• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Official test for aspergers

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Today, I completed some tests for aspergers.

The first was the same as online and got the same result as I have here.

The second series of tests were choosing the right shapes in the blank space.

I did very well and assumed they were logical tests, but got confused with the numbers ones.

She said that she noticed a difficulty with concentration.

Results are being passed on to the official board of autism and will find out next week or so, if I have aspergers.

I admit that it makes me feel stressed.

Try not to fret about it Suzanne. What will be will be. I know that you want the diagnosis to be clear for your own peace of mind, and I think we'd like that for you too - you have unanswered questions you need put into perspective. Even if they don't classify you as on the spectrum, you'll still have a place here to talk, vent and be accepted.

The second series of tests were choosing the right shapes in the blank space.

I don't think I'd do well at that one. I seem to have spent my entire life pounding square pegs into round holes.

On a more serious note, I'm glad things are moving forward. Just getting to the tests is more progress than you've seen before. I hope it works out well. We're all rooting for you.

Glad you convinced them to test you. And I completely agree with @Autistamatic but let me add one more thing. Regardless of the outcome of the tests, you have those traits and symptoms to deal with and they are real.

I think I would do well on a shapes test, if it’s test attention to detail. If the shapes were moving around...that could be a problem.
That’s interesting that the written test scored the same as your online test. That is some confirmation right there that you have Asperger’s.

I guess this could be complicated for you to do an IQ test or something like that in a foreign country, for the verbal IQ part of it...

I think I did pretty bad on most of the visual tests. It acutally caused me headhache.

That I am on the spectrum, because I will get help.

Also, doesn't miraculously stop all the traits if told I am not an aspie.

I wouldn’t pin your hopes on getting any help just because you get a diagnosis. I thought the same thing too before I was diagnosed, the reality is though most adults on the high functioning end of the spectrum get little to no help after diagnosis. It’s more a case of there you go, now get on with it!

I wouldn’t pin your hopes on getting any help just because you get a diagnosis. I thought the same thing too before I was diagnosed, the reality is though most adults on the high functioning end of the spectrum get little to no help after diagnosis. It’s more a case of there you go, now get on with it!

I am not pinning my hopes on getting help, because to my mind the kind of help that would be open is to teach me how to be a neurotypical.

But she did say that they are not going to just leave me stranded, as it were.

I feel that due to being a dunce with mathematics that will be the clincher for them to say I have not got aspergers.

I am trying to be realistic about it, otherwise I will have a meltdown if it is a negative response.

I am not pinning my hopes on getting help, because to my mind the kind of help that would be open is to teach me how to be a neurotypical.

But she did say that they are not going to just leave me stranded, as it were.

I feel that due to being a dunce with mathematics that will be the clincher for them to say I have not got aspergers.

I am trying to be realistic about it, otherwise I will have a meltdown if it is a negative response.

Being realistic about it all is good. I don’t however think in the unlikely event any help of value is offered it will be -
to teach me how to be a neurotypical.

It may be to try and help you live in a neurotypical world though, which is very different. Whether we like it or not we are in a small minority and it can be in our best interests to learn how to navigate through the neurotypical world in a way that suits us, not hinders us. They are not all bad you know, you did marry one, and so did I. :)

I doubt being poor at mathematics will be a “clincher”, some aspies are good at maths some aren’t, the same as the neurotypical population. Mathematics is a skill which can be taught and learnt, improved upon or forgotten. Asperger’s syndrome or ASD is not, one has it or one doesn’t. They are looking for more than whether you can solve a math problem or not, they are looking at how you approach and undertake the problem, your methods, reaction, body language, etc etc. It’s not simply a case of whether you can pass a maths test or not. Regardless, I hope things go well for you and the correct assessment and diagnosis is made, so you can find some peace and happiness in yourself in this matter.

Hopefully they realize there isn't just one template or stereotype for autism. I used to think I couldn't be autistic because I don't have the incredible art skills that so many other autistics have.

I said it wrong. What I mean is to finish off a pattern.

You didn't say it wrong at all. I twisted the interpretation so I could fit in a wry comment. Sorry if that threw you off.

I don’t think you can be taught to think like a neurotypical but as you learn about the differences you should be able to understand how they think to a degree. And how to explain your difference to them without thinking that you are not as good as them, just different.
The results of the testing will be helpful no matter the result because it may point to another direction to look into.

New Threads

Top Bottom