• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jakob Burto-Sundman

Hi My Name is Jakob. I have recently found out I have asperger's along with a visual imparment. Actually the visual impairment was know first. The asperger's was recent. I went most of my life without knowing. What was it like for any of you when you found out?

I just found out, and I was personally shocked. It had never even crossed my mind. But welcome!

Welcome aboard!!!

It was a huge life event, official diagnosis and the acceptance that I am autistic. I got my official diagnosis about 5 months ago. After 33 years of struggling I had a name for what made me unique. So much made sense suddenly. Along with the excitement and relief came depression and frustration.

I was able to learn how many of my behaviors are or were counter- productive. I am always working on self improvement and adjusting my attitude. Having a friendly helpful place to find support is essential in my opinion. I joined two other aspie sites before I discovered this Gem, Aspiecentral. It is THE friendliest place yet. I enjoy it here very much.

I was 28 when I found out. It was like: "Well, this explains a lot about certain recurring patterns in the way people have been treating me throughout my adult life."

I didn't begin to ponder who and what I am only until a few years ago...well past 50 years of age. I slowly pieced it all together over many months. Heard about AS by accident watching a tv show. It came as a relief to know it's a neurological difference that other people have rather than to just go through life thinking there was something inherently wrong with me and me alone.

Ok, we're different. However it doesn't mean we're deficient.

Last edited:
Welcome :)

I myself am self-diagnosed, but was relieved to have finally have an answer to explain all the strange past events; which until recently, were simply confusing, and left unexplained.

I hope you find many more answers here, as they can be a comfort, and can potentially improve your quality of life. Feel free to browse our recommended resources section, for books on AS as well: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Hi Jacob, welcome to our friendly community. This place is loaded with interesting information, complete with helpful people :)

Welcome Jacob.

I was diagnosed last year but have known allot longer.
For me being diagnosed ment a not longer carrying around a huge burden of guilt and doubt.

Welcome to AC Jacob.

I was diagnosed at 50 and it was the most freeing experience of my life.

It has been a double edged sword but overall I am happier in myself.

I wonder if you have ever read the book Mindblind. The main character has Asperger's. When I read the first two chapter's it scared the hell out of me. Then to face my fears I read the rest of it. I realized I was so scared because it was describing me. I then did research and realized that I asperger's For me it was like my life finally made sense. I have told some of my closes friends that I have it: A) because I feel I can trust them B) I know they won't give a care. I don't either come to think about it. My therpist also brought it up by commenting that the main charicter of the TV show Bones has it. I wonder what you think of that.

Greetings and welcome Jakob!!! My diagnosis came late in life as well.... I always knew there was something up... but couldn't put a name to it till last year..:)

I was little when I was diagnosed, so I do not really remember how it felt. There are some vague memories though...

New Threads

Top Bottom