• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessions that are a little immature?

Owliet

The Hidden One.
It was something that I remember from my diagnosis criteria thing...do you have an interest in something that is considered to be “too young”, in comparison to your peers?

I mentioned in another thread that I’m perceived to be either on old soul but can be extremely immature at times, especially in regards to how I relate to different age groups. With older adults (40+), I’m more like an old soul, but compared to my age group, I’m very immature and have very little in common with them. Same for interests. I remember when I was a teenager, the current trend was certain boy bands and I just didn’t really know any of them....what I did know was that I listened to Disney music which was perceived as “babyish”. Naturally, it’s not surprising that I was bullied for this difference too. I’m happy that my music tastes have branched out more now with an actual range but I still do have interests that are considered potentially young for my age group....I went through a Disney frozen obsession. Now it’s the Owl House. I know that it doesn’t really matter, and it’s not like I play with dolls or any other activities that include play but even that took me a long time to get out of.

Frequent.

The sheer amount of video game/anime/Pokemon folks on here who will take umbrage at me saying their obsession is a bit immature, are proof that autism generally stretches the boundaries of "mature."
I get along well with the very old and though I don't claim to be fond of the very young, children are very fond of me.

I put on a bit of a tough exterior (very tough exterior--Tire iron in sleeve occasionally, rough harsh voice, mouth that would make a sailor blush) but when I do it is not only because I am not a very large man but mainly because I worry that maybe I never really bothered "growing up."Same thing. Source of vulnerability, easy to hide.

Best thing about the whole beastly deal with autism interests is that "you like what you like." Bunch of VHS tapes of anime, fine. Forty years old with stuffed animals? No problem. Shelf of porcelain dolls and you can't figure out why everyone else is saying they're creepy? So what's the big deal. Most of us who end up overly self-conscious about this are that way because we have been mocked for it in the past.

Frequent.

The sheer amount of video game/anime/Pokemon folks on here who will take umbrage at me saying their obsession is a bit immature, are proof that autism generally stretches the boundaries of "mature."
I get along well with the very old and though I don't claim to be fond of the very young, children are very fond of me.

I put on a bit of a tough exterior (very tough exterior--Tire iron in sleeve occasionally, rough harsh voice, mouth that would make a sailor blush) but when I do it is not only because I am not a very large man but mainly because I worry that maybe I never really bothered "growing up."Same thing. Source of vulnerability, easy to hide.

Best thing about the whole beastly deal with autism interests is that "you like what you like." Bunch of VHS tapes of anime, fine. Forty years old with stuffed animals? No problem. Shelf of porcelain dolls and you can't figure out why everyone else is saying they're creepy? So what's the big deal. Most of us who end up overly self-conscious about this are that way because we have been mocked for it in the past.

Yes, I don’t particularly like children but they seem to feel comfortable enough with me to come up to me and talk. I guess, I look unthreatening?

I was so bothered that I didn’t fit in, was ostracized a lot (went to an all girls school at one point so this might be in part why), that with parental help I was introduced to more “mainstream “ music. This was largely because of moving around frequently and that led to being in other schools. I can’t say I liked it but at least it gave me something to answer if I was asked what type of music I liked.

I was also thinking about this the other day…
While my obsessions themselves aren’t inherently “childish,” the intensity of the obsession can certainly be considered so. Over the years, I also tried to stop… having these fascinations/obsessions because I was aware of how “””weird””” they are, and I had been criticized for it so many times. I’m attempting to rekindle that lost fire, though :)

I’ve had so many over my 30 years of existence… music is the one that has lasted the longest.

what I did know was that I listened to Disney music which was perceived as “babyish”.
Lest you think Disney music is babyish, check out the album "Stay Awake." On it you have artists like Tom Waits doing Heigh Ho or Sun Ra and his Arkestra and their rendition of Pink Elephants on Parade. You will never think of those tunes the same way again. Artists like Ken Nordine, Bonnie Rait, NRBQ, The Replacements and more, bring new magic to the music. The album ends with When You Wish Upon a Star done by . . . . . Ringo Starr. An absolutely amazing album of Disney music that I doubt will be equaled anytime soon.
Z(10).jpg

For me, my interest that people think is childish, is animation. I enjoy classic as well as CGI animation. My current interest is Japanese Anime and I really like Makoto Shinkai and his photo realistic style.

