and gets blood on everything. We have gone with adult, pull-up diapers in the daytime on those days. (She still wears them at night.)

I am not personally offended by the blood. It reminds me of a nosebleed. It is just difficult to clean off of some items.

Hi again!
Not that I'm obsessed with this issue-- it's just VERY relevant to us right now, with 3 menstruating gals in the house (only my 12 yo and myself are identified Aspies), and another to start hopefully not for a couple of years.
I wanted to mention that is has been helpful with my dtrs to help them track their periods on the calendar. I've been putting their initial on the family calendar on their expected start date for the next period. I just correct it whenever it doesn't come right on schedule--which is often in the first year-- and that helps us all be a bit more prepared. The girls wear daily-type panty liners on the iffy days before and after periods.
I am wide open to any follow up thoughts/ questions!:)

I have no children either, but, I remember as for myself, my Mom was very open about it, what it was all about and what it would be like.
My worst problem with it was I just didn't want it to happen. Thankfully my first period came at home while on school vacation at the age of 13.
I found it as bad as I thought it would be.
Mine were always very heavy and had problems in school with leak overs. I'm sure a tampon would have given more protection, but, I didn't like the feel. But, then I hated the pad too. This was worse than any scratchy clothes IMO.
Physically I always had headaches and hard cramping.
It took a long time to accept it is what it is.
I never wanted children so why did I have to put up with this? That was my worst issue.

Hopefully you will not have to put up with tantrums over the whole thing like my parents did. I am so glad all that is behind me now.
I used to put my initial on the calendar every month too.
It helps with that part of it at least.

One thing you will have to be wary of is once she gets Boobs, the lads will start noticing her more, as a Parent you need to be on top of that.

Ha! We are already there. Have been for a little over a year now. Thankfully my daughter doesn't show much interest in boys...yet as for the boys. She is so socially awkward she doesn't really have but only 1 or w friends..both of which are girls. That's not something I worry about at this point right now.

Hi again!
Not that I'm obsessed with this issue-- it's just VERY relevant to us right now, with 3 menstruating gals in the house (only my 12 yo and myself are identified Aspies), and another to start hopefully not for a couple of years.
I wanted to mention that is has been helpful with my dtrs to help them track their periods on the calendar. I've been putting their initial on the family calendar on their expected start date for the next period. I just correct it whenever it doesn't come right on schedule--which is often in the first year-- and that helps us all be a bit more prepared. The girls wear daily-type panty liners on the iffy days before and after periods.
I am wide open to any follow up thoughts/ questions!:)
Thanks! Everything was very informative. I have been open with her about it...but she doesn't seem to comprehend the concept of what's going to be involved. I will definitely be looking into some books. ☺

I have no children either, but, I remember as for myself, my Mom was very open about it, what it was all about and what it would be like.
My worst problem with it was I just didn't want it to happen. Thankfully my first period came at home while on school vacation at the age of 13.
I found it as bad as I thought it would be.
Mine were always very heavy and had problems in school with leak overs. I'm sure a tampon would have given more protection, but, I didn't like the feel. But, then I hated the pad too. This was worse than any scratchy clothes IMO.
Physically I always had headaches and hard cramping.
It took a long time to accept it is what it is.
I never wanted children so why did I have to put up with this? That was my worst issue.

Hopefully you will not have to put up with tantrums over the whole thing like my parents did. I am so glad all that is behind me now.
I used to put my initial on the calendar every month too.
It helps with that part of it at least.

This is part of what I'm worried about. Right now she cUrrently almost always never wears underwear because it bothers her. She has some sensory problems and after trying every underwear I've been able to find I gave up but know that needs to change. I'm hoping for a smooth transition when it happens. I would like to get by with another year for her to mature a little more but from what I see I don't think it will be much longer. Thanks for your help and advice.

I am sadly not a mother, but based on my own puberty and being an aspie ( albeit not know that at the time), I instinctly knew that it was pretty nasty and smelly and thus, it also gets very uncomfortable if not changing for ages and so, I soon understood what I must do.

It did not take that much time, other, to figure out that sanatary protection, although not incredably hygienic as it goes, was much safer than tampons and besides it felt uncomfortable putting a tampon into me.

I also cottoned on that it is best to shower when on a period and to have a clean pair of knickers at hand with sanatary towel attached and a piece of toilet paper and would grap the toilet paper and place, so that any escaped blood would not ruin the clean body.

I do not enjoy washing, but I like to be clean and so go through the torture of it all.

It was only when I stopped bleeding that I realised the importance to the female having periods was. So make sure you explain and she should grasp it and especially if she is good with numbers. The cycle still gets me.
My daughter also does not enjoy washing. I get met with a "why now?" every time I tell her she needs to take a shower. Its part of why I'm so worried. I'm hoping when she does start she's in the safety of her home to help transition her easier but I'm going to take steps to make sure she's as prepared as can be if it happens while she is away. Thanks you for you advice ☺

My daughter also does not enjoy washing. I get met with a "why now?" every time I tell her she needs to take a shower. Its part of why I'm so worried. I'm hoping when she does start she's in the safety of her home to help transition her easier but I'm going to take steps to make sure she's as prepared as can be if it happens while she is away. Thanks you for you advice ☺

When she says why now? Do you explain the reason in clear manner? Rather than just: because that is how it is, sort of thing?

I go by my hair to wash. So, because it gets greasy and I hate greasy hair, I use that as a guideline to shower and I admit, I have to really psych myself up for the annoying task and have a tight schedule for when I shower. I feel such relief when it is over. The same applies for washing my face. I would just about cope with doing it once a day, but I learned that it is best to do it twice and so, for many years have and many remark on how clear and smooth my skin looks, so naturally, lol I keep it up.

You need to use logic with her. We aspies work on logic ( not saying NT's do not; just that we tend to more often).

Hi Kristy!
How's it going on your end? Are you in the midst of 'back to school' time?

New Threads

Top Bottom