• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Please help a psychology student understand

Foira

Hey everyone,
I'm a psychology student studying how people with autism and/or asperger's use forums and how it helps them. It would really help me understand this more if you all could answer my questions. I'd be really happy if you could help me out! :)

1. Where are you on the spectrum?
2. Are you a kid (your age is less than 13), teen (your age is 13 – 21), adult (your age is 22-60), or elderly (your age is 60+)?
3. How long have you been using online forums?
4. Do you interact with people better on the forums as opposed to in real life?
5. Has the forums helped you in real life interactions? If yes, how?
a. Has it helped you improve your behavior?
b. Has it helped you understand other people’s viewpoints?​
6. Are there any other ways you think the forums have helped you?
7. Are there any difficulties that you have in the real world that are overcome or not there when you use the forums?
8. Do you like that you can interact with other people who have autism/Asperger on forums?
a. Would you like this as much if you were interacting with them in real life instead of online?
b. Do you prefer this online interaction to real life interactions?​
9. What other forum websites do you use?
10. Are there any rules of the forum that a new person to the forum wouldn’t know? By rules I mean courtesy things like pointing out if sarcasm is being used, or how to use acronyms, or how to use smilies (emoticons), etc,.

Is there anything else you think I should know?

I'm having trouble interpreting many of these questions... Gave up trying to answer them... They don't seem specific enough or something... Maybe it's just me

1. Where are you on the spectrum? Self-diagnosed, but my unofficial test score are shown below, in my signature
2. Are you a kid (your age is less than 13), teen (your age is 13 – 21), adult (your age is 22-60), or elderly (your age is 60+)? Adult
3. How long have you been using online forums? Since December 2013
4. Do you interact with people better on the forums as opposed to in real life? It helps to be able to be more openly honest, and to know that others can relate. Allows me more freedom in my speech.
5. Has the forums helped you in real life interactions? If yes, how? Helped to educate me about AS, and to also therefore educate others
a. Has it helped you improve your behavior? No, but my behaviour is rarely an issue really
b. Has it helped you understand other people’s viewpoints? In terms of why they consider me odd, yes
6. Are there any other ways you think the forums have helped you? It's nice to have an outlet. Despite the belief that those with AS are anti-social, I feel most of the time we simply want to find like minded people to be social with, and perhaps do not require as much exposure to social situations as most NTs; even if simply through an online forum, it's nice to have others to share ideas
7. Are there any difficulties that you have in the real world that are overcome or not there when you use the forums? Helps with stress, loneliness, and social understanding. This site is a good outlet, and resource
8. Do you like that you can interact with other people who have autism/Asperger on forums? Of course
a. Would you like this as much if you were interacting with them in real life instead of online? I would like to meet more people on the spectrum in real life, however people are different online as to in real life, so it would depend on the person I suppose. We Aspies are much more vocal in our own minds, which is probably why online interactions are successful
b. Do you prefer this online interaction to real life interactions? It doesn't phase me how I communicate, as long as the company is good, and it feels appropriate. I do like talking to people face-to-face though
9. What other forum websites do you use? I used to use wrong planet as well, but have not been for months now. This is my home now
10. Are there any rules of the forum that a new person to the forum wouldn’t know? By rules I mean courtesy things like pointing out if sarcasm is being used, or how to use acronyms, or how to use smilies (emoticons), etc,. Rules are posted, and otherwise explained if members are unsure. Everyone is helpful here to explaining things, such as jokes or sarcasm, if it is not understood.

Is there anything else you think I should know? Asking the gender of your subjects would greatly affect the outcome of these results. Men and women with AS behave quite differently, so I recommend looking more in to that. I am female by the way.

1. Where are you on the spectrum? That's a bit too subjective to answer. Let's just say ASD: Self-Diagnosed.
2. Are you a kid (your age is less than 13), teen (your age is 13 – 21), adult (your age is 22-60), or elderly (your age is 60+)? Adult
3. How long have you been using online forums? Since the 80s..before the Internet.
4. Do you interact with people better on the forums as opposed to in real life? For the most part, yes.
5. Has the forums helped you in real life interactions? If yes, how? Understanding my autism through other autistic people.
a. Has it helped you improve your behavior? Yes
b. Has it helped you understand other people’s viewpoints? Aspies-yes. Neurotypicals, not so much.
6. Are there any other ways you think the forums have helped you? -
7. Are there any difficulties that you have in the real world that are overcome or not there when you use the forums? Far less social anxiety.
8. Do you like that you can interact with other people who have autism/Asperger on forums? Very much. Better to light one candle than curse the darkness.
a. Would you like this as much if you were interacting with them in real life instead of online? Very much. Just not sure though if my sentiments would be reciprocated.
b. Do you prefer this online interaction to real life interactions? It's less stressful. However it honestly depends on the person I'm interacting with.
9. What other forum websites do you use? One other, totally unrelated to this subject.
10. Are there any rules of the forum that a new person to the forum wouldn’t know? By rules I mean courtesy things like pointing out if sarcasm is being used, or how to use acronyms, or how to use smilies (emoticons), etc,. Rules are posted. In the event people want to discuss them, they always seem to get an answer.

