• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People with Aspergers are not alike

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
It has been a few months ago I have been reading on Aspergers and been about one month for me being a member on this site. I learned people with Aspergers are not alike. The same thing applies to anyone, regardless the type of disability they have, it is not common for people to be alike. People can be alike to a certain degree, but at the same time and in most cases, there are differences with most people. There is no one set formula that everyone with Aspergers is like this and that and etc.

For my time being on this site, I have read most people post. Trying to understand as much about the members as possible. I also read almost every new post that is written when it arrives. There are times I can relate to what a person is saying and other times I don't. The good news is, during the times I don't, normally there is someone else may can relate to that person.

No matter how much a person may relate to someone, there are still differences with everyone and times can't relate to all things. These differences can help people learn new things.

It is pretty disgusting people in the world make assumptions about people without proper research. There can be other times even if they person did do research, the sources they read are not good. The only way you can understand someone is to interact with that person one on one.

For myself, I don't care people make the wrong assumption about me because it allows me to prove that person wrong. I'm glad to all of the members that were willing to share personal information about their life so I can understand the differences of people. I will continue to learn more things as people keep writing more on this site.

There is a saying, 'if you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism'. We are all individuals with our own unique personalities, our own temperaments, opinions, life experiences, etc. We are not all carbon copies of each other, and just because someone is an aspie does not guarantee that they will be compatible with every other aspie. But I think it may increase the chances of finding common ground, or being able to feel more freedom to be oneself. There is nothing wrong with not finding things in common with everyone, of course. Can't be expected to be everything to everybody, even with something very substantial in common.

Last edited:
I would say most Aspies get along a lot better with each other compared to NT's (not always) and i will disagree that people having Aspergers are not alike (Not completely but very similarly).

Most Aspies I've met or seen IRL have very similar mannerisms to that of myself and when i talk with them their traits such as knowing a certain subject extensively and fully,social awkwardness not giving eye contact etc.

I would say Aspies are different but to their core, quite similar in most aspects. Not everyone is the same and not everyone can relate to everything but they can relate to quite a lot about themselves. For example in first day of College i could tell who had Aspergers and who did not and there was one guy in my course who had Aspergers and i knew by the way he speaks and moves and when i asked him if he had Aspergers he was quite shocked and was quite pleased to know that i was an Aspie as well.

Our personalities were similar but very different:

I hate sports,prefer to be alone and quiet while he is highly into sports and likes talking to other members of the class. Even though our personalities were different, the way me and him discussed about them was nearly identical. The way he thought was very similar to mine and there was this connection/understanding that is simply unexplainable and just feels intuitive. But not every single Aspie can get along with each other, that is simply impossible however, most of them that i met and have seen do.

Also AS is not a disability but a diversity. No offense but lately you've been pessimistic.

Its good to have different people.

Last edited:
It has been a few months ago I have been reading on Aspergers and been about one month for me being a member on this site. I learned people with Aspergers are not alike. The same thing applies to anyone, regardless the type of disability they have, it is not common for people to be alike. People can be alike to a certain degree, but at the same time and in most cases, there are differences with most people. There is no one set formula that everyone with Aspergers is like this and that and etc.

For my time being on this site, I have read most people post. Trying to understand as much about the members as possible. I also read almost every new post that is written when it arrives. There are times I can relate to what a person is saying and other times I don't. The good news is, during the times I don't, normally there is someone else may can relate to that person.

No matter how much a person may relate to someone, there are still differences with everyone and times can't relate to all things. These differences can help people learn new things.

It is pretty disgusting people in the world make assumptions about people without proper research. There can be other times even if they person did do research, the sources they read are not good. The only way you can understand someone is to interact with that person one on one.

For myself, I don't care people make the wrong assumption about me because it allows me to prove that person wrong. I'm glad to all of the members that were willing to share personal information about their life so I can understand the differences of people. I will continue to learn more things as people keep writing more on this site.
it has to do with how your brains wired. i mean its not the only factor but i do think that it probably does effect how you see things, make desicons, react to emotions, etc. i dont even really see it as a disabilty as much as just how my brain works since there are some skills i have that others dont that i think can probably be contributed to aspergers. i think your just looking at things wrong. if your thinking of it as a disability and your thinking that we arent all on some level simmilar you really just dont understand. its not a disability and its not really a gift either, some things are harder and some things are easier and some things are just weird without really having an effect on anything.

it has to do with how your brains wired. i mean its not the only factor but i do think that it probably does effect how you see things, make desicons, react to emotions, etc. i dont even really see it as a disabilty as much as just how my brain works since there are some skills i have that others dont that i think can probably be contributed to aspergers. i think your just looking at things wrong. if your thinking of it as a disability and your thinking that we arent all on some level simmilar you really just dont understand. its not a disability and its not really a gift either, some things are harder and some things are easier and some things are just weird without really having an effect on anything.
What I wrote is not set in stone. Every case can vary.