I feel ya. I actually used to dislike children… then I worked with them, and i definitely connected with them better than most people my own age. The elderly are some of my favorite people, as well. :)

I feel ya. I actually used to dislike children… then I worked with them, and i definitely connected with them better than most people my own age. The elderly are some of my favorite people, as well. :)
I'm the same, but now I have a child of my own and it's a blessing, I want to in the future become a children's doctor as, I love helping children, also I'm the same I enjoy helping and looking after elders!

For me, my interest that people think is childish, is animation. I enjoy classic as well as CGI animation. My current interest is Japanese Anime and I really like Makoto Shinkai and his photo realistic style.
He is a fabulous artist! My favorite will always be Miyazaki… cliche, pleb stuff, but I am obsessed with his films.

I love classic matte painting within anime. The art can be so beautiful!

Lest you think Disney music is babyish, check out the album "Stay Awake." On it you have artists like Tom Waits doing Heigh Ho or Sun Ra and his Arkestra and their rendition of Pink Elephants on Parade. You will never think of those tunes the same way again. Artists like Ken Nordine, Bonnie Rait, NRBQ, The Replacements and more, bring new magic to the music. The album ends with When You Wish Upon a Star done by . . . . . Ringo Starr. An absolutely amazing album of Disney music that I doubt will be equaled anytime soon.
View attachment 76082

might check that out. I really love the Disney Hercules film *i know it’s waaaay different from the myth but I love all aspects about it, and recently listened to the Orchestra do Go the Distance.

I did not say that I think any of these interests are babyish in my opinion. But after so long trying to pretend that I’m not into things like this, thanks to bullying it’s just a Defense mechanism. I was also bullied for loving dinosaurs because for some reason girls can’t like dinosaurs and another is that it’s perceived as a young interest. Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised, people are so judgmental about everything.

I work with middle school and high school kids and they’re a blast to work with. I don’t really like younger children but like I said, I must look trustworthy or non threatening enough for them come up and talk with me. On Thursday, I had a whole group approach me to see what experiment I was doing and asked me some very nice questions in the process, whilst ordinarily they don’t do this type of thing.

View attachment 76082

Ok I have to put this on my song list. Epic! Thanks for sharing.

But after so long trying to pretend that I’m not into things like this, thanks to bullying it’s just a Defense mechanism. I was also bullied for loving dinosaurs because for some reason girls can’t like dinosaurs and another is that it’s perceived as a young interest. Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised, people are so judgmental about everything.
Exactly. I remember trying to bury my interests due to ridicule. Especially after an incident involving David Tennant in high school.
I work with middle school and high school kids and they’re a blast to work with. I don’t really like younger children but like I said, I must look trustworthy or non threatening enough for them come up and talk with me. On Thursday, I had a whole group approach me to see what experiment I was doing and asked me some very nice questions in the process, whilst ordinarily they don’t do this type of thing.
That is so fun!! I’m kinda jealous… I miss working with kiddos.

I was also bullied for loving dinosaurs because for some reason girls can’t like dinosaurs and another is that it’s perceived as a young interest.
I never saw an interest in paleontology as negative and did not give a damn about what other people thought. That interest has taken me to some amazing places like the Drumheller Badlands in Alberta or the Kem-Kem beds in Morocco. Now, I take great delight in Trilobites.

Last edited:
He is a fabulous artist! My favorite will always be Miyazaki… cliche, pleb stuff, but I am obsessed with his films.

I love classic matte painting within anime. The art can be so beautiful!
Seeing Spirited away for the first time and I found it breathtaking, especially when Chihiro saw the town come alive with Kami.

Some of the matte painting in the early Disney feature films were undoubtedly luscious.