Last edited:
1. Where are you on the spectrum? Um, well yes, I do definitely have Aspergers, now known as Autism Spectrum Disorder.
2. Are you a kid (your age is less than 13), teen (your age is 13 – 21), adult (your age is 22-60), or elderly (your age is 60+)? I'm 29
3. How long have you been using online forums? Over a year
4. Do you interact with people better on the forums as opposed to in real life? No, but it's easier on forums since I can choose when to interact, and when not to do so.
5. Has the forums helped you in real life interactions? If yes, how?
a. Has it helped you improve your behavior? I don't think so
b. Has it helped you understand other people’s viewpoints? In a few cases, maybe
6. Are there any other ways you think the forums have helped you? Given me the chance to talk to people with similar issues, situations, and such stuff
7. Are there any difficulties that you have in the real world that are overcome or not there when you use the forums? On forums, people I barely know don't touch me without my permission. On the other hand, on a forum I can't have the joy of a loved one touching me with my permission.
8. Do you like that you can interact with other people who have autism/Asperger on forums? Oh yes. Definitely.
a. Would you like this as much if you were interacting with them in real life instead of online? Possibly I would like it more in real life, but it would depend on the person.
b. Do you prefer this online interaction to real life interactions? I do prefer interactions with some of the people on this forum to interactions with many people in real life, (since it is easier to interact with ASds than with NTs, whether online or in real life.) However, the answer to this question still remains No.
While there are hardships to real life interactions with most people, hardships that are missing on online interactions,
there are also joys in real life interactions with my real life Aspie best friend and those joys are also missing in online interactions.

9. What other forum websites do you use? None, nowadays.
10. Are there any rules of the forum that a new person to the forum wouldn’t know? By rules I mean courtesy things like pointing out if sarcasm is being used, or how to use acronyms, or how to use smilies (emoticons), etc,. Everyone's really polite and sweet to each other. I guess the only rule is to keep things that way.

Is there anything else you think I should know?
I'm female (referring to Vanilla's post)

I don't have a problem with these questions or with the student's intentions in posting them. It's quite possible that this is in order to fulfill a requirement for a class, or something. None of the questions are offensive, and i actually like to see people with curiosity about ASD. Better than the people who just think it doesn't matter, or it's some made up thing.

1. Where are you on the spectrum? AS Self Diagnosed after my son was officially diagnosed
2. Are you a kid (your age is less than 13), teen (your age is 13 – 21), adult (your age is 22-60), or elderly (your age is 60+)?
3. How long have you been using online forums? About a year
4. Do you interact with people better on the forums as opposed to in real life? Yes
5. Has the forums helped you in real life interactions? If yes, how? Yes there are so many here with a different perspective, who are tolerant and understanding. It becomes a think tank for idea's
a. Has it helped you improve your behavior? Yes
b. Has it helped you understand other people’s viewpoints? Yes
6. Are there any other ways you think the forums have helped you? Yes, the forums connect us, and show us we are not alone
7. Are there any difficulties that you have in the real world that are overcome or not there when you use the forums? The problems of the real world are still there, but a problem shared is a problem halved
8. Do you like that you can interact with other people who have autism/Asperger on forums? Yes
a. Would you like this as much if you were interacting with them in real life instead of online? Probably not. Conversation flows better with this type of interaction
b. Do you prefer this online interaction to real life interactions? Yes
9. What other forum websites do you use?
10. Are there any rules of the forum that a new person to the forum wouldn’t know? By rules I mean courtesy things like pointing out if sarcasm is being used, or how to use acronyms, or how to use smilies (emoticons), etc,.

I looked again, and I figured it out. There's a few questions that seem like they're wanting me to answer on the behalf of an NT, and I can't. There's also quite a few hypothetical questions like if I would get along with the people here in real life? How am I supposed to know that? Then there a question about forums in general, and then the next questions say the forums and I don't know half the time if these forums specifically are meant or if it's forums in general.

The questions all seem pretty straightforward to me. Maybe the OP can clarify any questions. (Moderator Voice: And try to be a little more polite, please.)

This is interesting, and I'll post my answers as soon as I get around to it (about to head off to work).

I looked again, and I figured it out. There's a few questions that seem like they're wanting me to answer on the behalf of an NT, and I can't. There's also quite a few hypothetical questions like if I would get along with the people here in real life? How am I supposed to know that? Then there a question about forums in general, and then the next questions say the forums and I don't know half the time if these forums specifically are meant or if it's forums in general.

Points taken to some degree, rollerskate. However- I might expect a board-certified psychiatrist to pose questions far more user-friendly to those of us on the spectrum. However asking that of a Neurotypical student sounds somewhat unrealistic under the circumstances.

The way I see it, your very response provides a wealth of information well beyond the questionnaire if the original poster is sharp enough to analyze it. After all, if the person posing such questions knew precisely what and how to ask, perhaps they wouldn't need to be asking in the first place.

Points taken to some degree, rollerskate. However- I might expect a board-certified psychiatrist to pose questions far more user-friendly to those of us on the spectrum. However asking that of a Neurotypical student sounds somewhat unrealistic under the circumstances.

The way I see it, your very response provides a wealth of information well beyond the questionnaire if the original poster is sharp enough to analyze it. After all, if the person posing such questions knew precisely what and how to ask, perhaps they wouldn't need to be asking in the first place.
I wasn't really trying to make a point so much as hoping for some clarification, LOL. I want to help, I just want to make sure I'm providing the correct information they're looking for

I wasn't really trying to make a point so much as hoping for some clarification, LOL. I want to help, I just want to make sure I'm providing the correct information they're looking for

Even if you provide them with what you perceive as "correct" to you, there's no guarantee that your feedback will appear "correct" to them. You are asking for details and clarification I'd likely expect from most Aspies. Just not necessarily most Neurotypicals, IMO.

That in itself should be a bonus to the person doing the research. The thought processes of both you and me. ;)

Even if you provide them with what you perceive as "correct" to you, there's no guarantee that your feedback will appear "correct" to them. You are asking for details and clarification I'd likely expect from most Aspies. Just not necessarily most Neurotypicals, IMO.

That in itself should be a bonus to the person doing the research. The thought processes of both you and me. ;)
I don't think the intention of the original poster was to get "correct" answers. I don't think it's a test. I think the OP just wanted to see what you would answer, and would think that whatever you did answer was correct.

I looked again, and I figured it out. There's a few questions that seem like they're wanting me to answer on the behalf of an NT,
Do you mean the question about "Do you interact with people better on these forums as opposed to real life?"
That question makes one think questions such as: What do you mean by better? Do you mean better by NT standards?

Or the other question "Has it helped you improve your behavior?" Which makes one think of another question: WHat do you mean by "improve?" Do you mean adopt behaviors and mannerisms that are more typical of NTs.

There's also quite a few hypothetical questions like if I would get along with the people here in real life? How am I supposed to know that?
I think the words "How am I supposed to know that?" are themselves a good answer to that question.

Do you mean the question about "Do you interact with people better on these forums as opposed to real life?"
That question makes one think questions such as: What do you mean by better? Do you mean better by NT standards?

Or the other question "Has it helped you improve your behavior?" Which makes one think of another question: WHat do you mean by "improve?" Do you mean adopt behaviors and mannerisms that are more typical of NTs.

I think the words "How am I supposed to know that?" are themselves a good answer to that question.
Yeah that behavior improvement one is a huge stumper. Is something wrong with me in the first place? And if so, is it even possible to recover from? And honestly, considering my rebel streak, the next response is that even if you think something is wrong with my behavior that I can recover from, I don't want to and am happy as is... As far as I'm concerned you're the one with the problem since you're the one seeing the need for change and not me, LOL.

The real life one has another component. Is it asking if I interact with the same people in forums better than real life, or different people in the forums vs real life? Then the science geek kicks in and I start thinking, if it means different people, that's entirely impossible to answer considering there's no control... All variables... You can't test variables against each other! They're always going to be different because they're variables!

I hope at least this discussion of how we interpret these questions helps this student even though I can't answer them, just wax intellectual on their many possible interpretations... LOL

And this is also exactly why NT people can find me so annoying both in real life and online. Just at least online I have better control over it because interaction isn't forced.

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for replying to my topic post! I'd like to also thank you all for being polite about this. I skimmed over the posts so far, so if there is anything I didn't reply to please forgive me, and point it out if you would like me to address it.
I posted this same post to another forum and got back a lot of negative replies, so I would like to speak about some things brought to my attention.
  • I am asking these questions for an assignment I am doing for my media psychology class. I could choose the topic so I wanted to see if/how forums benefit those with autism/asperger's.
  • It isn't an official research study so I don't need to ask for consent or tell you where I go to school. Also, I am an undergrad.
  • I don't mean to be offensive with any of my questions, or with this post. It was my mistake to ask questions based off of stereotypes. I'm sorry for that. This is something I will write about.
  • No one except me and my teacher will read the paper I will write for my assignment.
  • I'm sorry if my grammar and/or spelling is subpar.
  • Please answer the questions to the best of your ability. If a question is confusing please write why.
  • I don't think the intention of the original poster was to get "correct" answers. I don't think it's a test. I think the OP just wanted to see what you would answer, and would think that whatever you did answer was correct.
    Yes, this is true.
  • Points taken to some degree, rollerskate. However- I might expect a board-certified psychiatrist to pose questions far more user-friendly to those of us on the spectrum. However asking that of a Neurotypical student sounds somewhat unrealistic under the circumstances.
    I'm definitely not certified in any way and I'm sorry that I can't make the questions more user-friendly. I'd need to do a lot more studying and have a lot more experience for me to be able to do that! I have a lot more years of schooling ahead of me.

