• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New member with possible Aspergers daughter

goraidders

Not sure what information is relevant and what is not. So please overlook my rambling.

I have a 17 year old daughter, Sydney. She is going for testing in April for Asperger's. Her current counselor is very sure she has it(and possible some OCD), and the more I read about it the more I am too. She is very bright, and articulate. She does well in school. She loves to draw and read. She is an amazing young woman, and we are very proud of her.

A little background. She never really fit in socially in school. She kept trying to figure out why she wasn't liked. She kept thinking about what made her different to figure it out. One time she thought it was because of her clothes, so she wanted different clothes to fit in. Another time she thought it was because she was too smart. Then she thought maybe it was her religion. It was none of those. She just doesn't interact in a generally considered acceptable way. She did not really understand the concept of personal space. She has a strong sense of right and wrong with no room for other opinions. If she thinks she is right about something (even if it is meaningless to most) it is nearly impossible to get it out of her head. Finally after 4th grade we schooled her at home using an online school.

When she was ten she start saying she wished she wasn't born. She was sad all the time. She lost her joy in life. (Looking back that is about the time she realized what actually made her different from other people. And among other things she realized things she said were not taken the way she meant.) I couldn't figure out what to do to help her, so I took her for counseling. Her first counselor she only saw a handful of times before the counselor was assigned to a different area. But she is the first person to mention Asperger's. She mentioned it almost in passing. I went home and looked it up and thought maybe so. At that time a lot fit, and a lot didn't. Her next counselor was helpful, but thought we needed to get her in more social settings. But the counselor was helpful. They diagnosed her with ADHD and a couple months later put her on Prozac. That seemed to really helped. She took them for a while and then got off. She was ok for a while. Still socially awkward. But seemed fine. She was close to being discharged from counseling and her counselor left for another job. I asked the new counselor about Asperger's, and she said that it could be. But it didn't really matter as we would keep doing the same things.

A few years later she was having extreme anxiety, scratching her arms, biting her arms, and having a difficult time even ordering food. So her pediatrician put her on buspar and recommended counseling. Her counselor said she must be depressed if she was having that much anxiety. This counselor did not fit for us. And apparently we did not fit for her either. (They got into a huge glass half full/ half empty discussion. The counselor thought Sydney was intentionally being difficult. Sydney just cannot answer that question with out more information.) After a while she said it was time for discharge. Sydney was doing much better, but far from ready to have no more help. We had a final session and I explained my concerns about ending counseling and meds. She basically said Sydney was as good as she was going to get. Sydney was done with counseling at this point. This counselor frustrated her to know end. Most of which I did not know until afterwards. I convinced her to give a new counselor a try. One meeting and go from there. Within ten minutes she asked if Sydney had heightened senses. It was a light bulb moment for me. Yes she could not tolerate bright lights, has a vehement dislike of certain colors, very sensitive to bright lights, and has always been extremely picky about what clothes were not itchy. This counselor gets her, and is so great for her. It is amazing to have someone who understands what she is dealing with. She is off the buspar and doing really well. Excited to start college in the fall.

This had turned into a much longer post than I intended. And there is sill so much to say. Let me try to wrap it up quickly.

She is relieved to have a real diagnosis to describe her issues. There are many things that point to it, and it really seems likely to me. And I will be relieved to have some guidance on how to help her. When to push, and when to back off. What is beyond her control, and what is not. My mom described her as high maintenance when she was about three. It was not said in a detrimental way, but it was accurate. I look back and see so many things that fit with Asperger's, and regret I didn't pursue it the first time it was mentioned years ago. She is an only child. Many of her issues didn't seem that strange to me. I had many similar things I went through growing up just not as severe or as many. But still wished I had pursued it. She still has many problems that maybe she would be better able to deal with. Ok that is enough for now. I am excited to find a group of people to share experiences with, and get advice on how to help Sydney.

Again sorry for the long post, and thanks to any who was able to make it all the way through.

It is interesting you say that you had similar issues, but not as extreme - I've read that it is common to find that parents either are on the spectrum or borderline/had some similar issues. Welcome! I hope you and your daughter find good company and good guidance here.

