• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Only a Third of Autistic Teens Get Driver’s License by 21

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Just one in three New Jersey teens on the autism spectrum receive a driver’s license, according to a study published in the journal Autism.

April is Autism Acceptance Month, and access to a car can increase acceptance, mobility, and independence for autistic teens. The study points to the importance of supporting parents in the decision of whether a driver’s license is appropriate for their children.

Driver’s License Access Among Autistic Teens
The study looked at more than 52,000 electronic health records and driver’s license data for children born between 1987 and 1995. By age 21, 34% of autistic teens had received an intermediate driver’s license. This license allows drivers to drive independently during the day, but restricts passengers to only one non-family member at a time.

Researchers found almost 90% of autistic teens who received a learner’s permit received an intermediate driver’s license within two years. Eighty-two percent received their license within a year of acquiring their learner’s permit, compared to 94% of teens without autism.

Access to a driver’s license can affect a teen’s access to other resources. Teens with driver’s licenses can attend social functions, become independently involved in their communities, and access educational opportunities without relying on parents or other drivers.

Because most autistic teens with learner’s permits go on to get their driver’s licenses, the study’s authors theorize that parents are already in support of their teens driving before the learning process begins. This parental support may help even more autistic teens become drivers. The study’s authors recommend parents discuss driver’s licenses with their child’s doctor.

Can Teens with Autism Drive Safely?
A 2012 study found autistic teens may be safer drivers than their peers. Thirty-one percent of teens without autism had been ticketed, and 22% had been involved in a crash. The rate of both citations and crashes among autistic teens was 12%.

The study also found most autistic teens’ individualized education plans did not include driving goals, even though most autistic teens in the study were drivers or planning to become drivers. This suggests autistic teens may not receive the support they need to reach their driving goals.

Source: Only a Third of Autistic Teens Get Driver’s License by 21

It's true, you know. I have my beginner's, and I am SUPER safe and aware of everyone and everything on the road. I will get my intermediate sometime this summer, I've been putting it off way too long. At 22, I should have got off my weed-smoking ass at 16-17 and got it then. Although, I should monitor my drinking during the day, and abstain from it totally if I'm going to drive. I don't care if I have only one sip of beer, I'm not going to be a drinking and driving death statistic.

New Threads

Top Bottom