• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Point of GRASP meetings?

I am a 36 year old male recently diagnosed with aspergers who was invited to go to a local meeting. What's the point? Will it be beneficial in any way or am I just going to be sitting around with other aspies all talking about pointless stuff? Does anyone else attend similar meetings? How has it benefited you or not helped at all.

We all come to this forum, and you came here for some reason yourself.
I imagine that some may do better in an online situation, some face to face [as in a meeting] and some people do well in either circumstance.

Often I find having the chance to meet and talk with people who have similar experiences to myself not only gives me new and different ideas on how to cope with my challenges, it can give me a bit of a confidence boost. If I feel self-conscious, anxious, worried, confused about something and another person does too it means more than just "I am not alone". If I meet another person I get along with who has similar experiences- it means I am not alone AND it's entirely possible I'm a decent sort of person. After all, this person I just met is decent and has some of the same challenges and experiences.

Another benefit you might get is figuring out you can assist others- in doing so you strengthen and reinforce your own skills in navigating the world.

These are all possibilities though. Meetings are made of individuals; it's difficult to predict precisely how any meeting will go- but it could be really helpful and pleasant.
I would give it a couple of tries at least.
If you want more information before you go, perhaps ask more of the person who invited you or ask the person running the meeting for more information and about what kinds of subjects are covered.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I will give it a try. I just didn't want to waste my time if many others didn't think they got much from it or didn't offer anything either. I know it's about putting in more than you will receive. I just figured it would be just like all the church small groups my wife pushes on me, after 2 meetings it's just a clique of buddies discussing football and stuff.

New Threads

Top Bottom