• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Off-Line Auties...?

Do you know any infantile, non-verbal autistics?*

• No, I do not.

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Yes. They are acquaintances.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yes. I have an immediate relative.

• Yes. I have two such immediate relatives.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. I have more than two such immediate relatives.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. I have some non-immediate relatives.

• Total voters

Crossbreed

Neur-D Missionary ☝️
V.I.P Member
Because this forum is on the internet, only ASD1s, ASD2s and interested NTs can make use of it. ASD3s are not represented here due to their attendant illiteracy.

I created this post to afford them some recognition.

*Not including those who have normal cognitive development, but have just lost speech.

Last edited:
My 27 y/o nephew is called low functioning, struggles to talk unless he is stimming by repeatedly repeating dialogue from a movie or TV show, but is a math savant. He can solve incredibly complex math problems in his head but cannot describe how he does it or write down the steps he follows to solve the problems. He isn't infantile, as I understand that term, but could not survive on his own. On a few occasions, he has forced himself to speak a simple but appropriately responsive sentence which seems to leave him absolutely exhausted. One time we were working on a complex math problem involving square roots and exponential powers. He became extremely agitated, on the verge of a meltdown, so I asked him what was wrong. He struggled but said so clearly "can't get it right". That was one of the few times he has been able to volunteer words. He has always loved jigsaw puzzles. When he was child, he put them together upside down (the plain brown backs of each piece facing him; the photo face down on the table), by merely looking at the shapes. Now that he is older, he does them face-up but I think he still goes mostly by shapes. He is so fast at doing them that I've considered signing him up for one of those jigsaw puzzle competitions. He'd probably win!

Yes, I have met a person who fits this description in the past. I am no longer in contact with the family, though. She was non-verbal, but occasionally said a short sentence. She has echolalia and repeats back what people say, but without any apparent comprehension of the meaning. She was completely dependent on others to look after her, but could do some things on her own, such as brush her teeth or go to the toilet.

Correction: where I wrote "infantile, non-verbal autistics" [in poll], it should read "preliterate autistics."
ASD3s are not represented here due to their attendant illiteracy.
I should have said:
Preliterate ASD3s are not represented here.
While my original text is technically accurate, these corrections better convey my intent.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom