• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

On the telephone?

Its funny I don't mind being a phone counselor but I find that is predicable and easier when i was doing that then doing in my own life. I prefer to use the internet or email if at all possible to set up things or pay for things. I am still dreading trying to do my loan readjustment payment thing over the phone because I can't figure out how to do it online. I am afraid of messing it up worse than talking on the phone. I don't mind talking on the phone as long as I know the person. So I don't feel weird about pauses or my needs in the conversations.

I prefer texting 100 x times than talking. But when I do talk, I can't stay in the same place, I take the phone and I start walking around the house non-stop.

I can't stand talking to strangers on the phone. Or answering machines, those make me feel foolish.
When I am on with someone I know well, it is better. The silences are less awkward.
I guess it's sort of like stage fright when it's a stranger.

I prefer texting 100 x times than talking. But when I do talk, I can't stay in the same place, I take the phone and I start walking around the house non-stop.

I do that too... the few times I phoned with girlfriends and all, and we still had a phone in the house (and not everyone was on a cell), I used to take the phone and walk around places I had my privacy (kitchen, garden). NOt just for privacy reasons, but I walked around all those places just to be "busy"... don't know what it actually is/was.

I don't mind texting although I often find it makes me unbelievably anxious, I have to put my phone on silent because I get startled at the sound of receiving a call or text, it's so unexpected (and even if it is expected it still manages to catch me off guard, the fact the person calling or texting could say anything or change anything is scary).

This morning I was so upset, my Dad wants me to get a job over the summer to earn some money and so he's tried to force me to sit down and ring up local places to see if there's any jobs. I've tried but I can't bring myself to pick up the phone and call, I've even wrote a little script up so I know roughly what to say but its so difficult and i'm so angry at myself as like my Dad said to me 'it's a simple thing to do Jess, if you can't even do this there's no chance you'll be able to go to university' I know he's right but I just can't do it! I kinda resent him for making me realize what a complete failure I am. Sigh, oh well.

One thing that irks me about using the phone is having to make a phone call where I have to listen to a recording and press buttons to indicate my choice, where after I choose most often it goes to the same set of operators anyway. I hate it when robots don't understand what I'm saying. I especially hate dialing 411 because the robot repeats something ridiculous back to me and in the end after it has failed 3 times I end up with a real person, but why couldn't I just get a real person in the beginning? Ugh.

Ah!!! I just spent about two hours on the phone calling my company's vendors to change information. Man do I dislike calling strange people and asking them to do things for me! I've been procrastinating this for about a week though and it's good to get a large portion of it done. Hopefully I can get the rest done tomorrow (too burnt out to finish today).

I don't mind texting although I often find it makes me unbelievably anxious, I have to put my phone on silent because I get startled at the sound of receiving a call or text, it's so unexpected (and even if it is expected it still manages to catch me off guard, the fact the person calling or texting could say anything or change anything is scary).

This morning I was so upset, my Dad wants me to get a job over the summer to earn some money and so he's tried to force me to sit down and ring up local places to see if there's any jobs. I've tried but I can't bring myself to pick up the phone and call, I've even wrote a little script up so I know roughly what to say but its so difficult and i'm so angry at myself as like my Dad said to me 'it's a simple thing to do Jess, if you can't even do this there's no chance you'll be able to go to university' I know he's right but I just can't do it! I kinda resent him for making me realize what a complete failure I am. Sigh, oh well.

First of all you are not a failure that doesn't mean you can't do well in university it just means that you have to have a work around that best works for you. Maybe its cold emailing places. A lot of places are going more web sauvey so maybe try doing that and say see Dad I didn't do it your way but look what I can do. Its just a different way to get to the same place.

I have issues with things too as I am also visually impaired and I just have to find work arounds for a lot of things. I function just fine in my opinion I do things but they are not the same way my sighted my and sister do them because I can't. Hugs try a different route.:)

New Threads

Top Bottom