• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Painfully shy

Catlover614

Love Conquers
I wonder how to break free from shyness. I have wanted to ask a guy out on a date, but my timidity just won't allow it. I've wanted to ask a friend out for lunch or just coffee and a chat, but I always end up stopping myself because the sting of rejection is too much to bear. So I end up sitting on my couch and reading forums and I really enjoy this community as it has allowed me to express my thoughts and opinions freely. But, at the same time, I feel like I have missed out on fun. I love to dance, but have never been out dancing in public...too shy. Are any of you shy or do you possess boldness?

Taking a step forward towards someone I don't know well has always been the bane of my existence. But then isn't that a tenet of autism in general ?

I realize there are a few extroverted Aspies here and there, but I'm just not one of them and never will be.

I have to push myself to be social. It never changes and takes a lot of effort that for others may be easy. Or as Gwen Stefani sang, "It's My Life!" For better or worse...o_O

Taking a step forward towards someone I don't know well has always been the bane of my existence. But then isn't that a tenet of autism in general ?

I realize there are a few extroverted Aspies here and there, but I'm just not one of them and never will be.

I have to push myself to be social. It never changes and takes a lot of effort that for others may be easy. Or as Gwen Stefani sang, "It's My Life!" For better or worse...o_O
I'm an introvert and I like it that way, for the most part. But, I also don't want to die a lonely old woman who never experienced being in love. And, honestly, that's the part of autism I DON'T LIKE. As Pink Floyd sings, "I have become comfortably numb"....I am numb to emotional pain and sorrow and I'm numb to happiness, joy, excitement within my inner woman. But I feel other people's sorrow and joy, just not within my own soul. I don't know why I'm like this and I don't want to blame my autism. The smile I push myself to smile is a mask. I don't smile much or laugh much, but I cry alot.

I am a fairly shy person as well. I have a difficult time connecting with people because I don't alway know what to say. I have an odd way of structuring my sentences, my sentences sometimes be hard for others to interrupt. I also speak rather slowly, I don't use contractions much and I have a deep sub woofer like voice.

I wonder how to break free from shyness. I have wanted to ask a guy out on a date, but my timidity just won't allow it. I've wanted to ask a friend out for lunch or just coffee and a chat, but I always end up stopping myself because the sting of rejection is too much to bear. So I end up sitting on my couch and reading forums and I really enjoy this community as it has allowed me to express my thoughts and opinions freely. But, at the same time, I feel like I have missed out on fun. I love to dance, but have never been out dancing in public...too shy. Are any of you shy or do you possess boldness?

I am a fairly shy person as well. I have a difficult time connecting with people because I don't alway know what to say. I have an odd way of structuring my sentences, my sentences sometimes be hard for others to interrupt. I also speak rather slowly, I don't use contractions much and I have a deep sub woofer like voice.
Me too, I speak slowly like I'm scared of how the other person is going to respond. And I go into a panic if my words don't come out right, then the other person wont understand me. I over explain things when I don't have to. I perceive myself as a real snooze fest. I'm a boring person and who wants to be with a boring person?

I do tend to over explain things, I don't thinks that's a bad thing, but if you're not engaging enough whoever your speaking to will loose interest.

Perphaps you could find an autism adult support group?

Me too, I speak slowly like I'm scared of how the other person is going to respond. And I go into a panic if my words don't come out right, then the other person wont understand me. I over explain things when I don't have to. I perceive myself as a real snooze fest. I'm a boring person and who wants to be with a boring person?

Although it's been a while, I can relate. I used to be so quiet that people would tell me off for whispering. I would never initiate a social interaction, and would definitely never be the one to ask anyone out (friend or otherwise). I can also relate to the constant state of numbness and the isolation, which can make facing each day seem all too daunting. Life seems to loose all meaning, and you can't possibly imagine it ever getting any better. I could only experience two states of emotion back then. I was either numb to everything (emotions, stimuli, I didn't enjoy anything I used to anymore), or I was overwhelmingly depressive. To be honest, I didn't think I'd ever find a way out of that scenario, and my worst fear was that I would continue to live out my whole life the same way.

This was how I used to feel on a regular basis, but I've since learned to overcome this period of my life. How I did it was I had finally reached a point where I simply didn't want to feel like that way anymore. It was a decision that changed everything. I didn't have much motivational drive to speak of, but somehow I forced myself to find an alternative. A little bit everyday, I would do things that worked to reverse my situation. This included trying things I would normally never try, exposing myself to positive stimuli (even if it didn't work right away, it eventually did), deciding who I wanted to be, then working towards it. A little bit at a time, everyday. The one thought that helped me through it all was the realization that failure was surely better than the endlessly depressive rut I was stuck in.

