• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Party Tonight: Anxious as hell

Heart of Stone

The Daydreamer
So, it's as the title says: I'm going to a party tonight. It's my first one, and I'm incredibly nervous. I'm somewhat acquainted with everyone attending, but it's still anxiety-provoking. I'm hoping my anti-anxiety medication will be adequate enough. If anyone has any advice on how to be less socially awkward, it would be much appreciated.

I'm sorry, I know you've asked for advice on how to be less socially awkward. I am useless at parties, try to avoid them at all costs. Just wanted to wish you luck was all. :)

Just don't be afraid to step away. These days nobody will think it's weird if you step away with your phone or something. Go to the bathroom and just sit for a min if you need to. I often will just kind of stand next to people and not speak unless directly spoken too and I've never had anyone react badly to that

If people are drinking, they notice social awkwardness less - they notice everything about everyone else a lot less. And many people themselves feel awkward at parties, so they drink to get over it. If you go early enough, then it may be quieter, so better for you - but if you go later, people may be drunk and not care as much about you. I hate parties.

So, it's as the title says: I'm going to a party tonight. It's my first one, and I'm incredibly nervous. I'm somewhat acquainted with everyone attending, but it's still anxiety-provoking. I'm hoping my anti-anxiety medication will be adequate enough. If anyone has any advice on how to be less socially awkward, it would be much appreciated.

It is too late now for any advice to be of help for tonight's party. You can make plans for future parties.

If your party experience tonight was not great, do not give up. If you plan a little and work at it, you can learn to improve your social skills. I think body language and microexpressions may be the biggest problem areas in social skills for Aspies and Auties.

I have greatly improved my social skills through studying body language and microexpressions. I put up a few blog posts on this site with helpful links about how to learn about body language and microexpressions. The name of my blog here is, "Musings".

I do not want to give you unrealistic expectations about how much you can improve your social skills through study of body language and microexpressions. This study will not turn you into an NT. You will have to work a lot harder than an NT to use social skills. It is still better than having no clue about social skills.

New Threads

Top Bottom