I never saw an interest in paleontology as negative and did not give a damn about what other people thought. That interest has taken me to some amazing places like the Drumheller Baslands in Alberta or the Kem-Kem beds in Morocco. Now, I take great delight in Trilobites.
Id love to see photos Of your finds from these trips, and I’m sure that others on here would too but only if you want to. I wish I had not allowed many things to be seen as negatives.
t`s like having ducklings follow you and you can`t get rid of them. :)

I laughed with this because it’s so true!

Exactly. I remember trying to bury my interests due to ridicule. Especially after an incident involving David Tennant in high school.
yes, I wish I had not buried my interests. What’s this about David Tennant?

I found
I have enjoyed presenting to high school Earth Science classes. I was so honored once when after presenting to a couple of classes I was told that some of the kids from a previous year's class were disappointed when they heard I was in the building but did not have the opportunity to see me again.

yes, I wish I had not buried my interests. What’s this about David Tennant?
I mean, it wasn’t THAT bad. I wasn’t bullied, for it or anything. It was just a really weird moment…

I absolutely LOVED ‘Doctor Who’, and David Tennant was my favorite doctor. Well, we ended up watching ‘Hamlet’ in my English class, and he played Hamlet… I had an uncontrollable gasp and stim moment when I saw him, and everyone just kinda gawked at me. The next day, the student teacher put me on the spot and asked what else I’ve seen him in, and one of the girls said, “yeah, because you’re so in loooove with him!” Obviously trying to make fun of me.
Go-go selective mutism! I just shook my head and looked down because I could not answer him. This was senior year, so I was 18. Not the most “age-appropriate” thing to do. I would bring my sonic screwdriver to school, so it’s not like people didn’t know. But it was definitely one of the moments that led to me burying my interests.

I found

I have enjoyed presenting to high school Earth Science classes. I was so honored once when after presenting to a couple of classes I was told that some of the kids from a previous year's class were disappointed when they heard I was in the building but did not have the opportunity to see me again.
That sounds awesome. Sometimes,
nothing beats having a real life expert to come in and do talks. They enjoy the experience and it’s memorable for them.

I mean, it wasn’t THAT bad. I wasn’t bullied, for it or anything. It was just a really weird moment…

I absolutely LOVED ‘Doctor Who’, and David Tennant was my favorite doctor. Well, we ended up watching ‘Hamlet’ in my English class, and he played Hamlet… I had an uncontrollable gasp and stim moment when I saw him, and everyone just kinda gawked at me. The next day, the student teacher put me on the spot and asked what else I’ve seen him in, and one of the girls said, “yeah, because you’re so in loooove with him!” Obviously trying to make fun of me.
Go-go selective mutism! I just shook my head and looked down because I could not answer him. This was senior year, so I was 18. Not the most “age-appropriate” thing to do. I would bring my sonic screwdriver to school, so it’s not like people didn’t know. But it was definitely one of the moments that led to me burying my interests.
Oh man, I got something similar once. I’m awkward anyway but as a teenager way more gawky. It also didn’t help that my lack of ...interest in actual guys in my year or had acceptable crushes was perceived that I was a lesbian. One time, because I just happened to really like a certain female sports person, I had some guy make a similar comment with a flex of his muscles saying it’s because she had muscles that I *loved* her. So many years wasted being worried about what others think and feel about me. And so many years of confusion and questioning...my mom isn’t exactly supportive when it comes to LGBTQ stuff, if I’m still in the closet it’s because of these reasons OR I’m just entirely asexual. I don’t even know.

Also that student teacher was wrong to do that to you. Sorry that that happened too.

But it was definitely one of the moments that led to me burying my interests.
I understand completely, except that happened very personally for me. I remember when talking with guys and the topic turned to which girls in class one liked. At the time I focused on the girl's demeanor and interests and would add who I thought was nice. They responded as if it was unusual that I would have such thoughts and then begin tearing into the girl I mentioned, acting like I was stupid for liking her. This had a profound negative impact on me and my relationships with girls/women. Being mocked for taking an interest in another person, especially a romantic interest, is so very damaging. It took me a decade to recover.

New Threads

Top Bottom