• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Old newbie

Sportster

Aged to Perfection
V.I.P Member
I just took another online quiz. Anything over 32 indicates ?possible? Asperger?s. I scored a 47. I know I have a problem. I just wish I could put a sign on that says, ?Pardon me, but I have Asperger?s, please be patient.? I?m presently on the brink of losing my job because of the characteristics. A few coworkers have a burning dislike of me, so they?ve created some problems. It?s not ?all in my head,? as I have concrete proof. Combined with their false accusations are my director?s complaints that I ?have a bad attitude? and ?am difficult.? When I ask him to explain and clarify, he thinks I?m being more difficult. I honestly want to know what it is I?m doing wrong, because I haven?t a clue. I am a good employee. In fact, I?m one of the few that have the knowledge I do, so most come to me for help. Those that I serve like me, I have gotten good reviews on my evaluation; I never miss work, etc., etc. Still, my director pointblank said, ?If I get one more complaint from any employee or [supervisor] you?re finished. You will be fired.? It has gotten so bad that I carry a tape recorder in my pocket and have started recording every interaction.

I?ve been trying to find a place where I live to get an ?official diagnosis,? but have not had any luck. I have no doubt I have it, but I?d like to know for sure. In addition, it might be helpful if they do fire me. I could play the ADA card; ?Hey, I was fired for having Asperger?s.?

Hi, welcome to AC

I am 33 but I just find out. I think there are gonna be more and more people who are older finding out they are aspie. We didn't have a chance to get diagnosed when we were little because no one knew what it was, and we didn't seem severe enough to be autistic.

Hi, old newbie, I'm a late blooming Aspie also. I always knew I had problems but until recently I had no idea that they fit any kind of disorder. When we were young (I'm fifty two also), you never heard about Asperger Syndrome. I spent a lot of years coping by living within my comfort zone, but these last few years I've had some changes in my life that pushed my outside of it. I'm self-diagnosed also, but I have researched it, taken some online tests and played Devil's Advocate (because it's easy to read a list of traits and convince yourself you have something). In addition, I've been going to a support group at a local Asperger's association, and I seem to fit in.

I think I'll copy and paste most of the above in my own intro, since I haven't posted one yet.

Welcome Sportster. I was diagnosed at 38 a few years ago and I think you will find plenty others like us. For the majority it seems to be a big help but some of us, like me, took a little while to come to terms with team diagnosis and what it meant for me. I hope that you enjoy being here. I think it's the best sites of its kind - certainly that I have found. Here there are lots of Aspies and Auties who are happy to share and support each other.

I’ve never been a fan of social sites like Facebook, etc., but thus far, I have really enjoyed this one. I was telling one of the guys I work with that knows, “I have finally found my people.”

I feel that same way too. The sites I tried on facebook seemed to be dominated by parents of autistic children. Here there are many people like me who I can learn from and also get to know by reading their posts.

Hey Sportster! We've already met in another thread, but I also learned that I am an Aspie late in life, at 54. There are a few of us here. It's true that as children we were blamed for our behavior. I'm still adjusting to my new reality 11 months after my diagnosis. Anyway, welcome!

By the way, but I love your avatar. It reminds me of the beaver on The Chronicles of Narnia.

@Sporster. Thanks. I actually choose it because 'Mr Beaver' is my wife's nickname for me because I have to stop and read all information boards (now referred to by her and our daughter as beaver boards) when we're out and about. Any information and I just want to read it and find out more. I also love learning from documentaries and the web etc........

Ok, I understand, I think. If you enjoy reading information boards and learning about things, then you’d enjoy the historic walk in Decatur. It takes you on a walking tour of the city chronicling the history of the city during the Civil War. At certain points, they have a board with some pictures and “the story” about what took place at that point.

I think you've understood very well. I would love the walk you describe. I love being outside, getting some exercise, exploring and learning. Little would suite me more.
Talking about avatars - yours is amazing. Where did you find it and why did you choose it?

New Threads

Top Bottom