• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to me

Senora

Hello, this is the first time I have corresponded on any kind of chat forum. Since when I signed up it suggested this was the best route I'm giving it a try. For about a year and a half now I have poked around in the world for aspbergers information. I haven't gained a lot, and I have only done so when something seemed to call to me. The whole reason I started doing this is because, not so uncommon, it was suggested in a psychiatry session I could be high functioning aspbergers, and I needed some time to wrap my mind around that. I am here now because I have a strong intuition that that suggestion was more accurate, and when I look at one side of my family in particular it seems to make even more sense in a way I never considered. I would like to read the articles and talk with some people as to the outside world Asperbers is not what springs to mind when people meet me. For me though, what I read makes more sense then all the other round about conversations I've had trying to figure out what's "wrong" with me. I hope this introduction is acceptable to your forum, since there is a bit of speculation in my diagnosis or non-diagnosis. ~S

Hi there Senora Among all the available resources here are links to some self-testing tools, which probably might indicate whether you're on the right track with your own diagnosis here?

Many adults only consider the possibility of their own possible autism status after their offspring receives a diagnosis. Myself, I knew of one cousin diagnosed during my childhood but wasn't assessed myself until aged 35, some years ago now. In the intervening years, it transpired two more of my family were also likewise diagnosed & I believe familial clusters are not uncommon at all. :)

Thank you all for welcoming me. Your reception warmed me today. I don't check internet stuff a lot, so if I've posted and then disappear for a while I'll be wandering and wondering somewhere for a bit. Elemental Thank you for indicating the self testing tools, and also mentioning a response in regards to my family suspicions. I appreciate the acknowledgement and encouragement in finding my way. I hope everyone keeps well as we finish up the year.

Welcome Senora,

If you're still questioning things, let me make a suggestion: For me, the 'ah-ha' moment of discovery was not in the scientific & psychiatric evaluations but rather in the "obsessions & interests" forum here. Dig around in there a little bit and if you find yourself laughing so hard you fall off your chair a couple of times because you feel the same way, or have done the same things, there's a good chance your diagnosis is confirmed......

Hello senora I'm streetwise, never thought about autism seriously til my gp said the word autistic and diagnosis
Was diagnosed last year
Another man in the UK where I'm from was 68 when he was diagnosed
I was always called quiet as a child
I think some of my relatives are autistic .
I think the problem comes from in part the media only making documentaries about people with communication issues who are mistakenly violent or savaunts like the film rain man.
So the message is not loud and clear

New Threads

Top Bottom