• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessed with Russia

There is a lot of beautiful architecture in Russia. I would like to visit St Petersburg (former Leningrad).
I'd also like to ride the Trans Siberian Railway to Vladivostok.
However the political climate and the lack of respect for people's sexual orientations concerns me.
I agree with the concern of political climate, yet, though I am accepting of homosexuals and think they should have a right to be married in this country, other countries can have very different views on such things and I think they should be respected.

I suppose this question is mostly directed at epath13 , she being the Russian in this discussion, but an acquaintance of mine recently traveled to Russia (St. Petersburg), and from the sound of it, there seems to be a little bit of residual nostalgia for the communist days. He recalls seeing statues of Lenin with fresh flowers beneath them, and got the impression that there were a few people still who longed for the old Communist system.

I agree with the concern of political climate, yet, though I am accepting of homosexuals and think they should have a right to be married in this country, other countries can have very different views on such things and I think they should be respected.

In the post-Soviet era I've always had the feeling that a successful political career of those at the top required a perpetually "tight" relationship with the Russian Orthodox Church. Perhaps the ultimate source of such sentiments.

Last edited:
He recalls seeing statues of Lenin with fresh flowers beneath them, and got the impression that there were a few people still who longed for the old Communist system.
I've also had this question. My Russian friend (who never actually lived in Russia, but her parents did) was unable to really answer, saying "sure some people, but not the majority." To epath13 as well, what would you consider the political view point of most Russians to be? And also, what do the different parties consist of?

I've also had this question. My Russian friend (who never actually lived in Russia, but her parents did) was unable to really answer, saying "sure some people, but not the majority." To epath13 as well, what would you consider the political view point of most Russians to be? And also, what do the different parties consist of?
Honestly, I have no idea. The only thing I can say - a lot of people chose security over change. I do not watch Russian television of any kind, I rarely read anything that comes from official news sources. But on occasion I see and hear opinions of regular folks. From what I see, there're always people out there who do their jobs, trying to improve their lives and lives of others every day, there're people who fight for freedom and there're those who are afraid. As for the Soviet nostalgia. Many people felt secure during that time, there was always a job, a place to live, free education etc etc Unfortunately people also try to forget that we lived in a dream world. People try to forget that life in big cities, especially Moscow, was very different from life in the rest of the country. There many more things that people do not want to remember. But what people want to remember is security. So if you're asking about some in depth knowledge of Russian political system, you're asking a wrong person. I can only offer an opinion based on my experience.

Hello, I´m Russian, too. My name means "star" because I like Astronomy.
I´m interested in the language and analysize it, the same thing with Spanish. I can tell about my living in Bryansk. :D

I am absolutely fascinated by everything Russian. I love the history, the language, the culture, the people, etc. I have quite a few Russian friends and one non-Russian friend who is obsessed with Putin. I always have questions regarding history or politics, and would just love to learn Russian. If anyone on here is Russian, I'd love to talk to you! My Russian friends don't have much time to teach me the language and few of them know much about my very specific cultural and political questions. Also, if anyone happens to also be obsessed with Russia by any chance, I'd love to compare notes! :)
I know 2 other Aspies irl with the same obsession, so weird.

Hello, I´m Russian, too. My name means "star" because I like Astronomy.
I´m interested in the language and analysize it, the same thing with Spanish. I can tell about my living in Bryansk. :D
Maybe you know about Russian politics :) anyway, I've never been good at Geography. It's embarrassing but I had to Google where Bryansk was :D I mean I obviously know the name, just don't know where it is :) ok, got it. I think I knew somebody from Fokino, don't remember... I haven't been to Russia for about 10 years. Did it change a lot in your area (job wise and living accomodations wise) Do you still have government housing? An old friend of mine got an apartment covered by government, but they live in Moscow and her husband is in military...

I am in electrical wiring. Do the electrical sockets of Russia mostly be the Schuko type now? They used ot just have 2 round pins but not a recessed socket like the Schuko sockets. Or they have Schuko sockets in newer homes and buildings now?

Being Russian and raised in a Russian Household, I can see your love of Russia. I'm a bit in love with it myself.

Of all the obsessions to have, you're blessed with a really beautiful and loving one.

Last edited:
Maybe I could name you some books I have bought to learn Russian, I think they are pretty well structured and I am very picky with language learning material. I haven't learned much yet because I am busy studying italian, English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese and I am on the verge of taking up signs language. Hm, I get anxious because I need more time to study it all. Anyway, I'll take a look at my books and post their titles here so you can give them a look.

I am in electrical wiring. Do the electrical sockets of Russia mostly be the Schuko type now? They used ot just have 2 round pins but not a recessed socket like the Schuko sockets. Or they have Schuko sockets in newer homes and buildings now?
When I was there, they were. We lived in 4 different countries and they all had different sockets, it's frustrating! :) I'm not sure about the Netherlands though... I think it might be similar to Russian... it was long time ago :)

despite my Anti Communist opinions based on my reactionary views I sometimes get very nostalgic about Soviet Russia and on top of that I view Putin as a Russian Patriot which my parents disagree.

New Threads

Top Bottom