Pretty much this. To me i am proud to have AS, however what i mean by proud is mainly being realistic of what AS is and to me there are more advantages than disadvantages and i simply accept AS for what it is and take advantage of the advantages. The disadvantage to me really would be Socializing but after training myself with techniques to help me cope with socializing by analyzing how my AS brain works and by studying Sociology.

I came up with methods to cope which have been working very greatly and Social Awkwardness is something that i still do not understand since it makes no sense about Social rules like eye contact, i see zero point in maintaining eye contact since its a myth that if someone is not looking at you in the eyes they are lying. I am blunt and i am very and i mean very and utterly serious about the truth so even if i don't look someone in the eye i can tell them the truth.

But other than that i am glad that i am who i am.

Pretty much this. To me i am proud to have AS, however what i mean by proud is mainly being realistic of what AS is and to me there are more advantages than disadvantages and i simply accept AS for what it is and take advantage of the advantages. The disadvantage to me really would be Socializing but after training myself with techniques to help me cope with socializing by analyzing how my AS brain works and by studying Sociology.

I came up with methods to cope which have been working very greatly and Social Awkwardness is something that i still do not understand since it makes no sense about Social rules like eye contact, i see zero point in maintaining eye contact since its a myth that if someone is not looking at you in the eyes they are lying. I am blunt and i am very and i mean very and utterly serious about the truth so even if i don't look someone in the eye i can tell them the truth.

But other than that i am glad that i am who i am.
for me it means im trying not to be ashamed anymore. i think ive done what you just said for pretty much my entire life. ive always done good in english for instance and i think some of its done without even trying.

I would say most Aspies get along a lot better with each other compared to NT's (not always) and i will disagree that people having Aspergers are not alike (Not completely but very similarly).

Most Aspies I've met or seen IRL have very similar mannerisms to that of myself and when i talk with them their traits such as knowing a certain subject extensively and fully,social awkwardness not giving eye contact etc.

I would say Aspies are different but to their core, quite similar in most aspects. Not everyone is the same and not everyone can relate to everything but they can relate to quite a lot about themselves. For example in first day of College i could tell who had Aspergers and who did not and there was one guy in my course who had Aspergers and i knew by the way he speaks and moves and when i asked him if he had Aspergers he was quite shocked and was quite pleased to know that i was an Aspie as well.

Our personalities were similar but very different:

The only person i know who might have AS i'm not even totally sure he does have it but i would not be surprised if he does. I only suspect it based on his behavior and a conversation i heard the supervisors having. So i dont know that i'm qualified to say anything...but even in people who i wonder have it like my coworker, he has some of my behaviors, oddities, and odd movements as i do but at the same time is just as different. I'd ask if he has it but i'm just too damned shy. Plus its a really personal topic to me. That and i doubt its any of my business, even if i'd love someone in real life to be able to relate to.

The only person i know who might have AS i'm not even totally sure he does have it but i would not be surprised if he does. I only suspect it based on his behavior and a conversation i heard the supervisors having. So i dont know that i'm qualified to say anything...but even in people who i wonder have it like my coworker, he has some of my behaviors, oddities, and odd movements as i do but at the same time is just as different. I'd ask if he has it but i'm just too damned shy. Plus its a really personal topic to me. That and i doubt its any of my business, even if i'd love someone in real life to be able to relate to.
Nah no one needs to be qualified for anything. It a open discussion and glad you decided to write something.

Autism is a spectrum, and we all have our designated point on the spectrum. I've known aspies who are a little bit lower on the spectrum than I am, but still high functioning enough to get along with. Their problems may be pitifully obvious when they come up, but at least they have HFA. In my adult education class there is one guy I get along with despite his insistence on sharing his obsession with Transformers with me. I just ignore it, although I do have something of an interest in the franchise.

Autism is a spectrum, and we all have our designated point on the spectrum. I've known aspies who are a little bit lower on the spectrum than I am, but still high functioning enough to get along with. Their problems may be pitifully obvious when they come up, but at least they have HFA. In my adult education class there is one guy I get along with despite his insistence on sharing his obsession with Transformers with me. I just ignore it, although I do have something of an interest in the franchise.
isn't high functioning autism like, average or higher? does adult education mean colledge or are you still in middle school or something?

It is correct that not all Aspies are the same because the condition is a syndrome made up of varying aspects at varying levels. But Aspies do share certain traits. It's why some manage to work in so e professions, whilst others are flat out holding down any sort of job. Depending on what level you are on the spectrum is why there are differences, even when you are considered high functioning. Basic traits seem to be there for MOST Aspies!