I don't know whether sharing that helps, but hopefully it does. If you were to ask me if it was worth all the trouble I went through, I would tell you that I'd do it all again if I had to. You could say that I now feel like a whole different person. The memory of those days feels more like a distant ghost of a previous life. The fact that I can say that at all still feels surreal, given that I used to think I could never find a way out of that phase. These days, I still like my alone time, but have learned how to talk to those around me (even if it's still a bit awkward). I've learned to project my voice louder, to talk on the phone (which I hate, but can manage well now), to initiate social interactions (still awkward, but I'm still getting by), and I've learned how to feel happy again, and I can again enjoy the things I had once forgotten how to.

I don't think it was accurate to call what I had shyness, but rather anxieties. Fear that I would be ridiculed or judged, or that something bad would happen, if I were to face my fears. If it interests you, I've posted a link to a video regarding a woman who was able to get help overcoming her anxieties with the help of a professional. Of course, the fear is not socially related, but the theory should work in the same way.

I'm also shy around people I don't know why. I feel lonely but I won't text or call any current friends and I won't go out and make new friends. I spent alot time thinking about this but I never change anything.

Although it's been a while, I can relate. I used to be so quiet that people would tell me off for whispering. I would never initiate a social interaction, and would definitely never be the one to ask anyone out (friend or otherwise). I can also relate to the constant state of numbness and the isolation, which can make facing each day seem all too daunting. Life seems to loose all meaning, and you can't possibly imagine it ever getting any better. I could only experience two states of emotion back then. I was either numb to everything (emotions, stimuli, I didn't enjoy anything I used to anymore), or I was overwhelmingly depressive. To be honest, I didn't think I'd ever find a way out of that scenario, and my worst fear was that I would continue to live out my whole life the same way.

This was how I used to feel on a regular basis, but I've since learned to overcome this period of my life. How I did it was I had finally reached a point where I simply didn't want to feel like that way anymore. It was a decision that changed everything. I didn't have much motivational drive to speak of, but somehow I forced myself to find an alternative. A little bit everyday, I would do things that worked to reverse my situation. This included trying things I would normally never try, exposing myself to positive stimuli (even if it didn't work right away, it eventually did), deciding who I wanted to be, then working towards it. A little bit at a time, everyday. The one thought that helped me through it all was the realization that failure was surely better than the endlessly depressive rut I was stuck in.

I don't know whether sharing that helps, but hopefully it does. If you were to ask me if it was worth all the trouble I went through, I would tell you that I'd do it all again if I had to. You could say that I now feel like a whole different person. The memory of those days feels more like a distant ghost of a previous life. The fact that I can say that at all still feels surreal, given that I used to think I could never find a way out of that phase. These days, I still like my alone time, but have learned how to talk to those around me (even if it's still a bit awkward). I've learned to project my voice louder, to talk on the phone (which I hate, but can manage well now), to initiate social interactions (still awkward, but I'm still getting by), and I've learned how to feel happy again, and I can again enjoy the things I had once forgotten how to.

I don't think it was accurate to call what I had shyness, but rather anxieties. Fear that I would be ridiculed or judged, or that something bad would happen, if I were to face my fears. If it interests you, I've posted a link to a video regarding a woman who was able to get help overcoming her anxieties with the help of a professional. Of course, the fear is not socially related, but the theory should work in the same way.

I appreciate you sharing that. Thank you, it does help.

You sound just like me! The one time I took courage and asked for help, typically it was no go, but was commended for trying and the person said that next time they would make sure to say yes.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that if people SEE you need help, it is still expected to ask instead of them offering!

It does come down to rejection and in honesty, I have been rejected so many times that I just cannot put myself through it again.

I love dancing too.

over explain things when I don't have to

I am so guilty of this and sadly I can read facial expressions and it is the bane of my life ( I subconsciously learned it), so I can see the look of distaste on their face and it makes me very reluctant to speak again.

Are you good at dancing ?I mean as far as knowing how to dance ? There must be a class you could take and you will always find places where people like to dance. Being a capable dancer is half the battle. I never felt comfortable dancing so always felt so awkward when I went out to a bar .

Are you good at dancing ?I mean as far as knowing how to dance ? There must be a class you could take and you will always find places where people like to dance. Being a capable dancer is half the battle. I never felt comfortable dancing so always felt so awkward when I went out to a bar .
I am good at dancing. I took tap, ballet, and jazz as a little girl, but now I like country two-stepping and also pop freestyle. Thank you for your reply.

I can be painfully shy in front of certain people. It's impossible to explain why but some people just intimidate the hell out of me and I get very "reserved" in front of these types.

New Threads

Top Bottom