• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People with Aspergers are not alike

Whilst there are 10 symptoms which most Apies can relate to having all to so e degree, if one has additional problems like OCD etc then of cause it impacts on the person as well and can make things even worse. It's why even though Adpues are basically the same they are different as well because they are still individuals and how they were supported as they grew up and the environment they lived in all has an impact n how they cope as an adult with the condition.
My son used to always think he was weird and knew he was very different from a young age, we all did, but it wasn't till he was 14 that we had him diagnosed. It was at this point that the past cell into place and everything made sense.
There is no good in trying to pidgeon hole yourself into something because you think you may have it. You need to get a professional assessment and the only way that works is if you are really honest with yourself and accept your quirkiness.
It runs in the male line of families in general so you and your brother could very well have the condition, but at differing degrees.
It's why I say even though there are 10 symptoms, within those symptoms there are varying levels of effects on the individual. That in itself is what makes all Aspies different!

Whilst there are 10 symptoms which most Apies can relate to having all to so e degree, if one has additional problems like OCD etc then of cause it impacts on the person as well and can make things even worse. It's why even though Adpues are basically the same they are different as well because they are still individuals and how they were supported as they grew up and the environment they lived in all has an impact n how they cope as an adult with the condition.
My son used to always think he was weird and knew he was very different from a young age, we all did, but it wasn't till he was 14 that we had him diagnosed. It was at this point that the past cell into place and everything made sense.
There is no good in trying to pidgeon hole yourself into something because you think you may have it. You need to get a professional assessment and the only way that works is if you are really honest with yourself and accept your quirkiness.
It runs in the male line of families in general so you and your brother could very well have the condition, but at differing degrees.
It's why I say even though there are 10 symptoms, within those symptoms there are varying levels of effects on the individual. That in itself is what makes all Aspies different!
Those 10 symptoms do not describe me. My brother is not different from me by degree, but rather by kind, i.e. he is the extreme opposite of me in many core ways. Professional assessment does no good; they do not understand me. There is no doubt that I am not anywhere on the DSM or the ICD, but Asperger is definitely the closest as far as being born wired differently causing severe social problems without cognitive impairment.
I just wonder if, until my condition is discovered by the neuropsycological community, that the autistic spectrum is tentatively able to be stretched far enough to include me by default. If not, I am all by myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom