• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New dog's chewing things up

Duna

V.I.P Member
Hi.
I recently adopted a new dog, and it turns out she like to chew on things.
The place I live is rural, and the yard is open. Ana (my new dog) and some other dogs roam freely, but now a neighbor called my dad because apparently Ana chewed on some of his car's cables. I was sceptical at first, but now I witness how she was chewing up one of my cushions (which is not a real problem for me). She does it when she's bored, I think.
I haven't been well since about 1 year, having meltdown and burnouts and now I got this message about Ana and I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm afraid to let her out, I'm afraid to go out myself, I ended up screaming at her and even throwing her plushball at her (soft, but all the same not ok). My other dog got so scared she hid herself in the bathroom.
My mom and dad said they're going to help me (I lost my ability to speak with poeple other than a very few selected, or total strangers about nothing important). Searching the internet is hard for me because of the mass of info (where 60% are ads).
Anuonoe has any suggestions what I can do
I can't take her out on a leash because the other dogs (from the neighbors) run free and they all get excitetd to run and play and it's total chaos.
THX

Maybe @Luca has some good ideas? She's our in-house dog training expert. :) I think she is sleeping now because of surgery but I'm sure she will see this thread later.

I agree that Luca may be able to help… That sounds right up her alley, and I think she would be especially good at thinking about your dog’s well being here. Your well-being is very important, too, of course, but dogs so easily pick up on their owner’s emotions. If the chewing is related to any sort of anxiety, which it often can be, it could be related to your relationship with your dog, and Ana is responding to the fact that you are at such a difficult point in your life right now. Or perhaps, Ana doesn’t have a strong relationship with any human right now, which can leave pet dogs feeling confused and can lead them toward trouble.

The other thing is this exercise problem. You are absolutely right that boredom is very frequently the cause of unwanted chewing and this is a need that we must address for dogs that we are caring for. If taking your dog out on a leash or letting her roam freely outside are not options, you must find a way to let her have exercise either with or without you. Find a place where you are comfortable where you and she can spend some energy or find someone else to take her. Ana must get out and get her exercise and be tired or else she will find destruction.

Many of us are familiar with this type of dog and although they can be a great challenge, sometimes their needs can also be the very thing that gets us beyond our struggles and allows us to step up into being a human that we didn’t even think we could be.

Maybe Ana can help you find your voice. Maybe helping Ana solve her troubles will also help you solve yours. Anytime a dog is getting into trouble in this way, they are giving us information about what they need, and as their caretaker, it can be a fulfilling mystery to solve, and it can be very satisfying to meet another creatures needs. I’m just trying to connect Ana’s well being with yours here, because it sounds like you are struggling, and I can relate to much of what you said.

Some ways to tire out or distract your dog that don’t involve going out and walking much could be long games of fetch in the house, wrestling, hiding treats in toys, and making doggy puzzles that they have to solve to earn treats. Huge bones that take a long time to chew can also help them get their chewing urge out in an appropriate way. You said Ana is about one year old, which is still very young, and it makes perfect sense that she is getting her energy out in this way.

I have yelled at my dog too during a meltdown, and I have always felt terrible about this. He does not deserve it and it is not right, yet he just absorbs it every time and come back to cuddle me and comfort me.

You can do this. Ana needs you. Maybe you need her, too, right now.

Hi! I'm happy to help. Sorry if this reply isn't the best, I'm recovering from an operation and I'm not feeling that well right now. But I will do my best!

Chewing is often anxiety-related, like Rodafina suggested... getting more frequent exercise and having a set routine can help with anxiety, a lot. I feed my dogs at the same time every day, take them out at the same time every day, and make sure they get about 4 to 6 hours of daily exercise and playtime in total (different breeds/types of dogs need different amounts of exercise. It's important to figure out what kind of dog you have and what their energy level is.)
What kind of dog is Ana?
My dogs have different energy levels... I have 7 dogs of very different breeds, some rescues and some not. One of my dogs is a Newfoundland, who is a pretty low-energy dog, he needs a few walks a day and loves to swim. But other than that he's kind of a couch potato and is content to just hang out while I do work around the house.
My English Pointer is a super high-energy dog and needs to run up to several miles a day. I take him hiking a few times a week and make sure he gets a few hours of fast-paced exercise a day. I usually take him to a field or a park and let him sprint for a while and run with my other dogs. He can outrun all of them.

Toys are also important... some dogs will play by themselves with toys and keep themselves occupied, or you can throw a fetch toy for them for a while or engage in interactive play.
I'm a big fan of puzzle toys and nosework toys, like toys that you can put treats in and they have to figure out how to get the treat out, or puzzles that are scent-based. They keep both the mind and body stimulated and active.
Here are some good puzzle toys that I recommend:

Nina-Ottosson-Dog-Games.jpg

These are Nina Ottosson puzzles, and can be found at outwardhound.com and chewy.com. They are reasonably priced. Some of my dogs (again, like my Pointer) can figure out these puzzles right away, so depending on how good of a problem-solver your dog is, you might need to get some of the more difficult ones. As pictured here, they come in all different styles and levels.

Training is also SUPER important. Dogs don't have to all be trained to the level that my dogs are (I compete in obedience trials with mine) but fundamental obedience training is extremely important.
You can talk to a trainer to figure out what the best options are for training. Some high-level classes can get expensive but basic obedience classes are usually somewhat reasonable.
I'm also a certified professional dog trainer and you can definitely ask me questions about training and I will be happy to help you come up with a training plan that you can do yourself, if going to a trainer isn't reasonable for you (because of cost, distance, time, etc.)

If it's an anxiety-related problem, you always want to check with your vet about anxiety. There are lots of natural supplements and medications that can help, as well as veterinary-grade medications. But I will usually use meds as a last resort if I can't solve the problem with training, exercise, or mental stimulation.

Lastly, for chewing behaviors specifically, I use sour apple spray to prevent my dogs from chewing up wires, cables, and household objects like furniture. It isn't expensive, and doesn't hurt or scare the dogs, it just tastes bad and will deter them from chewing on your stuff. My personal experience is that it's very reliable.
You can get it at any pet store or online retailer, again, like chewy.com, Amazon, or any pet supply company.

1665537675101.jpeg
8-FL-OZ.jpg

I really hope this advice helps, and feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I am very knowledgeable with many years of professional training and behavior management experience, and some veterinary knowledge, and I can definitely help, and love to help!!!

Hi! I'm happy to help. Sorry if this reply isn't the best, I'm recovering from an operation and I'm not feeling that well right now. But I will do my best!

Chewing is often anxiety-related, like Rodafina suggested... getting more frequent exercise and having a set routine can help with anxiety, a lot. I feed my dogs at the same time every day, take them out at the same time every day, and make sure they get about 4 to 6 hours of daily exercise and playtime in total (different breeds/types of dogs need different amounts of exercise. It's important to figure out what kind of dog you have and what their energy level is.)
What kind of dog is Ana?
My dogs have different energy levels... I have 7 dogs of very different breeds, some rescues and some not. One of my dogs is a Newfoundland, who is a pretty low-energy dog, he needs a few walks a day and loves to swim. But other than that he's kind of a couch potato and is content to just hang out while I do work around the house.
My English Pointer is a super high-energy dog and needs to run up to several miles a day. I take him hiking a few times a week and make sure he gets a few hours of fast-paced exercise a day. I usually take him to a field or a park and let him sprint for a while and run with my other dogs. He can outrun all of them.

Toys are also important... some dogs will play by themselves with toys and keep themselves occupied, or you can throw a fetch toy for them for a while or engage in interactive play.
I'm a big fan of puzzle toys and nosework toys, like toys that you can put treats in and they have to figure out how to get the treat out, or puzzles that are scent-based. They keep both the mind and body stimulated and active.
Here are some good puzzle toys that I recommend:

Nina-Ottosson-Dog-Games.jpg

These are Nina Ottosson puzzles, and can be found at outwardhound.com and chewy.com. They are reasonably priced. Some of my dogs (again, like my Pointer) can figure out these puzzles right away, so depending on how good of a problem-solver your dog is, you might need to get some of the more difficult ones. As pictured here, they come in all different styles and levels.

Training is also SUPER important. Dogs don't have to all be trained to the level that my dogs are (I compete in obedience trials with mine) but fundamental obedience training is extremely important.
You can talk to a trainer to figure out what the best options are for training. Some high-level classes can get expensive but basic obedience classes are usually somewhat reasonable.
I'm also a certified professional dog trainer and you can definitely ask me questions about training and I will be happy to help you come up with a training plan that you can do yourself, if going to a trainer isn't reasonable for you (because of cost, distance, time, etc.)

If it's an anxiety-related problem, you always want to check with your vet about anxiety. There are lots of natural supplements and medications that can help, as well as veterinary-grade medications. But I will usually use meds as a last resort if I can't solve the problem with training, exercise, or mental stimulation.

Lastly, for chewing behaviors specifically, I use sour apple spray to prevent my dogs from chewing up wires, cables, and household objects like furniture. It isn't expensive, and doesn't hurt or scare the dogs, it just tastes bad and will deter them from chewing on your stuff. My personal experience is that it's very reliable.
You can get it at any pet store or online retailer, again, like chewy.com, Amazon, or any pet supply company.

View attachment 86678
8-FL-OZ.jpg

I really hope this advice helps, and feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I am very knowledgeable with many years of professional training and behavior management experience, and some veterinary knowledge, and I can definitely help, and love to help!!!
Sorry if this reply isn't the best,
Luca, you are an amazing gift to dogs everywhere! This reply and your understanding of our beloved pups is definitely the best.

My dog Ruby chewed up a neighbour's car, a limited edition 50th anniversary holden ute in mint condition. We all saw her playing around the car at the time and none of us took much notice, none of us saw her do it and it couldn't have been more than half an hour that I was there.

The owner of the car didn't notice until the next morning, he wasn't too happy. Scratches all over the bonnet and both doors, both front guards completely chewed and pulled out of shape, on one front guard she'd even torn the metal.

Ruby never normally chewed anything so this was unusual. Best guess is that there was a snake in the car's engine bay. Snakes were her absolute favourite toy.

That cost me $4000.

l have learned so much with our resident dog trainer @Luca at this forum. She has been extremely generous in educating us and letting us ride with her in the journey of competitions and successes of her furry family.

Luca, you are an amazing gift to dogs everywhere! This reply and your understanding of our beloved pups is definitely the best.

l have learned so much with our resident dog trainer @Luca at this forum. She has been extremely generous in educating us and letting us ride with her in the journey of competitions and successes of her furry family.

Awww thank you both!!! It's my pleasure!

Something I don't think was mentioned (I confess ahead of time if this has already been mentioned) is re-homing Ana. I know this will not be a popular suggestion. I'm suggesting it for several reasons: I noticed that you said you were rural, that you've been struggling with meltdowns and burnout, and that it sounds like you are being triggered both by the dog and what she does and the uncomfortable situation she has caused with the neighbors. It sounds like a lot to handle. It kind of sounds like you might be feeling prisoner to her actions. Could it be that you two are not a good fit?

Many years ago, my husband's family took in some kind of spaniel. It was a high-energy dog no one had the time to train and they could not pay it the attention it needed. It ate the garden hose. It tore the stuffing out of the lawn furniture. It jumped on top of the car, permanently denting and scratching the hood and the roof. It claws left long, deep gashes in the hood. The tension in the house over their new dog was unbelievable.

Reluctantly--because they felt like theirs was to be its forever home--reluctantly, they rehomed the dog. Do you know what? The dog and its new family got along splendidly. It never bothered the new family's garden hose and outdoor furniture, and it stayed off the car. I don't know what the difference was, but this new family and the dog were a great fit.

I thought I'd toss this out there because your dog is feeling every bit the amount of tension about what's going on as you are. However, unlike you, she can't ever express it in words. She just expresses it in actions.

