• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Autistamatic Video :You Don't LOOK Autistic...

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
Hi all
I have uploaded the new Autistamatic video today, linked below for your viewing pleasure :)
This is the first of 2 linked parts on the theme of "Autistic Thinking" - this first part being concerned with "Theory of Mind" and how it differs between people on and off the spectrum. I hope you enjoy.
Remember - those of us who make YouTube videos benefit hugely from every comment, like and subscription you leave us on the YouTube page itself, so if you DO like the video, please take a second or two to open it up in a YouTube window or App and tap the thumbs-up if you feel so inclined.
As always, any constructive feedback is gratefully received :)

Remember - those of us who make YouTube videos benefit hugely from every comment, like and subscription you leave us on the YouTube page itself, so if you DO like the video, please take a second or two to open it up in a YouTube window or App and tap the thumbs-up if you feel so inclined
I'm not a member of YouTube and don't know how it works, but I have noticed that people who have vlogs or post videos are all trying to get people to subscribe. What does this mean exactly, and how do you benefit from people subscribing?

This was great. Thank you for this! Women often don't "look autistic" because we are especially bullied into behaving "normally".

I'm not a member of YouTube and don't know how it works, but I have noticed that people who have vlogs or post videos are all trying to get people to subscribe. What does this mean exactly, and how do you benefit from people subscribing?

Technically speaking, everyone who has a gmail account is a "member" of YouTube, which means everyone who has a device with the Android operating system can log in with their gmail address.
Subscribing is part of the algorithm that determines which videos get recommended to users. If you, as a viewer, subscribe to a channel then it is much more likely that one of that channel's videos will show up as a recommended choice for you.
From the perspective of the channel, the chances of your video being recommended to non-subscribers or coming up high in searches (including google searches) are increased by the number of times your content has been viewed, subscribed to, liked and commented upon. Essentially, the more popular it becomes, the more likely that more people will see it through recommendation.
If a channel is monetised (which mine is not so far) then more views means more revenue. In Autistamatic's case - more views means the message gets to more people, and since the intent is to inform, the more the better :)

Technically speaking, everyone who has a gmail account is a "member" of YouTube, which means everyone who has a device with the Android operating system can log in with their gmail address.
Subscribing is part of the algorithm that determines which videos get recommended to users. If you, as a viewer, subscribe to a channel then it is much more likely that one of that channel's videos will show up as a recommended choice for you.
From the perspective of the channel, the chances of your video being recommended to non-subscribers or coming up high in searches (including google searches) are increased by the number of times your content has been viewed, subscribed to, liked and commented upon. Essentially, the more popular it becomes, the more likely that more people will see it through recommendation.
If a channel is monetised (which mine is not so far) then more views means more revenue. In Autistamatic's case - more views means the message gets to more people, and since the intent is to inform, the more the better :)
Thanks for explaining :)

Just one thing - I have a gmail account, but use Windows OS, not Android. I tried 'liking' and subscribing and it seemed to work. So what does it do, send me new videos via gmail?

It works on any device, any operating system :)
If you are on an Android device then you're automatically logged in by default when you use the android app - you can log out or switch accounts, but default position is to be logged in as your main identity.
I don't normally get emails about new stuff, but there may be an option to turn such a feature on - I've not looked. I do get "notifications" from the Android app though, but only from channels where I have clicked the bell icon.

As if someone can "look Autistic." Nobody looks autistic - it's a neurological problem and not necessarily a physical disability. Ignorance like this really grinds my gears.

As if someone can "look Autistic." Nobody looks autistic - it's a neurological problem and not necessarily a physical disability. Ignorance like this really grinds my gears.

EXACTLY - but I know I'm not the only one who has had it said to them - and more than once! I actually noticed that another autistic YouTuber (Aspergers from the Inside) has a video on the same topic with a similar title.

aye, I'm sure the same outrage could be said with people who have Down Syndrome but are high functioning; i.g. They can take care of themselves without any 3rd party help of any sort

EXACTLY - but I know I'm not the only one who has had it said to them - and more than once! I actually noticed that another autistic YouTuber (Aspergers from the Inside) has a video on the same topic with a similar title.
I have had it said to me on numerous occasions and it's made me very angry.

I've asked a few of them what they meant by it and each has given a different answer:
1. "Oh I dunno... You know... Different..."
2. "Well 'they' flap their hands about and stuff don't 'they'? And talk to themselves and stuff."
3. (Probably the most insulting of all) "I don't know why you're looking at me like that, it was meant to be a compliment!"

I got one of those "But you don't seem autistic" comments earlier this week...

New Threads

Top Bottom