• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People with autism can hear more than most – which can be a strength and a challenge

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

A noisy environment can be hell for a person with autism. On the plus side, they are more likely to have perfect pitch than a non-autistic person

A group of friends are sitting in the garden chatting – only one person hears the ice cream van in the distance. That one person is autistic. He is also able to hear the buzzing of electricity in the walls and sometimes finds it overwhelming to be in a very noisy environment.

Our most recent work, published in Cognition, the international journal of cognitive science, suggests why that might be the case: people on the autistic spectrum can take in more sounds at any given moment compared with non-autistic people.

Over the past few years, there has been growing awareness that sensory experiences are different in autism. What is also becoming clear, however, is that different doesn’t mean worse. There are many reports of autistic people doing better than non-autistic people on visual and auditory tasks. For example, compared with non-autistic people, autistic individuals spotted more continuity errors in videos and are much more likely to have perfect pitch.

Do you have perfect pitch?

We suggest that the reason behind this is that autistic people have a higher perceptual capacity, which means that they are able to process more information at once. Having this extra processing space would be useful in some situations but problematic in others.

For example, when copying a complicated drawing you need to take in lots of information as efficiently as possible. On the other hand, if you don’t need much information to perform a task (such as when having a conversation with someone) then the extra capacity automatically processes other things in the room. This can distract you from what you are trying to do, or make you feel overwhelmed by lots of different sensory stimuli.

A sound advantage

To test out this idea, we asked a group of autistic and non-autistic adults to carry out two computer-based tasks.

The first was a listening-search task where having greater perceptual capacity would be useful and help you perform well. Participants were asked to listen to short bursts of animal sounds, played simultaneously, and figure out whether there was a dog’s bark or a lion’s roar in the group. At the same time, they also had to listen for the sound of a car, which was there in half the trials.

The autistic adults were much better than the non-autistic adults at picking out the car sound at the same time as doing the animal task correctly.

The second task involved listening to a recording of a group of people preparing for a party and focusing on the women’s conversation to be able to answer questions about it at the end. In this case, the task was easy and having extra capacity might leave you at risk of being more easily distracted by information that isn’t needed for the task.

To see if that was the case, an unexpected and unusual addition was made to the middle of the scene: a man walked in saying, “I’m a gorilla,” over and over again. As predicted, many more of the autistic participants (47 per cent) noticed the “gorilla man”, compared with 12 per cent of the non-autistic group.

So it seems that increased capacity for processing sounds in autism could be linked to both difficulties and enhanced auditory abilities that are found in the condition.

Changing perceptions

Understanding that differences in autistic attention might be due to this extra capacity, rather than an inability to filter out irrelevant information, can change the way we understand the condition and how we might intervene to help those who are struggling.

Our findings suggest that to reduce unwanted distraction, autistic people need to fill their extra capacity with information that won’t interfere with the task at hand. For example, it might be helpful to listen to music while reading. This challenges the common approach taken to simplify the classroom environment for autistic children, although care should still be taken to avoid a sensory overload.

While we must not downplay the challenges associated with autism, our study raises awareness of a more positive side to the condition. By promoting evidence of autistic strengths, we embrace diversity and undermine the traditional view that autism is only associated with deficits.

Understanding that differences in autistic attention might be due to this extra capacity, rather than an inability to filter out irrelevant information, can change the way we understand the condition and how we might intervene to help those who are struggling.

Our findings suggest that to reduce unwanted distraction, autistic people need to fill their extra capacity with information that won’t interfere with the task at hand. For example, it might be helpful to listen to music while reading. This challenges the common approach taken to simplify the classroom environment for autistic children, although care should still be taken to avoid a sensory overload.

While we must not downplay the challenges associated with autism, our study raises awareness of a more positive side to the condition. By promoting evidence of autistic strengths, we embrace diversity and undermine the traditional view that autism is only associated with deficits.

Source: People with autism can hear more than most

Yeah. My sense of hearing isn't anything too amazing. butI've impressed my driving instructor by hearing her watch ticking away on the dual carriageway but even I can get overwhelmed by my senses occasionally. I've had times when my brain just seizes up after a long day and I end up getting nauseated and I've been sick one of twice because of it.

Within your DNA there are at least two SNPs that identify "perfect pitch hearing".

Rs3057
Rs41310927

Makes a lot of sense! I've always wondered why complex tasks were easier for me than simple ones. Turns out it's just because the task takes a bigger portion of what I process! It also explains the need for stimming: it's not because we're understimulated (how can we be both over and understimulated, anyway?), it's because we need more control over wich stimuli we process.

It's also great to hear that it's not about a lack but about a surplus (that is both a blessing and a curse)

I always thought I had bad hearing, but apparently in ways it is too good? For example, even the quietest of background noises can cause the ringing in my ears to worsen - the higher the frequency, the worse it is. The sound of chalk on a board isn't high enough to bother me - the sound of a hand rubbing on cloth, cardboard or a carpet - I can't stand it. If I wear headphones, even if I turn the volume down almost as low as possible, I get not only louder ringing in my ears, but stabbing pains and aching in my ears. I wonder if it's because all the sound is trapped there between the headphone and my eardrum instead of bouncing around a whole room, also maybe the high frequency noises from the equipment itself being delivered directly to my eardrums? I can't understand people when there is background noise, but when it's quiet, I can hear far more little noises than my husband ever notices. I've had my hearing tested twice, but the results are always normal. An audiologist told me I might have abnormal auditory processing, so there's further testing for that which I have not had done.