Try doing the other things here in these helpful replies first--especially @Luca's--before considering my suggestion. But should you try the other ideas first and are still having these stressful events that are triggering you, and if it's clear these triggers are related to your pup's behavior or actions, then I hope you will consider that maybe this may not be a good fit for you two, at least not at this time in your life.

I hope that you accept this with the kindness it is written in. I had to rehome my first corgi when we lost our home. It was a very difficult thing to do, but it was the best thing I could do for my dog. I hope that whatever you decide turns out to be the best thing you could do, both for yourself and for your pup.

My dog Ruby chewed up a neighbour's car, a limited edition 50th anniversary holden ute in mint condition. We all saw her playing around the car at the time and none of us took much notice, none of us saw her do it and it couldn't have been more than half an hour that I was there.

The owner of the car didn't notice until the next morning, he wasn't too happy. Scratches all over the bonnet and both doors, both front guards completely chewed and pulled out of shape, on one front guard she'd even torn the metal.

Ruby never normally chewed anything so this was unusual. Best guess is that there was a snake in the car's engine bay. Snakes were her absolute favourite toy.

That cost me $4000.

Oh wow, poor car. And your wallet. Maybe she was a Ford fan and just hated Holdens? :)

Luca knows her profession and is a great resource!

Puppies chew. Some breeds chew more than others. Maybe ask the butcher at the grocery store for a big beef bone. Your dog can chew on it outside the house and maybe leave the neighbors alone.

I had a beloved yellow lab who chewed everything for about 3 years - he ate through the wooden lattice work that separated his yard from the garage, escaped, got picked up by the local police, and we had to go to the jail to get him. The cops loved him and put him in a cell by himself till we showed up to claim him. I had to buy new shoes and slippers because he ate mine.

but dogs so easily pick up on their owner’s emotions.
That's so true... My other dog, Machi, gets up and goes away whenever I feel emotional. She's very sensitive.
Maybe Ana can help you find your voice. Maybe helping Ana solve her troubles will also help you solve yours.
I didn't let them out yesterday evening/night. Tried to go out with them around 5 a.m this morning, but they didn't want. So I tried again at around 7, and we didn't go far, but both my girls and two of the neighbor's dogs had fun racing and sniffing around some small compound we have here. The space is dog paradise, and I have a view at the country and the sea, plus I like the peace of the early morning hours. Ana is now sleeping, her head on my feet.

What kind of dog is Ana?
Routine... One of the things that stresses me. So far, my dogs established their own routine when to do what and where, and I only set a few parameters. There are times when they don't get out (at nights) and it's only two meals a day after walk/play and such things. Never had problems with doing things this way, and I've got a lot of dogs (through fostering).

Ana is... Husky with perhaps something shepherd? She has blue eyes and does this funny "talking" thing when she's excited. She is striped, think it's called Brindle. She was found very pregnant by a woman who took her home so she could have her babies, then neighbors out the money together to have her sprayed, but because of work and money couldn't keep her. So Ana's origins are a mystery. Her puppys all look like blonde malinoise with blue eyes and very upright ears (hers are not).

As to the chewing problem...
It's easy to handle if it happens in my space. But it's the neighbor's car she allegedly chewed (nobody saw her) and I can't go to my neighbor's and spray stuff on his car every day. There's also a difference when I go for a walk with my two alone, or if the neighbors' dogs come along because by the time we return, they all go to his place which is open on all sides to drink water from the fountain (it's an old fountain he uses for the dog's water, he has 5 dogs and of course those little waterbowls you can buy don't apply)

My girls follow their instincts, and her friends who they consider their pack. So of course they will want to go to the neighbor's as much as the neighbor dogs like to come to my yard.

As to chewing you, tug games or things like that, Ana isn't interested in any way. She wants the real deal.
But she's a fast learner, and she knows when I'm not happy with something she did.
Also, I can train her with treats when at home, but not when we are out because then I have like 10 dogs who want treats.
Maybe when the vegatayion in my yard gets mowed I can start training her a little more. My house is kind of small for certain things.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom