• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Overwhelmed by obsession with learning

nope

Some may argue that it's good to always want to learn, but I think my interest goes beyond what's healthy or conducive to productivity. In the past I just borrowed books from the library, and if I couldn't read everything I borrowed by the due date I could either extend the due date, return and borrow again, or sometimes just let it go altogether. Recently, though, I discovered lynda.com through a library program, was hooked, and started watching videos whenever I have free time (I haven't used my Netflix since, and I'm paying a monthly fee for that one). And after a couple weeks, that wasn't enough for me, so I started looking for similar websites and signing up for these free online classes, and before I know it I have 10 classes I'm enrolled in that I can't possibly keep up with while maintaining a full-time job I want to advance in.

How do I make myself stop??

Why stop? Learning is awesome! If the classes get to be too much.... prioritize. Maybe I'm the wrong person to help.... reading and learning are my passions!

nope
Maybe you will learn how.

Seriously.

Maybe you will come across information/techniques
that can help you. There is some reason why you
find it necessary to overextend yourself.

Do these ideas feel familiar?
I should be thoroughly competent, intelligent, and achieving in all possible respects. I must have control over things. It would be horrible if things
didn't work out the way I want them to go....I must do the right thing,
always.....

I had the same problem, so I developed a sort of syllabus to keep every thing in order, and a time table to prevent my self from becoming over whelmed.

I think what you have to get to appreciate is to learn and save money lol

An obsession for learning is a wonderful gift. I find that when I am obsessed with something, I need to find out all the information on that.

I am obsessed with reading my bible every day and it has to be before midnight, otherwise I would sense that I had missed a day out.

I went insane on learning because they had me in the stupid class based on math. When they did IQ and discovered I was not stupid, I found lists of Great Books and plowed through. In about 25 years, God only knows how many books I read, all primary source material (some in language).

I went on the You Tube and made vids as I read to keep them in my mind, to remember what I had read. Over the years I have opened and closed them. They were like my own personal diaries.

When they were open I about 100 subscribers! That made me very happy to think I encouraged people to read these books :)

I went insane on learning because they had me in the stupid class based on math. When they did IQ and discovered I was not stupid, I found lists of Great Books and plowed through. In about 25 years, God only knows how many books I read, all primary source material (some in language).

I went on the You Tube and made vids as I read to keep them in my mind, to remember what I had read. Over the years I have opened and closed them. They were like my own personal diaries.

When they were open I about 100 subscribers! That made me very happy to think I encouraged people to read these books :)
My math scores were also low and I was sent to special ed, not just for math but all subjects. I was bored out of my mind so I skipped a lot of school and stayed home and read, mostly classic Literature, and history. eventually I received my high school equivalency, I just could not go back to school to be treated like an idiot by the teachers.

New Threads

Top Bottom