• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Please Let This Be a Place Where People Do Not Believe We Inherently Share Suffering

Welcome :)

the ads are pretty unbearable

An ad-blocker works. I forgot I had one, and couldn't work out why it said I could make the site 'ad free' with VIP membership, as I could already see no ads.

Most of us here have Asperger's Syndrome. What the gentleman said is that most of us do not suffer from Asperger's Syndrome. As for myself, I not only do not suffer from AS, I see it as a gift.

I have AS, and I wouldn't say I suffer from it. I have indeed had problems (suffer may be too strong a word) due to behaviours I exhibit/do not exhibit which are to do with AS, but I still wouldn't say I 'suffer' from AS. I agree with @clg114, in that I also see it as a gift.

There is no way for me to mathematically know the exact scope of the syndrome. Like I said, I have a natural caution towards both message boards and the Internet. If I came off as superior or proud, you completely misread me. The last few years I have wished that I never had these abilities. They have contributed to my shame. There are just a lot of autism sites on the Internet and I imagine there are people who are what my society deem "posers." If you feel I was not friendly, it is because humanity has taught me that extending a hand in friendship first before extending a normal, indifferent handshake is a dangerous proposition-being the one to initiate the friendliness can often lead to the other believing he has the upper hand and...I didn't mean to come off as friendly or unfriendly. So, my apologies. I feel unwelcome. I don't like this feeling. I have to always feel this with certain people. I have to assume it. But isn't kind of a circlejerk giving me lessons on how to approach a social situation correctly when the lessons are being given by people who know that this is a "struggle?" I am trying to talk to people as brethren and see how that works, not the poppycock façade that's super nice and pleasant because that's what they command. I want to express the real me. And the real me can be friendly only after a lot of reading/information gathering-and I took a chance by reading only a few posts here and not reading hundreds obsessively. Part of my condition is that I'm hypersensitive to what I feel is being "talked down" to and I expect this from most people, but I want to find a place where I don't feel this.

And for the person who mentioned how I wanted to introduce myself:

"Hi, my name is Charles. I have Asperger's. Whoa, I'm finally glad to get that off my chest. Because I feel like, just from having read this place, that maybe you can help or understand, but I've spent thirty-two years in absolute denial of my condition and I want to be as happy as some of you seem to be and I think I'm going in the right direction. However, I've just run into a nasty spell that was a five year spiral into very, very dark places that you might be able to fathom, but my depression and fall was extremely and particularly traumatic to say the least, so, I'm hoping that people here aren't like the others. What I experienced was unique to me and not in the way that other people think they are all unique because my pessimism informs me that they lie to themselves in order to make themselves feel better about their dismal condition...whoa, sorry for going off on a pessimism tangent, but this...What I really want to express is that I'm tired of hearing that "everyone is depressed" and that the economy "sucks for everyone." Because I'm learning about Asperger's and I've been a part of this society for my thirty plus years and I am not "everyone" and I don't share "their" problems. I do, yes, on a very basic level. But there are just some things that I try to explain to people and they have a hard time understanding. This is all."

Last edited:
I don't see many people on here saying they suffer from Asperger's and this second year of being on this forum. We generally see ourselves in a positive light in that sense, I think.

We are a friendly, understanding bunch and there is extremely rarely ever an argument between us. We do not discuss vaccines here and most of us are anti-Autism Speaks.

I view it as a curse. But, I have my horrid, black sense of humor. So, there's that.

As for myself, I not only do not suffer from AS, I see it as a gift.

Beautifully put. We're just wired differently and have positives and negatives the same as others. Absolutely no need to put meaningless test results in signatures and wear a condition like a badge. Be ourselves, embrace ourselves and enjoy our lives the best we can.

Interesting how you sound like an arrogant jerk, yet you're hypersensitive to being "talked down." Tell us more about how intelligent you are, please.

It's not anybody's responsibility to convince you that this forum is worthy of your presence. I think if you'll lurk around here for a while, you'll figure out if AC is a site/community with which you'd want to be included. If so, great, no hard feelings. If not, best of luck in your future endeavors!

PS-for self-publishing your book, check out Amazon via kdp.amazon.com and createspace.com

I don't know what to post. I feel like if I speak and people with "autism" hear me or listen, they don't get it. I feel like Asperger's is very rare and I've never talked with anyone with it face to face, so I'm wary of any notion of community.
It sounds as if your failure to connect could be more about your confusion toward your own identity. How can one communicate effectively if you have no clear idea to present?
Also, define your notion of community.
(Please don't take this critically, I just prefer to lay down clear foundations)

Because I believe that if you weren't able to read from birth, do maths at ten years ahead of your own grade level, have a working atlas in your head, have memorized most of history, etc., that you just won't get how my interactions with humanity have gone, and you won't understand that because of my personal dealings with normal society, I have come to a very pessimistic conclusion that human beings are by nature savages, barbarians, and that good and or decency is something that needs to be taught, whether from by a book (religion) or parenting or whatever.
I would say that I understand that perspective but I am not convinced by your conclusion. Granted, I only say understand; I don't have the same experiences (an impossibility to possess no matter how similar they might be).

I do not wish to demean anyone, but if there are not that many people who suffer from Asperger's on this forum, I have to present myself as a rational, yet pessimistic person who has no outward flaws except a very bleak outlook on human nature, which is perfectly normal within the realm of philosophical discussion.
I should hope that you won't need a mask here at all; however, if by present you mean take on a specific tone, I understand taking a philosophical tone in a discussion as I am very apt to do it. I am confused as to why it is dependent on the level of suffering here. Your word choice has a lot of connotations so I guess I would ask for a clarification.

I'm trying to reach out to other Asperger's sufferers because I have traveled to 95 countries and have had some very unique experiences and have written a book and need advice/help finding interested publishers, but the book is about Asperger's.
I'm sure there is someone here that can help you. I struggle and overcome but I do not suffer, so I probably won't be too helpful. It's a matter of perspective...

New Threads

Top Bottom