• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Research: Asperger Syndrome and Depression

Pedro

New Research: Asperger Syndrome and Depression
Jul 15, 2011 Melanie Hundley

Is new Swedish research a wake-up call to adult Asperger Syndrome patients including their care providers? Major depression and anxiety disorders reported.
University and hospital researchers in Sweden are publishing a new study in the September 2011 issue of Research in Developmental Disabilities that raises critical awareness particularly for adult patients living with Asperger Syndrome.

As Lugnegard, Hallerback, and Gillberg report, much less research has been published for adult patients of normal intelligence dealing with autism spectrum disorders and/or Asperger Syndrome (AS). They conducted a study of 54 willing adults with a clinical diagnosis of AS. About half were women. Their report details the varied clinical backgrounds of these participants who averaged the age of 27. Interestingly, 52% of the group received their AS diagnosis in their late teens or later.

Highlighted Results
Lugnegard et al report:

• 70% had experienced at least one episode of major depression (and about half of those had recurrent major depression, and five met criteria for bipolar II disorder);
  • 56% met criteria for at least one anxiety disorder, some with two or more. Various aspects of anxiety were commented including: social anxiety disorder (SAD), generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder, agoraphobia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD);
  • Two met criteria for psychosis;
  • 13% had experienced recurrent hallucinations (primarily auditory) without other signs of psychosis;
  • 4% had bulimia nervosa;
  • 11% had previous substance dependence disorder;
  • 30% had been given an earlier diagnosis of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD); and
  • 2% had been diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome.

Socio-economic and gender differences did not appear to influence the observed results.

What Is Major Depression?
The U.S. National Center for Biotechnology offers these possible symptoms of depression:

• Agitation, restlessness, and irritability;
  • Dramatic change in appetite, often with weight gain or loss;
  • Very difficult to concentrate;
  • Fatigue and lack of energy;
  • Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness;
  • Feelings of worthlessness, self-hate, and guilt;
  • Becoming withdrawn or isolated;
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in activities that were once enjoyed;
  • Thoughts of death or suicide;
  • Trouble sleeping or excessive sleeping; and
  • Depression can appear as anger and discouragement, rather than feelings of sadness.

What Can Be Learned Here?

The Swedish report reads like a call to action for depression awareness with AS. They point out how "strikingly high" the rate of lifetime major depression was observed in young adults with AS and how these results align with their clinical experience treating "hundreds of individuals with AS."

The research team mentions that no previous studies have focused on AS adults experiencing anxiety disorders. Various scenarios and social interactions are discussed that may explain how AS patients can be impacted or even disabled by related fears, e.g., fears of some social situations or even fears of the perceptions by others of their AS behaviors.

Next Steps

"Comorbidity" is the clinical term used for describing patients with two or more disease processes, and identifying tendencies for comorbidity is viewed as an important aspect in successful treatment.

Lugnegard and team report a "high level of alertness for additional psychiatric disorders is needed" when an AS type disorder is diagnosed. And conversely, those with long term histories of depression and/or anxiety should be assessed for other neuro-developmental disorders including AS.

Based on this report, adults with Asperger Syndrome should be vigilant in addressing any tendencies or experiences with depression with their doctor to ensure the best quality of life.

Special thanks to Tove Lugnegard for sharing additional information and insight on their research.

Other research-related articles by Melanie Hundley include: New Research: Police Work and Autism, 2011: ADHD Treatments Reviewed; New Research: Autism and Vaccines.

Disclaimer: The information and links contained in this article are for educational purposes only and should not be used for diagnosis or to guide treatment without the opinion of a health professional. Any reader who is concerned about his or her health should contact a licensed medical doctor for advice.

Sources
Lugneg?rd, T., Hallerb?ck, M., & Gillberg, C. (2011). Psychiatric comorbidity in young adults with a clinical diagnosis of Asperger syndrome. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 32(5), 1910-1917. Retrieved July 8, 2011, from EBSCOhost online database. DOI:10.1016/j.ridd.2011.03.025.
National Center for Biotechnology. (2010, April 26). Asperger Syndrome. Retrieved July 15, 2011, from PubMed Health online database.
National Center for Biotechnology. (2011, April 11). Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Retrieved July 15, 2011, from PubMed Health online database.
National Center for Biotechnology. (2010, April 26). Autism. Retrieved July 15, 2011, from PubMed Health online database.
National Center for Biotechnology. (2011, March 29). Bipolar disorder. Retrieved July 15, 2011, from PubMed Health online database.
National Center for Biotechnology. (2011, March 15). Major Depression. Retrieved July 15, 2011, from PubMed Health online database.

Source/Original article: New Research: Asperger Syndrome and Depression | Suite101.com

I also think there is an interlink between AS and depression. It is possible that I have a mild form of depression and once experienced major depression. I also have OCD.

I also think there is an interlink between AS and depression. It is possible that I have a mild form of depression and once experienced major depression. I also have OCD.

And Droopy, they don't stop you from doing a good job here!

See, so all of us here should see how can we master AS and depression :)

i have general anxiety disorder, adhd, ocd and depression.
i'm really glad you posted this and i'm glad to read about this research. it's good to know what is causing my problems. of course, i also have social phobias and noise anxiety and insomnia. had a mild eating disorder as a teen, like not eating for two, three and on slight occasions up to seven days, only a plain yogurt a day, and then eating a lot, but i did that to lose weight and never threw up or anything like that. anyway, i'm over it now.
i was depressed when i was ten and a half and it lasted for half a year. then i was depressed again age sixteen and it lasted for quite a few years.
i do believe the other things associated with asperger syndrome are much worse than the syndrome itself. i dont mind being an aspie so much, but the ocd and general anxiety are bad, especially that damn depression i deal with all my life and is endless...

At this point in time where quite a few <8 year old children get diagnosed with depression one can wonder how accurate that diagnosis is. Depression is a very overused term that by now describes anything from having a bad hair day to ready to jump off a cliff.

Activity and passion will overcome depression, imo

I may have to disagree with you there Geordie, I have been woefully depressed for a substantial period now and figured that achieving one of the things I so desperately wanted out of life, to move into a house instead of another flat, would alleviate the symptoms.
They (symptoms) persist despite passion and activity in spades, I am being physical which makes me happy ordinarily and I finally achieved a goal which should only ever be classed as a good thing.

I think that depression can be lifted by things that aren’t depressing... and when I work that one out I will corner the market and cut you in on the profits LOL

Seriously, I think we get it (depression) worse because the things that may usually help to lessen the grip of depression are things we find incredibly difficult to attain, like a partners love, financial stability, physical wellbeing or reduced stress.
The things we inadvertently avoid due to social restrictions may well be the key to overcoming depression.
Now this may actually lead back to what you said about activity and passion, so you can really just disregard this whole post!

You know what; I am going to post it anyway, just to show the brilliance of the aspergical mind in motion :lol:

In general I do agree with Geordie though. Staying active and doing things you like usually helps getting rid of depression... at least for me it does.

It's just... doing those things often cost a lot of money and/or time, both resources which quite often aren't available. So in that way I understand Gomendosi, where financial instability for instance or the fact that you have to be so "into" things you like to relieve depression, that cause you to be isolated from other people and therefore missing out on physical wellbeing or eventually meeting people for potentional relationships (not to mention the hands on experience), don't really help to lift depression a lot.

I think in that way, a lot comes down to "enjoy the little things". I feel that, at least for me, that's quite hard. Most stuff I care about, simply costs money, and isn't cheap (in a general sense). It makes me wonder if I'm even unable to enjoy "the little things"... truth be told, there's a lot of stuff people consider as "nice things nature has to offer" (for example) which annoy me way more than the should... I remember the mom of an aspie friend of mine, once tell her son (thus that friend of mine) "why can 't you just enjoy the singing of birds outside?"... srsly, he, like me, is more the type of person that would rather shoot every bird for interfering on his audible spectrum, as means of a annoying sensory stimulation rather not to be had.

At the moment I'm keeping myself out of depression, and I'm doing quite well with that. I don't feel really miserable that often, but with that comes that I spend a lot of money on interests and hobby's, which probably should've been spent on other stuff (or even saved)... but I do believe in keeping mentally sane and healthy, preferably without meds, and this is how I do that. And to be honest, even therapists told me that the way I try to keep myself happy and busy is good enough in the sense that they don't see the problem with how I do it short term... long term, there might be some financial loss about it. For what it's worth, they rather had me just indulge on books, movies, being creative rather than drug me up and lose future dreams and ideals... as well as the fact that my personal "therapy" is way better than so-called "self-medication" by substance abuse, which is something that happens quite a lot or so I've heard.

New Threads

Top Bottom