• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Offensive Or No?

Riley

My relatives always say I could be a good author some day. And lately, I've found myself planning a book series in the Werewolf genre. Using the autism spectrum as a template for my brand of werewolf.

I'm a frequenter of TVTropes. So yeah, I'm aware of tropes such as "Unfortunate Implications" and "Does This Remind You Of Anything?" That's why I'm asking you guys to give opinions and suggestions and critiques. Not just for the werewolf species, but for my main character.

For The Werewolf Species:
  • Should I continue the 'infection via bite' tradition?
  • The type of Wolf form and fur color varies. You don't get the same other form or fur color as your infectee/parent/relative/other.
  • Being a werewolf can mean having stronger emotional reactions. Temper tantrums that lead to a premature Change, for example.
  • Werewolves who cannot get a hold on themselves in any way for any reason usually end up going down dark paths. Like mass-murdering innocents by rampaging in public places. Though there are plenty of killer werewolves who decide to commit their crimes for any other reason.
  • Born werewolves do not lose control of their human mindset in Wolf form. Lucidity varies, however.
  • While still fierce in temper, werewolves (Both the born & bitten) try to and tend to be gentle and empathetic. In fact, empathy is sorta one of their powers.

For The Setting:
  • Does Canada sound like a good place? Personally, I thought it would be awesome. You know, monsters in the Up North.
  • Should it be set in a world where there's public knowledge of supernatural creatures? Like True Blood/The Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries and Anita Blake?
  • The 2000's early on or right now/recently?

For My Lead:
  • Male or female protagonist?
  • Of course, they're going to be pansexual. Anybody got good tips on that?
  • Should my characters be in High School? Or should they be adults?

Does Canada sound like a good place? Personally, I thought it would be awesome. You know, monsters in the Up North.

It's too cold for monsters to be up here, kidding of course. Here's a map of the mythical monsters of the americas, which someone else put up before, but, I forget who. Whoever put it up first thanks.

2f0d12e00f99a733d67aa049351372d6.jpg

Personally I'm somewhat partial to the batsquatch or the ozark howler:D

Last edited:
My relatives always say I could be a good author some day. And lately, I've found myself planning a book series in the Werewolf genre. Using the autism spectrum as a template for my brand of werewolf.

I'm a frequenter of TVTropes. So yeah, I'm aware of tropes such as "Unfortunate Implications" and "Does This Remind You Of Anything?" That's why I'm asking you guys to give opinions and suggestions and critiques. Not just for the werewolf species, but for my main character.

For The Werewolf Species:
  • Should I continue the 'infection via bite' tradition? I've recently become aware of the whole vaccination nonsense. If it ever came out that our condition was the basis, there'd be ***** to pay.
  • The type of Wolf form and fur color varies. You don't get the same other form or fur color as your infectee/parent/relative/other.
  • Being a werewolf can mean having stronger emotional reactions. Temper tantrums that lead to a premature Change, for example.
  • Werewolves who cannot get a hold on themselves in any way for any reason usually end up going down dark paths. Like mass-murdering innocents by rampaging in public places. Though there are plenty of killer werewolves who decide to commit their crimes for any other reason.
  • Born werewolves do not lose control of their human mindset in Wolf form. Lucidity varies, however.
  • While still fierce in temper, werewolves (Both the born & bitten) try to and tend to be gentle and empathetic. In fact, empathy is sorta one of their powers.

For The Setting:
  • Does Canada sound like a good place? Personally, I thought it would be awesome. You know, monsters in the Up North.
  • Should it be set in a world where there's public knowledge of supernatural creatures? Like True Blood/The Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries and Anita Blake?

For My Lead:
It might be better to write your first book where you are, near you, or set in a place you know well and used to live in. That way descriptions, and settings will come easy to you, and you can focus more on getting the other parts right.

Good luck Riley on the writing.:fourleaf::rabbitface:

It's too cold for monsters to be up here, kidding of course. Here's a map of the mythical monsters of the americas, which someone else put up before, but, I forget who. Whoever put it up first thanks.

You're welcome.
LOL

There's no Loup Garou on this map.
That's a popular one in Louisiana.

Best map ever! No Roswell aliens though.

I'm not sure why you chose "Offensive Or No?" as the thread title, I was expecting something more controversial than werewolves.
Should I continue the 'infection via bite' tradition? I've recently become aware of the whole vaccination nonsense. If it ever came out that our condition was the basis, there'd be ***** to pay.

1. Yes, Canada sounds good. The varitions in evnironment and weather could make for a great setting, the contrast between snow heavy lands and warmer cities and such.
2. I don't think so. If you go the public knowledge route then you have to explain why people haven't killed them all and wolves in general to be safe, especially if they can be so violent. Unless that plays a part in your story then going public just over-complicates things.
3. It depends on the story. What importance would the time period have? What would you lose from setting it in modern day, what would you gain from setting it in a still recent history? For example if you set it in modern day you could have high quality camera footage from a phone of an attack go viral over different social sites, which wouldn't have been as possible in the early 2000's. If you wanted more mystery to it then the 2000's would make more sense as it's far too easy for people to share and debunk things these days.
Again, all those questions depend on the story you plan to tell. Is it a young adult story or something more mature. You're no stranger to tropes, so if it's a Y/A book series do you want to do the usual (most likely a female high school student and includes some kind of love triangle) or subvert expectations and be more original.

It all depends on the story you want to tell so I would suggest you plot out the story, at least just for the first book and start writing that story. You don't have to do a complete draft, just a few chapters. It's important that you just write and don't think too much. Then stop, give it a few days and read what you have, experience your material as a reader and not a writer and then open yourself to the different possibilities. Then you change the details. If you think there is more potential if the protagonist is a different gender or age, or if you think it would just be more enjoyable to write for yourself then you can go that route and see which story doors that opens to you.

New Threads

Top Bottom