Welcome goraidders :)

If it helps bring things into perspective: Some of the biggest pyromaniacs I’ve ever met have been firefighters, and some of the most (mentally) messed up individuals I’ve met have been mental health ‘professionals’ so take it all with a grain of salt and only believe what you feel you should believe....

There are plenty of forums here on parenting / kids, and plenty of forums for your daughter to meet people her age to swap stories with & feel normal.

A good portion of us here, dealt with everything she (and you) are going thru before Asperger’s even existed in the medical books (circa mid 90’s) so imagine a world without even that level of understanding / possibilities. The world is making progress, albeit slowly, but that's why we clump together here;)

Have fun digging around & participating here.

You sound like a wonderful and caring mum!

You could almost be describing me as growing up! A sense of not being a part of a crowd, but not really knowing why and yes, I went through stages of: perhaps it is this reason or that reason, but nothing worked and so, decided I must have a really negative auro around me, that makes people not want to get closer.

When aspergers is described by no aspergers people ie neurotypicals; they always give a very cut and dried description. Montoned voice; blank face etc and I am the opposite to those and so, would be slammed for not having aspergers.

It is just wonderful that Australia is not bogged down with the ethics of aspergers. Here in France, they refuse to even contemplate that it is authentic ( I am from the uk originally).

The fact that you get your daughter, does show that quite possibly you have aspergers too. You see, with aspergers, it is not static and so, ones can improve in certain areas; whereas classic autism is non negotiable. Being on the spectrum also means that there are varying decrees of severity.

I cannot wear molehair ( spelling is not my strong point); as soon as the material touches my skin it is a case of wanting to tear it off again!

My sunglasses are my best friend.

So very welcome to this wonderful forum.

welcome.png

Welcome to Aspies Central. We're all your friends here, and things are very civil here compared with most autism-related forums. You'll make friends here and we can talk. It's good you want to talk. Don't be afraid to ask for help. We're not like other autism-related forums that are full of trolls and attacks. (**cough**Wrong Planet!**) Welcome and hello.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Interesting thoughts on me possibly having it. I cannot rule it out, I have so many things in common with her. Or rather she has so many things in common with me. If I do have it. I think it was easier for me because once I realized I did not fit in I did not care as much. I kept to myself and did not say much. Why talk if you have to explain everything you meant, and then others still not get it. Why bother when everyone says you have no sense of humor. I get it, it is not funny to me. I have a sense of humor just very different. Etc, etc. I did not have the issues speaking with people about things I knew. Sydney stopped talking, but she stopped almost all interaction with people. She even went further inside herself. I think she cares too much about other people and how they take her. I try to get her to stop trying so hard. The effort she puts into a simple interaction is incredible. She puts way to effort into examining their face trying to read what they mean, to figure out how she should respond, trying to figure out what tone she should use, trying to make eye contact. How exactly do you make eye contact without it being weird? I told her to quit worrying about so much stuff. If she wants to pick one thing. Let the rest go. When I was younger I gave up on trying to figure other people out. It made life much easier.

But enough of that. I just want to know the best way to help Sydney be successful and happy in life. She is a senior and starting college in the fall. I worry so much about how she can handle that. I don't know the best way to help her. We are fortunate we live in a college town, and she got a scholarship there. She will be able to stay home, so that is good. She will also have a dorm room to use when she wants or needs to. But how can I help her get to where she can cope with so much interaction with people, lights, noises, and all the other things she will have to deal with? One step at a time I guess. I am going to research and find out as much as I can on how to help her. Now that I know (soon to be official) why she is having issues, I can hopefully give her the right help. Once I figure out what that is....

I keep rambling, but it is so refreshing to be able to "talk" to people who understand. Most people we know try to, but they just don't get the extent of her difficulties. It is strange because she also gets migraines. That is easy for most people to get, but not this.

I also appreciate the comment that Asperger's is not static. That statement would explain why for so long she was able to interact without problems ( or at least I did not notice them) within our social groups, and why now she cannot.

New Threads

Top Bottom