• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Programming?Work and/or hobby?

Aleksandar

Personaly, I don't treat myself as a programmer on a proffesional level.
But I made many aplications which helped me in jobs I worked.
I was started with Delphi, after it on Visual Studio. Today I working in the web environment(PHP+JS).
I have big interest for Android programming, but I'm not so strong in using of Java.
What is your expirience about the programming?

30 odd years ago I used to program in BASIC on the ZX Spectrum, and then about 13 years ago I did a course in MS Visual Basic 4 at Sheffield Hallam University which I passed and got a City and Guilds qualification.

I am currently in the process of saving for a Windows based PC to learn Unity to create PC and video games.

I also taught myself HTML a few years back and have created a few websites, I don't have any links to show my work though, as the hosting expired on my sites and I'm too skint to renew.

In high school I started with Turing "is a Pascal-like programming language developed in 1982 by Ric Holt and James Cordy, then of University of Toronto". My last assignment was to make a Bingo game. I also learned HTML as well.

College started with Visual Studio 6. I was very bored during my first year since I knew the fundamentals of programming from high school. I made my own Snakes and Ladders games in VB 6 on my spare time. Learning classic ASP, I did make my own photo album system.

During my 2nd year, .NET came out and the college changed the program to learn .NET. I also learned JAVA.

One day I meet someone had a system develop in PHP. They was willing to switch to .NET but I was thinking why should the client switch for me? So I taught my self PHP. During the time learning it, it kinda remind me of classic ASP. My career for a while was using PHP and MySQL.

With my current job requires .NET. I'm looking at a lot of training material to brush up my skills.

I met with my business advisory this month and she suggest during my spare time I should continue on my app idea. As I can't tell you the idea at this time besides it will help save people lives. I have decided after my camping trip next month I will resume working on my idea. My business advisory said if I can have a working prototype, she can find investors for me.

I learned a number of languages as needed:
  • BASIC (including VBASIC)
  • Assembly language (6502, 8086/88)
  • HTML
  • C++
  • Various forms of SQL, and
  • PLC Ladder Logic
I used them in conjunction with my electronic tech work, but could never break into full-blown programming, because employers kept insisting on five years experience.

(It was revealed, later, that the so-called experience requirement was a ploy to justify the importing of foreign programmers because they could be paid less...)

Last edited:
Basic, Visual Basic, C, C++, Python, Assembly (Z80, 6502, 6800, 68000), SQL, PHP, HTML :)

At highschool, a little Basic.
At Uni, a course on Fortran.
Loved the concept of machine language, but figured it would have low marketability, so didn't pursue it.
Extensively programmed my HP-28S to play games and do zoomable 3D graphs before they became a standard thing.
Quite a bit of batch file writing, vba and vb, and other general scripting.
Some javascript.
Have a need/desire to learn C# and powershell.
I don't count HTML as programming, but seeing as everyone else is claiming it I'll throw it in too.
In adult life, they all tend to be tools to help me or colleagues at work.
I enjoy it and can get quite engrossed in it to the exclusion of other things. But its never been my main role, so I can't claim any expertise.

Last edited:
When I was at college I touched on HTML, Visual Basic and C++ which lead me to experiment with JavaScript and Lua.

I haven't been able to make the transition to the more complex coding and libraries. I have been looking for projects that would ease the transition.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can you be a bit more specific as there many different areas in IT?

Different projects that I could do at home to improve my programming skills. For example in C++ I want to learn more about the different libraries and their functions.

I'm more of a practical learner so would benefit more from projects than reading up about it.

I'm at a quite basic level, I understand the general layout of the code, able to decipher some of the more obvious commands such as "loop", "while", "printf", etc.

Different projects that I could do at home to improve my programming skills. For example in C++ I want to learn more about the different libraries and their functions.

I'm more of a practical learner so would benefit more from projects than reading up about it.

I'm at a quite basic level, I understand the general layout of the code, able to decipher some of the more obvious commands such as "loop", "while", "printf", etc.
I think this link below would be perfect for you

C++ Projects for Beginners
http://www.cppforschool.com/projects.html

I would challenge you to make the snakes and ladder game project that they have on that website. This was the first game I made in college except I wrote it in VB 6. It was not assignment for college, I was just very bored for my first year.

Well, Im not a very good at programming but I really like it and need it for work, I'm studying electronic engineering and we start with python, then C++, I'm now in a verilog/HDL course and then it comes assembler.

It is ironic how many of my colleagues are good at code but they hate to do it

I have always been interested in programming from a teenager since I got my Commodore 16 and eventually moved onto the C64. Apart from a bit of BASIC and tiny knowledge of 6502 machine language, I just couldn't get a proper full grasp on it, and I still can't. Yet it still really interests me.

Apart from this, I have built and ran a few websites, where I learned a bit of html to incorporate in the webpages, usually tricks and stuff googled from the web though.

I know enough to read the basics of C++, C and C like code.
I began trying to learn C++ multiple times but never got far, but i know how to make more basic programs.
This summer i bought the "C Programming Language" book to try to learn C but I have stalled at section 1.9 for a few months now due to my interested have shifted to other things (I always have periods where I'm interested in specific things and will come back to other later)

I know i need to use and learn some basic HTML and SQL for a internal solution at my workplace, but I'm pretty sure I can bodge something together there.

New Threads

Top Bottom