• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not a normal mom

Pats

V.I.P Member
I worked night shift all my years working at the hospital because I always referred to it as the 'hidden' shift. Also, I liked the shift differential. But I always think about my daughter asking when I was going to work during the day like a normal mom and I replied, "But I'm not a normal mom."

It was hard being a single mom and it was a constant struggle. I didn't know why it was so hard for me and after learning many years later that I am on the spectrum, I now know that I, in fact, was NOT a normal mom. I have always loved my kids with every being of myself and never a day went by that I didn't appreciate getting to be the one to raise my kids. But I've also, many times said I'm not capable of being a mom.

I knew I didn't have what it takes, but I was a mom so all I could do was the best I could. I tried to do normal mom things. I let them get into cheerleading and football and tball and anything else they were interested in, which drove me ragged. Alone, I kept a roof over their heads, fed them, gave them what they needed and then some. I hated when they had loud friends over (my kids were all on the quiet side), but I let them.

I had very open discussions with them - for instance I would tell them I didn't know how to talk to them about drinking because I don't want them to drink so I don't want to say if they decide to drink they should do it at home because I know they'd do it out, too, so I didn't want them to do it here. I didn't want them to drink and wasn't going to sign a contract, but I didn't want them to drink and drive or get in the car with anyone else who had been drinking, so what can I say? But I did add that if they were ever anywhere and was uncomfortable in a situation and needed me to come get them, to call and I'd get them, no questions asked.

Anyhow, my point is I tried. We did do things differently than other families and I was questioned many times about my parenting techniques, which I would simply say that I also didn't agree with theirs but I keep my mouth shut and expect them to do the same. Coaches and other parents didn't like me, but I wasn't in it for the social aspect anyway.

They somehow managed to all turn out and grow into very respectful, caring and nice adults, no thanks to me. I just hope they now understand why I wasn't a normal parent and okay with it. It does truly bother me that I don't feel I was meant to have kids and still feel like I fail them because I don't call them every day or visit them constantly.

They know I love them and will be there any time they need me, but I'm not in touch with them as much as I feel I should be. I don't like picking up the phone and calling - another reason we have the Marco Polo thing going. If I just want to know they're all fine I post Marco on facebook and they all Polo me back.

It sounds like you did a great job raising your children, and under difficult circumstances! The main thing is that you love them. Not all mothers love their children.
I dont think you should call them all the time, they can always call you if they want to talk. Kids want independence from their moms but know that she is there when needed. I think you are feeling guilt about things for no reason!
Pat yourself on the back, you done good!

My mom wasn't a normal mom, either, but I couldn't have asked for a better mother....she made mistakes and did some things wrong, but that's okay -- nobody is perfect.

She did her best, and she loved and accepted me unconditionally, and those things matter more to me than anything else -- those things had more impact than anything else.

She had pressure and judgement from her family and her friends and pretty much everyone else over how she raised me, but I think she did better with me (not a normal kid, extremely difficult) than any of them ever could have.

Don't feel bad about the kind of mom you are. If your kids are doing okay and know how much they are loved, I'd say you've done a really good job as a mom.

Last edited:
There was good times, too. I will never forget, nor let my son forget, when we had gone school shopping for clothes (he was probably 6ish) and he accidently knocked over a rack of clothes, which caused a domino affect with about 4 racks. I looked at him and in a low voice he said, "I didn['t do nothing." Or when my daughter drew all over her brothers face while he napped with a permanent marker. And I couldn't say a lot about them not wanting to try new foods, even though I would tell them if they don't like it they can spit it out. Nope. But they'd come to me and try to get me to taste something and I'd close my mouth and shake my head no. And I was the one always wanting McDonald while they would be saying, "No K&W cafeteria" I think some of the things that would drive most parents crazy was okay with me while other things that most parents think is fine I'd have trouble with. My kids know I'm weird and mostly just laugh about it. Thanks for the reassurance - I need to stop comparing what I do with what I see other mom's doing.

My mom wasn't a normal mom, either, but I couldn't have asked for a better mother....she made mistakes and did some things wrong, but that's okay -- nobody is perfect.

She did her best, and she loved and accepted me unconditionally, and those things matter more to me than anything else -- those things had more impact than anything else.

She had pressure and judgement from her family and her friends and pretty much everyone else over how she raised me, but I think she did better with me (not a normal kid, extremely difficult) than any of them ever could have.

Don't feel bad about the kind of mom you are. If your kids are doing okay and know how much they are loved, I'd say you've done a really good job as a mom.
I also had a lot of pressure and judgement from my mom and kids friend's parents. That part was a nightmare. At one point I even told my mom that if she said one more thing about me I was going to sue her for slander. I wouldn't have, but I was tired.

Way back when my Brother and I were very young, my Mum was a cleaner up at the Children's Hospital, this was around the late 70's/very early 80's.

They somehow managed to all turn out and grow into very respectful, caring and nice adults, no thanks to me. I just hope they now understand why I wasn't a normal parent and okay with it. It does truly bother me that I don't feel I was meant to have kids and still feel like I fail them because I don't call them every day or visit them constantly.

It sounds like you did a fine job, more than fine.

Who says you have to be a "normal mom?"

New Threads

Top Bottom