I'm a bit different than most Aspies because I have a higher need for human interaction and I have a wide range of interests instead of a few narrow ones.

I will admit that when I first went on a proper research binge, it looked like I had found a clan of Ashe's running around! But it's no different than when I used to keep chickens as pets. Sure, at first they all look the same and sound the same, but once you sort out what's the common stuff and what's the individuality, they can be vastly different and easily recognizable. I had one bantam that would crawl underneath a larger hen, so the poor bird was sitting on her chicks, the bantam, and the bantam's chicks. Definitely unique to that hen!

For me, "Aspie" is another way to better some aspects of myself through the common ground I share with other people of a similar situation. It's nice to know why I have sensory issues with women's tight clothing, harsh cleaning chemicals, and the cold, why I have trouble with people, and why I can't sit still. And it's nice to know that my propensity to watch and take mental note of other people isn't because I'm a stalker, it's completely normal for me to people watch to the extent that I do. Well, I guess it is stalking to some degree, but it's not the kind on the news or America's Most Wanted. Because for some of that stuff, you really want to know what's going on so you don't over think yourself into having something really serious. It's been suggested I'm allergic to clorox, when in reality, it just stinks more to me than a normal person.

Someone posted this on another thread, but I can't find it.
So, I'll just repost it here as it is how I see it

Dr. Stephen M. Shore says, “When you meet one person with AS—you’ve met one person with AS.”

Bit like a bikers club, all ride bikes, wear leathers etc etc but each is uniquely different in many other ways.

Us Aspies do definitely share something in common, (that is why we can apply one single name to ourselves as a group) while still retaining individuality.

I have a problem here which has never been resolved, as much as I have posted and read about it. From the evidence so far, I probably have a condition which is so far unknown to psychology. This is horrible to me. Superficially I am similar to Asperger in that I have severe social problems and am very restricted. But the details are all wrong. I very much want to know that I am an Aspie, because otherwise I would be profoundly lonely. There still may be a chance I am, I'm not completely sure, but the truth is what it is; wishing does not make it so.
I know that when a psychiatrist or therapist thinks I am an Aspie, their course of treatment is very far off of what would help me, they come to very wrong conclusions about me. But before I accept that I am alone and hopelessly misunderstood, I keep asking what "Asperger" means at its core, hoping that I may fit in.
On this thread, people are saying that, as a person, aspies differ as much as anybody, but are the same as far as being aspie is concerned. All evidence points to me not being the same as far as aspie is concerned, but it is definitely true that aspie is closer to me than any other category known in psychology.
My brother seems much more aspie than me, and that suggests that whatever I am is related to aspie. My condition is much more a separation from the physical environment; my social problems are secondary to that. My brother, on the other hand, is very well connected to the environment, and his social problems are primary, much more "aspie-like".
I am wondering if aspie can be generalized enough to include me or not. I want to claim I am aspie (or something known), but I do not want to lie.

I have a problem here which has never been resolved, as much as I have posted and read about it. From the evidence so far, I probably have a condition which is so far unknown to psychology. This is horrible to me. Superficially I am similar to Asperger in that I have severe social problems and am very restricted. But the details are all wrong. I very much want to know that I am an Aspie, because otherwise I would be profoundly lonely. There still may be a chance I am, I'm not completely sure, but the truth is what it is; wishing does not make it so.
I know that when a psychiatrist or therapist thinks I am an Aspie, their course of treatment is very far off of what would help me, they come to very wrong conclusions about me. But before I accept that I am alone and hopelessly misunderstood, I keep asking what "Asperger" means at its core, hoping that I may fit in.
On this thread, people are saying that, as a person, aspies differ as much as anybody, but are the same as far as being aspie is concerned. All evidence points to me not being the same as far as aspie is concerned, but it is definitely true that aspie is closer to me than any other category known in psychology.
My brother seems much more aspie than me, and that suggests that whatever I am is related to aspie. My condition is much more a separation from the physical environment; my social problems are secondary to that. My brother, on the other hand, is very well connected to the environment, and his social problems are primary, much more "aspie-like".
I am wondering if aspie can be generalized enough to include me or not. I want to claim I am aspie (or something known), but I do not want to lie.
I guess there labels for people be in a category. A person haves ADHD, Aspergers, OCD, this and that and etc. People who are not officially diagnosed think they might fit in a category of something. Regardless what a category a person fits in, I feel is learning how to manage your life once you learn what category/categories you fit in. I know this is not easy for many people. It all takes time.

But then I see there might be the other side of the coin wanting to fit into a category. I am having trouble to think how to comment on this. I do know everyone needs are different. But whatever your are trying to work out, I hope you are able to.

New Threads

Top Bottom