To rollerskate and nyarlathotep, I appreciate that you told me that these questions weren't specific enough for you. I was wondering if that would happen when I posted them.
To vanilla, thank you for pointing out the gender differences. I'll look into that more.

If there are any other things that people would like me to know or understand I'm open to learning more, but please reply politely. Everyone's replies are incredibly helpful and I can't wait to read more.

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for replying to my topic post! I'd like to also thank you all for being polite about this. I skimmed over the posts so far, so if there is anything I didn't reply to please forgive me, and point it out if you would like me to address it.
I posted this same post to another forum and got back a lot of negative replies, so I would like to speak about some things brought to my attention.
  • I am asking these questions for an assignment I am doing for my media psychology class. I could choose the topic so I wanted to see if/how forums benefit those with autism/asperger's.
  • It isn't an official research study so I don't need to ask for consent or tell you where I go to school. Also, I am an undergrad.
  • I don't mean to be offensive with any of my questions, or with this post. It was my mistake to ask questions based off of stereotypes. I'm sorry for that. This is something I will write about.
  • No one except me and my teacher will read the paper I will write for my assignment.
  • I'm sorry if my grammar and/or spelling is subpar.
  • Please answer the questions to the best of your ability. If a question is confusing please write why.

• Yes, this is true.

• I'm definitely not certified in any way and I'm sorry that I can't make the questions more user-friendly. I'd need to do a lot more studying and have a lot more experience for me to be able to do that! I have a lot more years of schooling ahead of me.

To rollerskate and nyarlathotep, I appreciate that you told me that these questions weren't specific enough for you. I was wondering if that would happen when I posted them.
To vanilla, thank you for pointing out the gender differences. I'll look into that more.

If there are any other things that people would like me to know or understand I'm open to learning more, but please reply politely. Everyone's replies are incredibly helpful and I can't wait to read more.
Thank you for taking an interest; I hope your research goes well :)

You're welcome to hang around this forum as a regular user as well, if you ever feel the desire to do so. :) While most of the people here are ASD, it's not a requirement and there are other members who are NT (usually with an ASD family member, but curiosity is also a legitimate reason) and I feel they sometimes increase the richness of this forum by adding interesting perspectives. The atmosphere of this online community is on the whole pretty nice and accepting, more so than in some other forums, so don't let some of our remarks put you off.

1. Where are you on the spectrum? I was diagnosed w/AS at 12.
2. Are you a kid (your age is less than 13), teen (your age is 13 – 21), adult (your age is 22-60), or elderly (your age is 60+)? I’m 15.
3. How long have you been using online forums? 3 years.
4. Do you interact with people better on the forums as opposed to in real life? I don’t know how you define “better” but IRL I rarely interact directly, unless I'm exchanging information with somebody. I rarely carry on a conversation, even online.
5. Has the forums helped you in real life interactions? If yes, how? Not really. You need to be more specific here regarding the type of interactions.

a. Has it helped you improve your behavior? I’m not aware that my behavior needs improving. It’s my perception that needs an adjustment.
b. Has it helped you understand other people’s viewpoints? This question is extremely vague and contingent upon how well the other person expresses their viewpoint. At times it has, and at others it has not.

6. Are there any other ways you think the forums have helped you? I am in the constant pursuit of knowledge and I will sometimes read a comment a person has written and it sends me off on a tangent.
7. Are there any difficulties that you have in the real world that are overcome or not there when you use the forums? Eye contact specifically.
8. Do you like that you can interact with other people who have autism/Asperger on forums? As I stated previously, I don’t interact very much at all.

a. Would you like this as much if you were interacting with them in real life instead of online? IDK, most people on these forums are older than me and seem to have other interests.
b. Do you prefer this online interaction to real life interactions? That would depend entirely upon the situation.

9. What other forum websites do you use? I sometimes weigh-in about subjects like anime and science.
10. Are there any rules of the forum that a new person to the forum wouldn’t know? By rules I mean courtesy things like pointing out if sarcasm is being used, or how to use acronyms, or how to use smilies (emoticons), etc,. It’s been my observation that even NT’s have difficulty detecting sarcasm on forums.
Is there anything else you think I should know? I’m really not qualified to answer that.

New Threads

Top Bottom