(Not written by me)

A noisy environment can be hell for a person with autism. On the plus side, they are more likely to have perfect pitch than a non-autistic person

A group of friends are sitting in the garden chatting – only one person hears the ice cream van in the distance. That one person is autistic. He is also able to hear the buzzing of electricity in the walls and sometimes finds it overwhelming to be in a very noisy environment.

Our most recent work, published in Cognition, the international journal of cognitive science, suggests why that might be the case: people on the autistic spectrum can take in more sounds at any given moment compared with non-autistic people.

Over the past few years, there has been growing awareness that sensory experiences are different in autism. What is also becoming clear, however, is that different doesn’t mean worse. There are many reports of autistic people doing better than non-autistic people on visual and auditory tasks. For example, compared with non-autistic people, autistic individuals spotted more continuity errors in videos and are much more likely to have perfect pitch.

Do you have perfect pitch?

We suggest that the reason behind this is that autistic people have a higher perceptual capacity, which means that they are able to process more information at once. Having this extra processing space would be useful in some situations but problematic in others.

For example, when copying a complicated drawing you need to take in lots of information as efficiently as possible. On the other hand, if you don’t need much information to perform a task (such as when having a conversation with someone) then the extra capacity automatically processes other things in the room. This can distract you from what you are trying to do, or make you feel overwhelmed by lots of different sensory stimuli.

A sound advantage

To test out this idea, we asked a group of autistic and non-autistic adults to carry out two computer-based tasks.

The first was a listening-search task where having greater perceptual capacity would be useful and help you perform well. Participants were asked to listen to short bursts of animal sounds, played simultaneously, and figure out whether there was a dog’s bark or a lion’s roar in the group. At the same time, they also had to listen for the sound of a car, which was there in half the trials.

The autistic adults were much better than the non-autistic adults at picking out the car sound at the same time as doing the animal task correctly.

The second task involved listening to a recording of a group of people preparing for a party and focusing on the women’s conversation to be able to answer questions about it at the end. In this case, the task was easy and having extra capacity might leave you at risk of being more easily distracted by information that isn’t needed for the task.

To see if that was the case, an unexpected and unusual addition was made to the middle of the scene: a man walked in saying, “I’m a gorilla,” over and over again. As predicted, many more of the autistic participants (47 per cent) noticed the “gorilla man”, compared with 12 per cent of the non-autistic group.

So it seems that increased capacity for processing sounds in autism could be linked to both difficulties and enhanced auditory abilities that are found in the condition.

Changing perceptions

Source: People with autism can hear more than most
I give your post an A++! Very interesting!!

I once took a hearing test as part of a pre-hire physical for a job. I told the lady running the test that some of the higher pitches were hard to hear through the interference when she switched channels/settings. She said I was probably one of the only people to have ever heard that, or reported it.

I agree, I can hear stuff in the background perfectly and way before anyone else does, but if there's background noise I CANNOT understand people talking to me. So frustrating!

I agree, I can hear stuff in the background perfectly and way before anyone else does, but if there's background noise I CANNOT understand people talking to me. So frustrating!
This! I have to have captioning on TV and movies always or I'll never be able to pick out the script. Another reason why going to a theater is a big no for me... :(

My DNA tells me that I do not have the best genes for the pitch perfect, I'm in the middle.

A loud room is filled with noise and my hearing falls away. At symphony, I can hear and feel the movements move across the the floor in 3D by simply closing my eyes because there are no distractions and only pure sound.

I've got rabbit ears and eagle eyes myself, not sure about the perfect pitch bit as I've never been tested or tried it for myself. I can pick out sounds and details from the background at will, but I can get easily distracted if, for example, there's too much going on and I'm in the middle of a conversation.

It's a handy trait for sure, but not without its disadvantages. Thankfully I don't get overwhelmed to the point of covering my ears, but I don't have that sensory filter like most do to remove the excess.

Last edited:

Ha! I used to do this on my lunch break at work. I'd have my headphones in, listening to music, while reading a book and eating my lunch. My coworkers thought I was so weird. :D

I usually listen to music while I read or write. It just helps me to focus. I never thought there might be another reason behind it. I can hear things that no one else seems to notice but I don't think I have perfect pitch.

I cover my ears anytime a siren (fire/ambulance) approaches. My alarm clock is my smart watch sitting on my nightstand... it's very quiet, and people are generally shocked that it wakes me up. Easily.

I just started working in a very busy fine dining restaurant. While it is fine dining (white tablecloths, multiple courses, huge wine list, lot's of specialty forks and spoons), it is quite loud due to it's popularity. I'm finding it very difficult/impossible to filter out all of the background noise and actually hear the guests at my table. I have to watch their lips, and bend down to actually understand them. I think coworkers think I'm hard of hearing...

Noise........ I truly detest it... Like hearing the birds sing and water and rain. But as for noise pollution it really does my head in

New Threads

Top Bottom