• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Opera

I don't know a lot about opera, but I'd go to one if I had a chance.

I think a Peking/Beijing Opera would be really interesting to go to. That's something I mainly just know about from the Tsui Hark movie Peking Opera Blues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm lucky I'd watched Peking, Fujian, Shaanxi, Cantonese and even Shanghainese operas in my short life. I slept through them, but I feel 'wowed'.

I also got the chance to watch a Western-style opera. Forgot where I watched it, or the plot. Oh, I quite enjoyed it, too.

I am quite fond of opera and musicals, but because I don't go out to do things much, I see them rarely. I often sing songs from them to myself, though.

I like opera. The only opera I've actually seen in a theater is "Tosca." It is a tragic love story and is sung in Italian. I've seen other operas mostly on television.

Ooh, good to see this thread revived! I love opera! But I rarely get out to see it, as tickets are rather expensive and my work schedule is a bit unpredictable.

I love Tosca. I saw a production--and I cannot remember where--but the lead soprano sang "Vissi d'Arte" lying down. Impressive.

I like opera too but rarely go. I have also seen Tosca and enjoyed it.

When my son sang in the Minnesota Boy Choir he got the chance to sing as one of the urchins in La Boheme at Minnesota's Orchestra Hall. That was one hell of an experience for an eleven year old boy. The event was sold out and he was awestruck as he looked out at the packed house.

I wasn't exposed to opera until about a year ago, but I love it. On a whim, I took an opera workshop at my school, and I've been singing in Italian ever since!

I have been watching the first three parts to Wagner's Ring Cycle on DVD (over the past three months), its heavy going but the subtitles help and the effects and singing are incredible, the best opera or operetta I have seen (also on DVD) was Die Fledermaus by J. Strauss Jnr. which was light and humorous, I have to hire the DVD from the local library its too expensive to buy from the classical music shop up in Auckland city (most opera DVDs are very pricey).

A few days ago, I listened to Henry Purcell's Dido and Aeneas, which I've had on CD for a while but had never gotten around to listening to (I think it was a $1 clearance CD I found at a book/music/video store). I enjoyed it, I think it would be a good choice for someone looking for a good "entry-level" opera since it's in English (yes, there are quite a few in English) and only about an hour long (I believe that's partially because some of Purcell's original score is lost).

"Dido's Lament," which is the big song at the end of the opera, is pretty famous and has been covered by several people. I found this version rather haunting:

There's a movie theater here that shows live broadcasts of operas from the Met in New York City, I've been interested in going to one of them, but I've been kind of intimidated by the length of some of them (about 5-6 hours in some cases) and because the ticket prices are a little ridiculous (about $20).

Was this an introduction to opera for anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:

New Threads

Top Bottom