• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

theminx

Your Friendly Neighborhood Minx. Grr! Meow.
Do you think in patterns? Map systems? Use systematization to think and remember? Recognize patterns? Sometimes fear patterns?

It was my sophomore year in college. I was having an existential crisis - which isn't all that unique of a thing...

...I do get that.

I'm visiting with some of his friends. I don't remember specifically what we were discussing, but all of the sudden...everything seemed to click into place...

...but not in a good way.

My mind began forming patterns: variables in a fluctuating equation, the component parts of a mobile, yet global sized puzzle. I saw everything - all tangled up in society, its systems, the world and its environs, and denizens of people - as this complicated, interwoven pattern. I could see how everything was intertwined and overlapping. And ultimately...trapped.

I ran into the bathroom...

...as wave after wave of anxiety hit me.

I started mumbling to myself:

You're born...

...you grow...

....go to school...

...get a job...

...then a career...

...get married...

...have kids...

....get old

...and then you die...

There's nothing else.

There's only The Pattern. The overarching, overriding Pattern no one can escape!

That's all there is.

Everyone is trapped within the pattern...!

There's no escape.

Nothing else.

No hope...

No!

I have to escape the pattern. I have to...untangle myself. I can't be trapped. I won't be trapped. There has to be...

...another way, something more...but only if I'm able to extract myself...

So...

Yeah, it was like that.

Like I was waking up from the Matrix, but not quite so dramatic.

It isnt always like that. But I've always thought like this. I've always mapped things out to learn things...

....which sometimes means I learn things more slowly...if it's my first introduction.

Sometimes much more quickly, if I'm able to overlay a similar pattern and make associations.

Sometimes what I see though...freaks me out.

Sometimes it makes me obsessed, and I need to follow the path...no matter where it might lead me, which is often circuitous and seemingly random. But it never really is random. There's always a purpose, which isnt always immediately clear to me.

Is it like this for anyone else?

Do you think in patterns? Map systems? Use systematization to think and remember? Recognize patterns? Sometimes fear patterns?

In a nutshell? Totally. It's my strong point. And sometimes my weak point too.

Absolutely.
Much of my art is based on patterns.
All types of data, current weather conditions, scenes from movies broken down and analyzed, etc., etc.
I find them [patterns] equally fascinating, exhausting, confusing, liberating.

All day every day.

But I don't consider that strange. When I consider what has to occur in the spinup of an adult mind, and what the dependency chain must look like (b requires a, ...) and various aspects of that process that we can see in child development ...

it seems obvious to me that a major and central portion of any human mind is an amazing pattern-recognition engine.

The only unavoidable thing in the pattern you mentioned is death. Certainly, that is the expected life trajectory for many people in Western society, but there are alternative. Some of those alternatives may not be so desirable, but others might be to your liking.

For example; you could decide tomorrow that you intend to live the rest of your life as a nomad. You could just pack a bag and start wandering the globe, unfettered by material possessions or attachments. You might not want to do this, but it is an opiton.

As a less extreme example you could always live as a spinster (how archaic that term seems now) and never get married or have kids.

It is also worth noting that a lot can happen in between the milestones you listed, so no, that isn't all there is. Life is so much more.

New Threads

Top Bottom